C.S.S.C.G.C 2024 is/will be/has open/ing/ed

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
TMD2003
Rick Dangerous

Re: C.S.S.C.G.C 2024 is/will be/has open/ing/ed

Post by TMD2003 »

@EdToo - with a bit of luck, you've just received my latest crime against NextBASIC. Thunderbird tells me I've sent the message and the attachment that goes with it, but the window didn't close itself. If it hasn't arrived, nail a piece of parchment to my front door that says "send it again".

Everyone else - brace yourselves for what the Son Of Spectrum can do in my hands, after a bit more practice with tiles and sprites. @R-Tape, I see your "UDG King" status and this is what I raise you.
Spectribution: Dr. Jim's Sinclair computing pages.
Features my own programs, modified type-ins, RZXs, character sets & UDGs, and QL type-ins... so far!
equinox
Dynamite Dan

Post by equinox »

EdToo wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:44 am Entirely possible with the state the game left me in.
the absolute state
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

TMD2003 wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:49 pm Everyone else - brace yourselves for what the Son Of Spectrum can do in my hands, after a bit more practice with tiles and sprites.
⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
⬜⬜⬜⬜⬛⬛⬜⬜
⬜⬜⬛⬛⬛⬛⬛⬜
⬜⬜⬛⬛⬜⬛⬛⬛
⬜⬜⬜⬜⬛⬛⬛⬛
⬜⬜⬜⬜⬛⬜⬜⬜
⬜⬜⬜⬛⬛⬜⬜⬜

Brace position assumed until further notice.
@R-Tape, I see your "UDG King" status and this is what I raise you.
Though going by this thread, my money's on @Red Zebra for this title. He did some dungeon crawler too IIRC.
equinox
Dynamite Dan

Post by equinox »

R-Tape wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 8:50 pm Brace position assumed until further notice.
If you're on a crashing aeroplane, powered by a Spectrum (quite likely), and it's necessary to say "brace! brace!" in as few bytes as possible: I reckon we could do it in three. "BR" is obviously a line break, like in HTML, and "ace" means 1, so you could use either 0x01 or 0x31. And it's inefficient to repeat it when you can simply--
AHHH GET OFF ME
equinox
Dynamite Dan

Post by equinox »

(equinox is later informed about Morse code)
and hospitalised
again
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

equinox wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 8:55 pm If you're on a crashing aeroplane, powered by a Spectrum (quite likely), and it's necessary to say "brace! brace!" in as few bytes as possible
Actually would a Speccy be allowed on a plane, EM noise and all that? I know FM radio is impossible in my house when it's on, though modern planes probably don't rely on the radio 4 frequency...
equinox
Dynamite Dan

Post by equinox »

R-Tape wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:07 pm Actually would a Speccy be allowed on a plane, EM noise and all that? I know FM radio is impossible in my house when it's on, though modern planes probably don't rely on the radio 4 frequency...
sure
are you still wondering why your analogue TV has been fuzzy snow since 2012?
better than the bake-off anyway.

From the "learn something new every day" department: TV nerds used to call that snow "shash".
equinox
Dynamite Dan

Post by equinox »

So after making the best Screwball Scramble game ON ANY PLATFORM (this is hilariously true) last year -- what will I do this year?
I have had a couple of funny ideas:
one: it's a platform game, but you are the platform, and trying to make the guy fall on spikes.
[..... oh there are more.]
You can steal my ideas. Actually at some past time I said "I will send my old CGC ideas on demand" and our SpectrumComputing Peter asked me, and I sent them to him -- but he has been conspicuously quiet in making any of them.

This year I thought I might make "Nikki's Revenge" which was a total head trip in about 1987 when i had a crush on my sister's friend Nicola (everyone was called Nicola in the 80s and my sister had at least two friends of that name). it was basically Super Mario.
(I WAS SEVEN)
-- but I've already done a shitty Mario game in CSSCGC years ago, it was Super Zite Land.

More likely: "Rock Painter", probably my first 'game idea' ever, you had to walk around platforms and ladders and step on every piece to colour it. *and* you could humorously push paint tins off the edge of the wall to cover the enemies in paint and leave them blinking in frustration. i think that was my first ever game idea. i could code that now, but it's poor game design because the chances of having the enemy right under your paint pot are quite small. also: it's the same game as Space Panic.

watch this "space".
EdToo
Manic Miner

Post by EdToo »

After a short delay caused by real life I've caught up with reviews. Many thanks for the patience of the contestants who have been eagerly refreshing this thread for the past fortnight.

The reviews are here

Katakombs of Kakrafon - Jim Waterman

Level Up - Samuel Pedigo
cmpltly awsme bgl simlater - Samuel Pedigo
https://csscgc24.blogspot.com/2024/02/adventureerutnevda-sam-pedigo.html
TMD2003
Rick Dangerous

Post by TMD2003 »

Ah, finally! Real life can be a pain. I was busy moving house for part of my time in CSSCGC Towers, and had two decorating projects on the boil in June... one of which was financially motivated. That was fun. Crap games were a welcome release from the job in hand.

I'm slightly surprised you didn't pick up on a very obvious clue in the Extra-Groovy-Awesome device regarding the "alternative not-a-Spectrum" colour palette, which definitely isn't anything to do with a Bread Bin. Next time, though, I might make an Advanced Bread Bin Colour Simulator...

Examine the listing and you'll find out how I did l Too big, 4242:42 - it is not a mistake. If I was in the business of making mistakes, I'd have joined the Sirius Cybernetics Corporation. The game resetting second time round is a mistake, but it's a mistake with CSpect. That I do know.

I have no idea where all that noise on the title screen in your screenshot came from, but I will further assure anyone that it is not there in the real thing. It looks like what happens when CSpect crashes.

And to be fair to Paul's original game, there are defined UDGs in it, but your guess is as good as mine as to why they didn't show up.
Features my own programs, modified type-ins, RZXs, character sets & UDGs, and QL type-ins... so far!
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Post by 1024MAK »

H2G2 detected :!:

Mark
:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :dance
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
Dr beep
Manic Miner

Post by Dr beep »

I just sent in
"The Dutch Art Of Doing Nothing A.K.A. 'NIKSEN'-Simulator"
EdToo
Manic Miner

Post by EdToo »

Dr beep wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:52 pm I just sent in
"The Dutch Art Of Doing Nothing A.K.A. 'NIKSEN'-Simulator"
Now reviewed
Dr beep
Manic Miner

Post by Dr beep »

EdToo wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 12:28 pm Now reviewed
some background info

https://www.bbc.com/travel/article/2023 ... -the-world

BTW the screen is just a drawing from internet altered with software into a scr.
The program took me yesterday evening. So still time enough to do nothing afterwards.
EdToo
Manic Miner

Post by EdToo »

Dr beep wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 2:57 pm The program took me yesterday evening. So still time enough to do nothing afterwards.
:D
equinox
Dynamite Dan

Post by equinox »

Hmm, perhaps now we need a kalsarikännit simulator (Finnish word for hanging around in one's underwear boozing).
EdToo
Manic Miner

Post by EdToo »

equinox wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 6:27 pm Hmm, perhaps now we need a kalsarikännit simulator (Finnish word for hanging around in one's underwear boozing).
Text only hopefully.
Dr beep
Manic Miner

Post by Dr beep »

equinox wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 6:27 pm Hmm, perhaps now we need a kalsarikännit simulator (Finnish word for hanging around in one's underwear boozing).
The CSSCGC can never have enough simulators.
I think that each year has at least 1 simulator.

I even won once with a simulator as did other simulators.
equinox
Dynamite Dan

Post by equinox »

EdToo wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 6:38 pm Text only hopefully.
I dunno, I'm imagining a man in a cute little blocky room with TV, fridge, etc... I may make this game when I finish my more serious little game project (which only needs another day or two, I guess -- game is done really, but I want to do a +3 disk version so I have to work out how to make a bootable one).

I could also Videoface-digitise myself in my underwear... boozy belly hanging slightly over the frayed top of the M&S boxers, covered with old pizza stains. Sending Bitcoin may convince me to omit this feature.
EdToo
Manic Miner

Post by EdToo »

equinox wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:02 pm I dunno, I'm imagining a man in a cute little blocky room with TV, fridge, etc... I may make this game when I finish my more serious little game project (which only needs another day or two, I guess -- game is done really, but I want to do a +3 disk version so I have to work out how to make a bootable one).

I could also Videoface-digitise myself in my underwear... boozy belly hanging slightly over the frayed top of the M&S boxers, covered with old pizza stains. Sending Bitcoin may convince me to omit this feature.
OMG! What is your bitcoin address :lol: :lol: :lol:
TMD2003
Rick Dangerous

Post by TMD2003 »

Oi! @EdToo! Wake up! I've just solved two of your latest mysteries. Also, review my last entry, there's barely even a kilobyte of it. Mush!
TMD2003
Rick Dangerous

Post by TMD2003 »

Good news, everyone! Ed has mushed, and there's a review. Also, for those who have to add this to ZXDB, it's "Advanced Orb Pondering Simulator", as opposed to anything else you might see in the review title.

It doesn't look like much, and it isn't much... but it is the first time I've ever written a game, albeit in the loosest sense of the word, in 100% MACHINE CODE!

That was a big thing in 1982. I might not be fast, but I get there in the end.
TMD2003
Rick Dangerous

Post by TMD2003 »

Good news, everyone!

@EdToo seems to have disappeared from here, but has recently posted a couple more entries, one by @Jbizzel for the QL. I approve.

Anyway - for anyone wanting to write crap Next games, as I am, @Seven.FFF has posted a fully-working MMC image with NextOS 2.08, which I've just tested with CSpect 2.19.4.4 and it has no problems running what I've just written on a real KS2 Next, but was failing horribly with 2.06H still installed.

GET IT HERE, if that sounds like something you need.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Thanks for the heads-up Jim.

Congrats on your first 100% machine code game. So good I played it twice (as instructed).

Despite it actually running on QPC2, I've added Mona Loser to the DB queue as a QL game. Can't think of a better way to do it.

UNIS is actually pretty good. Does anyone know who the mysterious author V2E is? And why does the TZX have "Happy April 1st 2024" in the tape browser? Anything we need to know? :?
Seven.FFF
Manic Miner

Post by Seven.FFF »

TMD2003 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 3:03 pm Anyway - for anyone wanting to write crap Next games, as I am, @Seven.FFF has posted a fully-working MMC image with NextOS 2.08, which I've just tested with CSpect 2.19.4.4 and it has no problems running what I've just written on a real KS2 Next, but was failing horribly with 2.06H still installed.
If you want to add a suitably over-elaborate crap version check, you can do something like:

Code: Select all

10 .nextver a
 20 IF a>=2.08 THEN GO TO 100
 30 PRINT "Please upgrade NextZXOS to 2.08 or higher"
 30 STOP
100 REM carry on with game
Robin Verhagen-Guest
SevenFFF / Threetwosevensixseven / colonel32
NXtel NXTP ESP Update ESP Reset CSpect Plugins