Memory saving in BASIC - summary table

The place for codemasters or beginners to talk about programming any language for the Spectrum.
C.Born
Manic Miner

Re: Memory saving in BASIC - summary table

Post by C.Born »

Dr Beep uses data like

RESTORE: DATA INT PI, a+a, a*a, a*b*c : READ a,b,c,a
SNG
Drutt

Post by SNG »

equinox wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 6:18 pm Nine Tiles, what were you thinking? You were thinking "oh hell it has to be done by Thursday".
I know John Grant. Your mockery is misplaced. Clive Sinclair flatly refused to spend a few thousand pounds to have the BASIC intended for a 1K computer refactored for 48K or more, insisted on minimal bullet-point driven changes for the Spectrum and then shipped the unfinished work in 1982 without telling the contractors. Three months later, after reneging on an agreement to pay royalties on the zx81 manual, the relationship broke down.

Amstrad was only able to complete the purchase of Sinclair IP by biking a large sum to Nine Tiles on the day, when they found out Sinclair never owned the Spectrum ROM code.
equinox
Dynamite Dan

Post by equinox »

SNG wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 3:52 pm I know John Grant. Your mockery is misplaced. Clive Sinclair flatly refused to spend a few thousand pounds to have the BASIC intended for a 1K computer refactored for 48K or more, insisted on minimal bullet-point driven changes for the Spectrum and then shipped the unfinished work in 1982 without telling the contractors. Three months later, after reneging on an agreement to pay royalties on the zx81 manual, the relationship broke down.

Amstrad was only able to complete the purchase of Sinclair IP by biking a large sum to Nine Tiles on the day, when they found out Sinclair never owned the Spectrum ROM code.
I was pretty scared SNG when you popped up overnight and replied to all my threads. I thought the FBI was finally onto me.
Fortunately it was just someone who knew John Grant.
Sounds plausible though, and I posted drunk, as always, so I hope you and he may take my apologies. (And would love to hear more about "bullet-point driven changes".) This is the real Micro Men.

Funnily enough people were talking about the C5 in the Queen's Head last night, because someone mentioned "electric vehicles"... mmm... "oh that crazy old Sir Clive"... as though nothing had changed since 1982.