Killer Kong screenshot

This is the place to request ZXDB corrections (add missing data or fix incorrect information)

Moderators: druellan, pavero

Gears of Games
Drutt

Killer Kong screenshot

Post by Gears of Games »

I noticed that the in-game screenshot on Killer Kong looks different compared to all the versions available. There is one version labelled "different", but it still looks the same as the other versions. Just wondering if maybe there's been a mix-up. Or possibly we don't have the differently looking version on file. Also bit curious what is different between versions, if anyone knows...
✓ Reviewed
Gears of Games
Drutt

Re: Killer Kong screenshot

Post by Gears of Games »

To clarify things a bit. Here's two screenshots, showing some of the differences.

Screenshot from SPC

Screenshot from the "different" version, that looks like all the other versions available for DL (I think).
Stefan
Manic Miner

Post by Stefan »

There are four main file downloads:
1. tzx - blaby different
2. tap - blaby
3. tzx - blaby
4. tzx - prism

1, 2 and 4 seem identical, but the Kong sprite on tzx #3 matches the screen shot and also the map.
✓ Reviewed
Gears of Games
Drutt

Post by Gears of Games »

Stefan wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 12:52 pm There are four main file downloads:
1. tzx - blaby different
2. tap - blaby
3. tzx - blaby
4. tzx - prism

1, 2 and 4 seem identical, but the Kong sprite on tzx #3 matches the screen shot and also the map.
What the!? You are right! But I went through all of them using the JSSpeccy links and they were all the same! Maybe some sort of linking problem in my browser or maybe someone fixed it. Because it was a couple of weeks ago that I went through them! Thanks for clearing it up!

Anyway, carry o now, nothing else to see here! 😁
druellan
Dynamite Dan

Post by druellan »

Oh, this worth a note in the game entry.

Based on the inlays, it seems that here are indeed two Blaby Computer Games releases.

Release #1 has no title screen and the old kong graphic, and it is preserved as the tape image #3
Release #2 has a title screen and a better kong graphic, and it is preserved in the tape image #1, having a TAP conversion as tape #2
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

Nice spot!

It looks like the game on the first screenshot is the original one and the game on
the second screenshot is a later version with improved graphics.
Gears of Games
Drutt

Post by Gears of Games »

druellan wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:26 pm Oh, this worth a note in the game entry.

Based on the inlays, it seems that here are indeed two Blaby Computer Games releases.

Release #1 has no title screen and the old kong graphic, and it is preserved as the tape image #3
Release #2 has a title screen and a better kong graphic, and it is preserved in the tape image #1, having a TAP conversion as tape #2
Thanks for looking into this. Definitely worth a note... :)