Space 1999: the Invasion

People are still making stuff for the Sinclair related machines. Tell us about new games and other software that runs on the Spectrum, ZX80/ZX81, Pentagon and Next.
Andre Leao
Bugaboo

Re: Space 1999: the Invasion

Post by Andre Leao »

Timmy wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:03 pm I feel like talking about GAC might deserve another thread, or discord. So that we can discuss your game here instead.

Should I make a GAC related thread later? (not home today until late in the evening).

EDIT. I'm very cautious about talking about GAC. The last time I did something for it, it had 0 downloads.
I´m more than happy to promote your GAC projects ;)
equinox
Dynamite Dan

Post by equinox »

Timmy wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:03 pm I feel like talking about GAC might deserve another thread, or discord. So that we can discuss your game here instead.
Should I make a GAC related thread later? (not home today until late in the evening).
EDIT. I'm very cautious about talking about GAC. The last time I did something for it, it had 0 downloads.
0 downloads doesn't mean you are wrong. It means people aren't reading.
Anton Chekhov didn't hire an SEO company. He just wrote good stuff, and you can either read it or forget it.
Please create a GAC thread if you want to discuss GAC.
ICreateWorlds_dotNet
Drutt

Post by ICreateWorlds_dotNet »

equinox wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:44 am Reply to ICreateWorlds_dotNet:

Believe it or not, I'm an Englishman who knows James Bond and The Prisoner, but I had no idea that "Space 1999" was a TV series. I thought it was just a new Spectrum game. So it was total guesswork -- I didn't know anything about the characters or skills. I had to disassemble the game to find out the solution. (And the guess-the-verb problem is really serious. USE KEY versus UNLOCK DOOR. You must get this right. You know this by the way you mixed up CALL and TELL. It was almost a game requiring point-and-click like 1990s Monkey Island.)

I have studied your game by breaking it apart, and I hope to produce a solution (NORTH, WEST, BLAH) and a visual map. I think Andre might do it before me, then I will be very angry :) but we will see.

Andre Leao is very cool, yes :)

If you want to make a big serious adventure drama, then use a modern tech like Inform 7. (I've released games in that format before, and I hope to do more. I love 8-bit but it's tiny when you want text.)
Your game was presented to us like a "found lost" (the child in the doorway of the church)...
Anyway: even as a boring hacker, I got hours of pleasure from it, and so will others. Thank you :)
Hi, thank you for enjoying it, even with all that - guess the verb - thing. I cannot comment on anything because I don´t even recall my thoughts when creating the game. Also, my English back then was way more limited, so I apologise for all the confusion. :D
Second, how can an Englishman who knows of stuff like "The Prisoner," which is now way more obscure than Space 1999, never hear or come across an episode of Space 1999? :D Here in Portugal was huge for several years, to the point that the series kept re-running throughout the decades and even created memories in a couple of generations.

Regarding GAC, I love to use it, because I can write games now in no time. If I don´t do anything else, I can create and write a GAC game from scratch in about three days now, including illustrating the map at the end too. For me is like using GAC as a personal notebook/sketchbook. In fact I use GAC as a sketchbook for stories, because it´s fantastic to structure a story for a book while at the same time im creating the puzzles for the game. It´s like two in one.
Although I know there are plenty of other parser text game creator tools out there, the reason i like GAC is because it´s a ZX Spectrum thing and that bit of nostalgia is very important. So I may be in the future try to write an adventure game elsewhere but for now I will stay with GAC. I already have a ton of games planned so It´s just a matter of creating them.

So stay tuned, plenty more stuff is coming. I´m now creating the story for game 2 of my "A Terrific Weekend Adventure" series, and once I get that one done in GAC and also as book 2 of the series, I have more stuff coming out.
In the meantime I will be creating a page for the Space 1999 game on my https://icreateworlds.itch.io/ area so, if you have a map or a solution and want to send me later I can post it there too.
Thanks !
ICreateWorlds_dotNet
Drutt

Post by ICreateWorlds_dotNet »

Timmy wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:03 pm I'm very cautious about talking about GAC. The last time I did something for it, it had 0 downloads.
Maybe you did not promote it enough or thought that people wouldn´t care about it from the start and so you put no real effort into it. It happens sometimes. Was it a GAC game or an article somewhere about GAC ?... I loved GAC from the moment it was released way back then. Even when reviews were not so fond of it I always thought it had real potential to create fun adventures. I love it, particularly now that I know how to work with it to do all sorts of adventure structures many people thought couldn´t be done, like having multiple characters and storylines in one game , etc. It´s fun.
8-)
+3code
Manic Miner

Post by +3code »

Timmy wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:03 pm Should I make a GAC related thread later? (not home today until late in the evening).
Yes, why not? Plant the seed. I like the GAC language, but the PAWS with its "condacts" was the winner back in the day. Maybe if the GAC had the improvements provided by Gilsoft to the PAWS (128k support, compression, disk support, etc) the history could be other. But never is too late, some say.
ianace
Manic Miner

Post by ianace »

Is this available yet? Cannot seem to find it!

Looks interesting.
Andre Leao
Bugaboo

Post by Andre Leao »

It is included in the Woot! Magazine
ianace
Manic Miner

Post by ianace »

Thank you