C.S.S.C.G.C 2024 is/will be/has open/ing/ed

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
EdToo
Manic Miner

Re: C.S.S.C.G.C 2024 is/will be/has open/ing/ed

Post by EdToo »

R-Tape wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:14 pm Vengeance is bizzel's! Compliments on the out of screen errors.
I knew there was something I forgot to mention while testing. I need to keep better notes.
Jbizzel
Dynamite Dan

Post by Jbizzel »

R-Tape wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:14 pm I've done this screen to go in the DB (Tokyo at sunset). If anyone has anything better save a snapshot and we can use that instead.
Nice use of OVER there.
R-Tape wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:14 pm Vengeance is bizzel's! Compliments on the out of screen errors.
Yes a willful own goal that escaped unnoticed. I was most please with the H key that used OVER to toggle the help screen on and off. You can get a more authentic E-A-S experience without the help text.
EdToo
Manic Miner

Post by EdToo »

Jbizzel wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:55 pm I was most please with the H key that used OVER to toggle the help screen on and off.
That was a nice touch.
TMD2003
Rick Dangerous

Post by TMD2003 »

Can confirm: porridge with black treacle works well. Is that in the Porridge Roulette database?

Can also confirm: as of this evening, I have a very rudimentary skeleton for a Next game with a sprite moving around on the screen making beep-beep noises. Most of my effort has gone into the title screen. If my approach to the CSSCGC involves extreme turd-polishing, this one's had a generous coat of Brasso while it's still wedged in my lower intestine. Give me a few days and a large helping of Hermes Conrad's infamous jerk prunes, and... here it comes!
Spectribution: Dr. Jim's Sinclair computing pages.
Features my own programs, modified type-ins, RZXs, character sets & UDGs, and QL type-ins... so far!
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

TMD2003 wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:28 pm Can confirm: porridge with black treacle works well. Is that in the Porridge Roulette database?
I've tried that before and it's like sloppy Parkin, which is nice in my book. I can't check right now, but the closest thing in the list might be molasses. Get thee to the health food shop lad!
Hermes Conrad's infamous jerk prunes, and... here it comes!
There's another niche porridge.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Well, I span Porridge Roulette until I had 5 things I was willing to consider. I played safe and went for porridge with rocket (arugula to some), which was fine. It just looked like I was doing some new year cleansing diet or something.

Porridge with anchovy fillet was another option, and I do have a tin that is nearing the use by date, but I didn't want to risk throwing up at work.
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

R-Tape wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:04 pm Porridge with anchovy fillet was another option, and I do have a tin that is nearing the use by date, but I didn't want to risk throwing up at work.
Work kitchen? Go for porridge and surströmming, that way your work colleagues won't feel left out when you're throwing up.
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
EdToo
Manic Miner

Post by EdToo »

Morkin wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:22 pm surströmming.
:cry: I feel queasy just at the thought.
TMD2003
Rick Dangerous

Post by TMD2003 »

For the record, I've eaten surströmming and I wasn't sick. The worst part of it is how foully salty it is. Take your average anchovy and double it, and you're somewhere near the salt level we're dealing with. The stench of rotting fish is a mere secondary problem. Don't put it on your porridge.

Maybe "Porridge Roulette II" could be a game along the lines of "what will Mr Mackay find under FLETCHAAAAAARRR!'s pillow when his cell is inspected?" Will it be a letter from Ingrid, will it be some socks that Godber has just darned, or will it be an illicit tin of Spam nicked from the prison canteen?

And will Fletch put that Spam on his porridge when he gets out of two weeks in solitary confinement?

Will there be a Spectrumified animated scene of Mr Mackay twisting his neck along the lines of Poke Alex In The Eye?

(If you've never watched 1970s British sitcoms, or looked into the early history of the CSSCGC, all this is very funny.)
Spectribution: Dr. Jim's Sinclair computing pages.
Features my own programs, modified type-ins, RZXs, character sets & UDGs, and QL type-ins... so far!
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

Morkin wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:22 pm surströmming
At first I thought it was one of those Ikea dishes, the usual 8 meatballs made up of swedish reindeer or so for only 4,95 €, but then I googled it...

Man! You don't know how I miss the old saucer thread! :dance
EdToo
Manic Miner

Post by EdToo »

A new delight has appeared Art House.
Jbizzel
Dynamite Dan

Post by Jbizzel »

Nice review, thanks :)

When you lose the game it should create a new splash screen with the level where you died, like above.

I enjoyed making this one, and playing it, although the play area is tiny!

I should add that I learned about the screen$ trick from Spectrum Cross, on cassette 50 - fitting!
Last edited by Jbizzel on Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
uglifruit
Manic Miner

Post by uglifruit »

What a great idea for a game. Almost like laying down clay, and also sculpting away at it.
CLEAR 23855
Jbizzel
Dynamite Dan

Post by Jbizzel »

@uglifruit Have you been watching pottery throw down by any chance? We certainly have.

Maybe we could make a crap game where you have to make a pot the sets Keith off crying.

Your games from last year certainly were part of my inspiration.

It was fun to code this without any real idea of what I was trying to do and no end point in mind. Etch-a-snake was a half though thought, then I thought a bout making a snake game in one single attribute. As I was testing thoughts I set the code to some times draw a line and sometime erase the line depending on direction of travel, and I really liked the way just moving around left these weird patterns on the screen.

All the time I was thinking - but this isn't a game yet. Then I remembered the way Spectrum Cross uses something like:

Code: Select all

IF  SCREEN$ (x,y)=" " THEN...

To do collision detection, and suddenly my stupid code was now a game.

It is interesting to see Ed's scores for each level, as I think I can do all over them in under 500 moves. What is your approach @EdToo ?

I think "H" and "T" are other levels that you could try. They would be quite hard! I think "+" could be doable, but it is probably very difficult with the precision that would be needed.
EdToo
Manic Miner

Post by EdToo »

My approach was to do many, many circles trying to turn at the right time, very unsuccessfully.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

I'm still working out my strategy. If only level 1 was the underscore!
EdToo
Manic Miner

Post by EdToo »

R-Tape wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:55 am I'm still working out my strategy. If only level 1 was the underscore!
I thought that, it is the easiest to draw. I think I wanted it yo draw going down as well as left to right.
PROSM
Manic Miner

Post by PROSM »

Cool little game! What a novel idea it is, but it's quite tricky to see what's going on at that size, even on an emulator at 2x magnification. My first attempt got me a final score of 2242, just going in little circles to draw and then selectively erase parts. The hardest bit is trying to compensate for the key delay when you're changing direction.
Spoiler
All software to-date
Working on something, as always.
EdToo
Manic Miner

Post by EdToo »

The key delay got me every time, congratulations on completing it.
Jbizzel
Dynamite Dan

Post by Jbizzel »

glad people had fun with this one.

Maybe a compiled basic version would work well to remove the input slow down. Making the game tiny and hard to see was part of the 'crap idea', I wonder if I could make it double size - but not sure it would really work as a 'good' game.

Anyway, I can do the last level in 379! no pressure.

The _ probably should be the first level, but that's the beauty of basic, the levels are all listed at the start of the code, so very easy to make your own version :)

T is totally doable, as I tried it last night. H is ridiculous - not possible.

firelord
Manic Miner

Post by firelord »

All last entries seem great. I'm waiting to see them in the SC ZXDB so I can try them online.
I still have 2 entries 80-90% ready but no time to finish them or to organize the promotional campaign (which is more important than the games themselves).

The Spanish forum friends game me an idea for a 3rd game... I don't think I'll be able to implement it with Lantern or DAAD/Adventuoron so I might use plain Basic.

Also, a question : Is there a quick way to find the CSSCGC winner entries the last years? https://www.yoursinclair.co.uk/csscgc/csscgc.cgi?rank=1 is not updated anymore and has data until 2014.
This is a source of great winning ideas :)
EdToo
Manic Miner

Post by EdToo »

Thanks to @R-Tape we have a strong contender
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

EdToo wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 4:15 pm Thanks to @R-Tape we have a strong contender
WHAT A SCORE! :dance

Another cracking review. I didn't realise that Rob Reiner is actually Marty Dibergi.

And thanks - we want you on that wall Ed, playing the crap games... we need you on that wall.
equinox
Dynamite Dan

Post by equinox »

That UDG of the film director in "Director" is really impressive. He's got his little chair (or maybe he is standing up, and has three legs or a giant wang), and his little megaphone, and you can tell it's a film director — not the easiest thing to convey — in 8×8 pixels. Good UDGing, I approve. Now do the rest of the Unicode emoji.

By the way, am I missing something or did you omit to mention who submitted and wrote this game?
EdToo
Manic Miner

Post by EdToo »

equinox wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:49 pm By the way, am I missing something or did you omit to mention who submitted and wrote this game?
Entirely possible with the state the game left me in. Dave Hughes the UDG King. I'll adjust the article later.