La Pucelle - new game under development, demo video 1

Show us what you're working on, (preferably with screenshots).
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

La Pucelle - new game under development, demo video 1

Post by Alessandro »

And here it is the first demo video! The game previously announced with the working title of "Calais" is now being presented as La Pucelle!

Please read the article before watching the video, to know what's it all about:

https://itch.io/blog/655419/la-pucelle- ... mo-video-1

Thank you for your attention, and... Buon Natale! Merry Christmas! :santa :snowman :xmas :dance 8-) :D

akeley
Dynamite Dan

Re: La Pucelle - new game under development, demo video 1

Post by akeley »

Ha, I thought it might be more Joan Of Arc than DotC (both my Amiga favourites) when I first saw it ;) Really looking forward to it, we need more games like this on Spectrum.
EdToo
Manic Miner

Post by EdToo »

This looks amazing, you have squeezed a huge amount into this.
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

Looks really interesting, we don't get these kind of games much often on Spectrum

Alessandro, is it a remake of this game?
https://www.mobygames.com/game/1366/joa ... the-sword/
ANDREWRYALS
Microbot

Post by ANDREWRYALS »

Looks a bit like civilisation. :o
Jbizzel
Dynamite Dan

Post by Jbizzel »

Wow, looks epic.
patters
Manic Miner

Post by patters »

Beautiful! :shock:
Alessandro
Dynamite Dan

Post by Alessandro »

Thank you for your comments.

@akeley : Joan Of Arc was a favorite of mine on the Atari ST, I even played it through the end. As far as I know, there are no Spectrum games set in the Hundred Years' War, which is a real pity, considering how interesting that historical setting is.

@EdToo Yes, there is still much to do, but currently, what is shown on the demo amounts to about 160 KB of data, both compressed and uncompressed. The use of the DivIDE/DivMMC interface makes it possible to manage all of it on a 48K Spectrum.

@Ralf Thanks Ralf, I know and it is for that reason that I am specializing in this genre :) La Pucelle is not a direct remake of Joan Of Arc but it takes inspiration from it - you can read more information in the article linked in the first post.

@ANDREWRYALS Well, the idea of improving the provinces is more akin to the Total War series :) as well as assigning a bonus feature to each character with an army leadership ability of "good" and "strong". In the original game, there was very little difference between army commanders, so I thought that this feature could add some more depth and flexibility to gameplay.

@Jbizzel and @patters : Thanks! It is going to be a massive effort, there is a huge amount of code running under the hood, plus several graphic elements which follow Joan's story and shall be placed while work on the game goes on. In the next phase, I plan to code the field battle and siege, both attacking and defending.
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

It's an ambitious project so good luck with it.

An important thing with these kind of games, that people often overlook, is balancing them. So they aren't too easy or too hard. So there isn't any single army unit or trick which beats everything else and makes everything else useless and unnecessary.

I'll tell you people some personal story. I remember that I had that Joan of Arc game on PC back in early 90s. Like everything else in Poland in those times it was a pirate copy. And maybe that's why it didn't work, it crashed at some moment.
So I deleted it from my hard drive but never forgot about it completely. I wanted to play it properly one day but it was one of these things that you promise yourself to do at some moment in the future but this moment never happens.

Now, if Alessandro finishes his version, I'll have extra motivation and finally will play it after all these years :)
gabriele amore
Microbot

Post by gabriele amore »

WOW what a beautiful game!
COMPLIMENTI! :D