Bell of Witch

People are still making stuff for the Sinclair related machines. Tell us about new games and other software that runs on the Spectrum, ZX80/ZX81, Pentagon and Next.
Vag
Drutt

Bell of Witch

Post by Vag »

Hello,
Bell of Witch is a Slovak text-only adventure from 1995, by Ayland (Maroš Dzoba).

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Like with Duck tales, I used ChatGPT to help me translate it, as I don't speak Slovak.
It was the first text adventure I started translating, three months ago, even though I released Duck tales in between. There was a barrier, a compressed screen that I couldn't edit (see here and here), and this stopped me. At least, this led to a much better translation/hack, as I learned a lot by translating Duck tales, and also I had more time to perfect it.
Catmeows offered to help with the compressed screen, and he also helped with other things, as he updated the code and fixed bugs. He was really helpful, I can't help him enough.

If you need to know what the available items are, here they are:
Spoiler
bag of money
bowling ball
broom
coin
corpse of a woman
hidden switch
key
lighter
man
mousetrap
pickaxe
stuffed tiger
switch
UV lamp
wire
You can see the map here:
Spoiler
The map is based on the Slovak version map, by Pavero.
You can download the game and the map on my obsoletegr.itch.io page.
Jbizzel
Dynamite Dan

Re: Bell of Witch

Post by Jbizzel »

Ace.

How do I "USE SWITCH"?

Nothing works :(
Vag
Drutt

Post by Vag »

Jbizzel wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 11:17 amAce.
Thank you!
Jbizzel wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 11:17 amHow do I "USE SWITCH"?
With all commands that have to do with items, you enter the command without the item name first, and then it asks you which item.
So, it would be:
> use
> switch
or
> u
> sw
Spoiler
Some items you can't take, you just use them, like the switch.
I hope you finish the game :-))
Jbizzel
Dynamite Dan

Post by Jbizzel »

Ah - perfect.

I didn't realise you had to put a carriage return in there in between the two words. Got it now - the switch is on!

Also....

'TAKE > [object name]' is also used as in "Examine [object]"

So an example might be "take > bridge" -> "you examine the bridge, it doesn't look safe"

(non game example as not to spoil game for others)
Vag
Drutt

Post by Vag »

In a way, yes. You try to take an item, but you either don't, or you do and leave it immediately. But the text tells you something about the item.

E.g.
> take
> bread bin
> You take the bread bin, it looks nice, but then you realize it's a C64, so you put it down.

(non game example as not to spoil game for others)
DVDfever
Microbot

Post by DVDfever »

It says "Enter password", at the start. I've no idea what to put, and the download page doesn't mention this.

Edit: You have to literally type: "password".WTF?
DVDfever
Microbot

Post by DVDfever »

I'd like to say this is a full walkthrough, but that would be a mistruth, as I got stuck. And this was the third attempt :D

Vag
Drutt

Post by Vag »

DVDfever wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 2:56 am You have to literally type: "password".WTF?
Imagine when I just started playing and translating the Slovak version! I couldn't
That's why I put this image on the itch.io page:

;-D
DVDfever wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 4:35 am I'd like to say this is a full walkthrough, but that would be a mistruth, as I got stuck. And this was the third attempt :D
A walkthrough video already?! Great!
:-)))
I watched almost all of it. Unfortunately it does that gets you stuck.

I won't spoil it for you, giving you the solution, just some help. Certain items, you can use in two different ways; one is wrong, and if you do that, you just lose the item, so you can't do what you're supposed to do.
E.g. you can use the bowling ball in the bowling alley, as in the video, or somewhere else ;-)
Also, there are items that don't affect the game.
These are the items you can use in two ways:
Spoiler
Bowling ball
Broom
Key
Lighter
Pickaxe
UV light (this one gives you a hint if you use it the right way, but you can still finish the game without it)
Keep in mind that you can lose in four ways (you can die in two ways, you can finish the game without solving the case in two other ways). There is only one way you can solve the case. But it's nice to see everything in the game, you can die hilariously ;-)
Vag
Drutt

Post by Vag »

Vag wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 7:31 am Catmeows offered to help with the compressed screen, and he also helped with other things, as he updated the code and fixed bugs. He was really helpful, I can't help him enough.
I just noticed the typo... I can't edit the post as it's not new anymore, so here it is, properly:

Catmeows offered to help with the compressed screen, and he also helped with other things, as he updated the code and fixed bugs. He was really helpful, I can't thank him enough.
DVDfever
Microbot

Post by DVDfever »

Vag wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 7:21 am Imagine when I just started playing and translating the Slovak version! I couldn't
That's why I put this image on the itch.io page:

;-D
I think it was about my third attempt of figuring it out, and it seemed like British humour as to what the answer would be :D
Vag wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 7:21 am A walkthrough video already?! Great!
I watched almost all of it. Unfortunately it does that gets you stuck.

I won't spoil it for you, giving you the solution, just some help. Certain items, you can use in two different ways; one is wrong, and if you do that, you just lose the item, so you can't do what you're supposed to do.
E.g. you can use the bowling ball in the bowling alley, as in the video, or somewhere else ;-)
Also, there are items that don't affect the game.
These are the items you can use in two ways:
Spoiler
Bowling ball
Broom
Key
Lighter
Pickaxe
UV light (this one gives you a hint if you use it the right way, but you can still finish the game without it)
Keep in mind that you can lose in four ways (you can die in two ways, you can finish the game without solving the case in two other ways). There is only one way you can solve the case. But it's nice to see everything in the game, you can die hilariously ;-)
Thanks for the tips. I can see why text adventures aren't my forte, since I would never have figured out what I read above about...
Spoiler
the hidden switch :D