Colour clash query

For experts to discuss very technical stuff and newbies to ask why the Spectrum they bought off ebay doesn't work.
catmeows
Manic Miner

Re: Colour clash query

Post by catmeows »

AndyC wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 11:00 pm The problem with a scheme like that is it requires masses of extra logic gates to gain a small amount of colours. The simplicity of the existing scheme is that the colours can be generated quite easily from the bitwise pattern.
Not necessary, french Thomson (if I remember it correctly) translates IRGB using fast PROM, to different pallete, replacing dull white by orange and dull black by 50% gray.
Proud owner of Didaktik M
AndyC
Dynamite Dan

Post by AndyC »

catmeows wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 5:41 pm Not necessary, french Thomson (if I remember it correctly) translates IRGB using fast PROM, to different pallete, replacing dull white by orange and dull black by 50% gray.
That works OK for 16 colours (although if you're going that far in the design it's questionable why you would fix the palette entirely), but when you start introducing lots of extra rules like "If PAPER and INK match then the colour is Sky" or "If the Advanced bit is set then reinterpret the screen bits using an entirely different system" then you have no choice but to add a lot of extra decoding logic inside the ULA itself.
catmeows
Manic Miner

Post by catmeows »

AndyC wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 9:42 am That works OK for 16 colours (although if you're going that far in the design it's questionable why you would fix the palette entirely), but when you start introducing lots of extra rules like "If PAPER and INK match then the colour is Sky" or "If the Advanced bit is set then reinterpret the screen bits using an entirely different system" then you have no choice but to add a lot of extra decoding logic inside the ULA itself.
Sure, I agree, I just wanted to share interesting fun fact :)
Proud owner of Didaktik M