Computing Today

Anything relating to non Sinclair computers from the 1980's, 90's or even before.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Computing Today

Post by PeterJ »

RetroPDF announced today that they have a full set of Computing Today scans available. Download from the normal place.
8BitAG
Dynamite Dan

Re: Computing Today

Post by 8BitAG »

I'd always grabbed them from Flaxcottage in the past...
https://www.flaxcottage.com/ComputingToday/default.asp

(That site is also great for Games Computing, but the February 1985 issue of is still unarchived anywhere as far as I know)
8-bit Text Adventure Gamer - games - research.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Thanks Gareth,

I'm assuming (based on previous downloads), that these are high dpi scans and OCR. I'm downloading the torrent now.

Those versions you pointed to are great for use on my phone though. Thanks
8BitAG
Dynamite Dan

Post by 8BitAG »

Yeah, I tend to use the Flax Cottage ones as they are quite easily browsable. The versions on the site aren't searchable though, and I'm not sure all the issues are on archive.org, so these new OCRed versions would be potentially be very useful. Computing Today has been invaluable for research into very early British text adventure stuff, such as the early Level 9 games.

I'm less bothered about resolution and more interested in decently OCRed texts. Although obviously the first can help with the second.
8-bit Text Adventure Gamer - games - research.
Joefish
Rick Dangerous

Post by Joefish »

Blimey, those copies of 'Games Computing' are fun to look over. I like the DSS software listing in the first few pages of the May issue - for 'Pimble Wizard' on the VIC 20 :lol: Some sort of dictation error there, I think. Anyone any idea what 'Omertron' (Software Projects, Spectrum) might be?

The cover of that issue looked a lot like later Sinclair Programs art, but it looks like a different publisher. Maybe freelance artists though?
SkoolKid
Manic Miner

Post by SkoolKid »

Joefish wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 2:00 pm Anyone any idea what 'Omertron' (Software Projects, Spectrum) might be?
Ometron, probably.
SkoolKit - disassemble a game today
Pyskool - a remake of Skool Daze and Back to Skool
Joefish
Rick Dangerous

Post by Joefish »

SkoolKid wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 2:20 pm Ometron, probably.
Guess I should have looked it up under the publisher! :lol:
Never heard of it though, and it looks pretty impressive! (Except for regularly being struck from behind with no warning!!!)
Box art is preposterously sh*t though.