2023 Game of The Year : Group Three voting

People are still making stuff for the Sinclair related machines. Tell us about new games and other software that runs on the Spectrum, ZX80/ZX81, Pentagon and Next.

Choose your favourite 5 games from Group Three of Game of The Year 2023

Poll ended at Tue Jan 02, 2024 2:01 pm

Crazy Christmas
6%
Roasty
2%
Return of the Aliens Disguised as Christmas Items
1%
Jesus Vs. The Romans
2%
Jeff and the Christmas Tat
1%
Colourfusion
1%
Bomberrun
1%
Bloktor Woot
1%
TURDLE ZX
1%
FOREST ESCAPE - A KNIGHT'S QUEST
7%
TERROR BY NIGHT
2%
Haunted House
3%
Pac-Hic III - The Great Sewer Escape
4%
The Unforgiveable Innocent
1%
Tuerkas the White Cat
4%
Manic Person
2%
LPrint Runaway
1%
ZX Robots
4%
Area 51 - The Roswell Incident
3%
ZX Bomb Sweeper
5%
EXO-TICAL
9%
Crazy Forest
9%
Batmanolo contra el ataque mutante a Lloricatown
1%
Lil' Ninja
2%
Mickey and Donald G&W
4%
BOMBERBOT
3%
Up7
1%
Tiny Nightmares
3%
Hopman
1%
Lunar Rescue RX
3%
Slide-ZX UPG edition
1%
Javi versus Parrish
1%
La Estrella de la Mañana 2023
2%
Return to Long Shadows
2%
Gioco di Em
1%
Duckstroma 2
3%
Mario Bros. Game & Watch
3%
Pegged
1%
Zedex Tanks
1%
Fitris
1%

Total votes: 166

Mpk
Dynamite Dan

2023 Game of The Year : Group Three voting

Post by Mpk »

Bloktor Woot
Alternating between on-foot platforming with floating TARDIS screens, this is a decent not-quite-Doctor-Who game from the highly productive Sloanysoft.

TURDLE ZX
Wordle? Turdle, more like. HuhHurHur. And that's as far as that joke would have gotten for most of us, but no, here we have a word game with a deeply unpleasant mascot. It's rude Wordle, and skillfully executed too.

First things first - this one's for charity, so as it's Christmas, maybe consider pushing a few quid their way. It's worth it, too, for a colourful jump-'em-up ( my new name for platformers ) with an interesting mushroom-eating powerup system. Sequel to last year's Castle Escape.

TERROR BY NIGHT
But Holmes, you can't expect me to believe that someone's made a game of a movie even older then the Spectrum? It's preposterous!
Perhaps, Watson, but true nonetheless.
A multiple-choice text adventure with screengrabs from the 1946 movie.

Bomberrun
Some nice flourishes in this BASIC bomber game. I especially appreciate the jolly Unabomber-style plot.

Haunted House
An excellently presented text adventure, in a snappy custom engine.

Pac-Hic III - The Great Sewer Escape
A Jolly tune underpins this straight-forward maze game starring a dissolute Pacman with feet.

The Unforgiveable Innocent
A unique design for this Boriel Basic entry - you have to collect the the powers while avoiding the lasers that pop up. Features a bonkers storyline about excaping hell. An interesting package all round.

Tuerkas the White Cat
Pretty slick cat-themed platformer with some unique traversal gimmicks.

Manic Person
Another tough-as-nails JSW mod, this one featuring different music on every screen. I can verify this for the first 2 screens - any more proved beyond my capabilities.

LPrint Runaway
A Game&Watch prison escape game, in full colour.

Jeff and the Christmas Tat
Who would have thought that Jeff Lynn would star in not one but TWO Spectrum Games this year? A fine cap to a distinguished career in the arts.

Colourfusion
Simple colour-picking game, where you have to identify the colour of a rectangle. Sounds easier than it is.

ZX Robots
Sharp-looking isometric game with fun block-pushing robot-smashing action. Back in the Spectrum's heyday, you couldn't move for isometric games, but they're few and far between these days. Refreshing.

They've got an engine, and they're going to use it. Another mutiple-choice text adventure from Furillo, This one on a 50s b-movie/x-files tip.

Jesus Vs. The Romans
Not what it appears on first play, I'll just say that. Technically, a bit of a show-off, and arguably the most Christmassy game in this year's Woot!

ZX Bomb Sweeper
Game and Watch was always a misnomer. Game and Clock, sure. But you could never wear one of those as a watch. Anyway - here's another game and watch conversion. Run through the maze, be careful not to bump the walls, or you'll block yourself. Again, basically perfect, but perhaps a mite too simple.

EXO-TICAL
The first obstacle in this bright and colourful Cybernoidesque shooter is a set of vines that you have to blast through, in what feels like an homage to Airwolf's infamous wall. The vines are trivially easy, but the don't let that put you off guard. The rest of the game is absolutely unforgiving, but there's enough variety to keep you coming back. Top notch.

Crazy Forest
Oddly themed exploratory platformer. This one rewards perseverence and is lovingly put together.

Batmanolo contra el ataque mutante a Lloricatown
Impressive platformer in BASIC, with a transform-into-Batman mechanic. Too hard for me, if I'm honest.

Lil' Ninja
Super fast, tricky single screen actioner, kind of like a hyperactive Bubble Bobble with single character graphics.

Mickey and Donald G&W
Another basically perfect Game and Watch conversion.

BOMBERBOT
Nice single character sprites and a jolly tune set up this cute bomberman-mechanic action game. I'm not sure that the wide open maps suit the mechanic, but it's worth a look.

Return of the Aliens Disguised as Christmas Items
Frantic shooter, that would be best played with a Tempest-style spinner. Sadly, 'frantic' and 'Boriel Basic' are not good companions.

Up7
2-player only card game.

Tiny Nightmares
Creepy arcade adventiure with nicely atmospheric heart-rate health system, some tense hiding bits and a slightly odd inventory/object system.

Hopman
Plain but precise scrolling platformer.

Roasty
A festive potato self-immolation simulator featuring a clever control gimmick. The right kind of frustrating.

Lunar Rescue RX
Lunar Rescue is a moderately obscure arcade game from 1979. That's, like, before the 80s. Wow. This is a spot-on conversion of that.

Slide-ZX UPG edition
A slidey-puzzle game/toy featuring classic Ultimate loading screens.

Javi versus Parrish
Another mutiple-choice adventure from the Furillo fellas - this one a light-hearted modern-day farce.

Crazy Christmas
A straight-forward, no-frills platformer. Has Santa in it, so automatically good. Ho-ho-ho! Merry Christmas!

La Estrella de la Mañana 2023
A text adventure with lovely black and white graphics. In Spanish though, so I can't say whether it's any good.

Return to Long Shadows
Cor, a proper roguelike. A long-awaited sequel to 1986's Forest of Long Shadows. If you like this kind of thing, this is very much the kind of thing you like.

Gioco di Em
Started by an 8-year old, finshed by a 44 year-old. The Speccy spirit, ladies and gents. ( It's a nippy Snake, with awkward 4-5-6-7 controls for added challenge )

Duckstroma 2
A novel and complete arcade adventure with your duck's jumping enhanced by the deployment of exploding eggs.

Mario Bros. Game & Watch
Kind of perfect - looks great and emulates the original as exactly as you could want. It just inherits the limitations of the original, so it's not very long-lived.

Pegged
It's solitaire, the one with all the pegs and you have to finish with one in the middle. I learned how to do that on a real board last summer, so for a couple of weeks I was a Solitaire Champ. I've forgotten now. Pegged has a selection of puzzles using the mechanic, and it works well. Interface is very nice.

Zedex Tanks
Fun Tank game, with 2-player mode. No frills, a modicum of thrills. Spectacular loading screen.

Fitris
Tetris is one of the best games of all time. This is a version of that. It has THE MUSIC and the little dancing guy in the corner, but only has one rotate button, which might be an issue for high-level players. If I ever meet one, I'll ask them.
Mpk
Dynamite Dan

Re: 2023 Game of The Year : Group Three voting

Post by Mpk »

Group 3 voting now live.

Note that the Woot! games aren't on the DB yet, and get the same link to the Woot! zipfile, and the same image.
There will be more Woot entries in Group 4.

The Unforgiveable Innocent is also not in the DB yet, and I've hotlinked to Bytemaniacos. The image looks broken - ii's supposed to look like this :

Sorry about that
Mpk
Dynamite Dan

Post by Mpk »

As for my picks :

The mushroom powerups add a layer of challenge to the standard platforming, and it's cleverly put together. Looks great too.
I enjoyed the writing and storytelling here the most of Furillo's games this year. Illustrations are very nice as well, and a few musical stings add flair.
EXO-TICAL
Feels like a top quality production in all areas, and I like how you have to be methodical, but execute at high speed. Difficult, but not so hard as to put me off. Well balanced.
Lil' Ninja
Just a high-octane hoot. Feels real good when you get in the swing of it.
Return to Long Shadows
Not for everyone, clearly, but very good at what it does. A game for long wet Sunday afternoons.
hikoki
Manic Miner

Post by hikoki »

Thanks for the poll and Merry Christmas.
Where is Cursed Castle? I wanted to vote for it as well
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

1 - Exotical
2 - Tiny Nightmares
3 - Duckstroma 2
4 - Bloktor Woot
5 - Manic Person

Tiny Nightmares nearly wins on originality, but Exotical edges it over playability and completability. I scored Manic Person down because I got halfway and ended up a bit scared & stressed by knowing how hard the next level was going to be (though if you told me to sort myself out and git-gud I wouldn't say you were wrong).
Mpk
Dynamite Dan

Post by Mpk »

hikoki wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 4:58 pm Thanks for the poll and Merry Christmas.
You're very welcome. Hope you had a good Christmas.
hikoki wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 4:58 pm Where is Cursed Castle? I wanted to vote for it as well
This will be in Group 4, next week.
sn3j
Manic Miner

Post by sn3j »

Some of the image links don't work for me: Bloktor Woot, Bomberrun, Unforgiveable Innocent, Jesus vs Romans, Aliens Disguised, Crazy Christmas, Roasty, Gioco etc.
Which makes voting a bit unbalanced. Could someone fix this?
POKE 23614,10: STOP      1..0 hold, SS/m/n colors, b/spc toggle
Mpk
Dynamite Dan

Post by Mpk »

sn3j wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 3:00 am Some of the image links don't work for me: Bloktor Woot, Bomberrun, Unforgiveable Innocent, Jesus vs Romans, Aliens Disguised, Crazy Christmas, Roasty, Gioco etc.
Which makes voting a bit unbalanced. Could someone fix this?
As mentioned, those are all games ( mostly from the Woot! compilation ) which aren't on the DB and I couldn't find any shots to link to elsewhere.

Gioco doesn't have a loading screen, so only has one image.
Mpk
Dynamite Dan

Post by Mpk »

Only 2 votes for Lil' Ninja? You monsters!

Anyway, 2 days left, and it's anyone's race. Just bumping this as a reminder to vote if you haven't already.
Daveysloan
Manic Miner

Post by Daveysloan »

Mpk wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 6:11 pm Only 2 votes for Lil' Ninja? You monsters!
Indeed! One of those is mine, I love that game. In fact I was just playing it this very afternoon on stream.
jetsetdanny
Dizzy

Post by jetsetdanny »

Thanks for doing this! :)

I'll post here even though it doesn't concern Group Three voting as such.

As someone who is particularly interested in and focusing on Manic Miner and Jet Set Willy games, I would like to make sure all the eligible games of this kind are included in the voting.

At least five games that can beyond any doubt be considered as gamma-released in 2023 for the first time have been released this year. I have seen two of them - Carl Patterson's "WiLLY iN ThE MiRRoRVeRSE" and Sendy (Alex Cornhill)'s "Manic_Person" - included in the previous rounds of voting. I am not sure that the other three have been included (please forgive me if I've missed something). These are:

"Jet Set Willy: Role Reversal" by Sendy (Alex Cornhill)

"Leon Willy" by Pedro Magallares Ocaña

"JeT SeT JnR aNd ThE CuRsE oF ThE PhArAoH" by Carl Patterson (I am not sure if it has been added to ZXDB yet).

Please note that there was something in the rules about mods being excluded, but these fine games are NOT "just mods" of the original "Manic Miner" and "Jet Set Willy" - they are brand new games, which do use the original game engines, but have pretty much everything designed from scratch (rooms, sprites, music, etc.) and feature various modifications applied to the game engines and some additional custom code. I believe calling them "mods" does not do them justice. If games were to be disqualified from the voting only because they use a certain game engine that has been used before, I would say that all games created using the AGD or other similar tools should be disqualified, too (I am NOT suggesting it, I am just defending the position that the MM and JSW games I've mentioned should also be qualified ;) ).

Another game released in 2023 is "Manic Miner 40th Anniversary Tribute" ("MM40th"), released by Bob The Polar Bear in August. It could be debated whether it should be considered an entirely new game or a continuation of his project whose earlier 'incarnations' are "Manic-4-Noobs" ("M4N") and "MANIC-minor" ("M-m").

There have been some other MM/JSW-related game files released in 2023, but they may not qualify, as they are either updates of new games originally released in previous years or indeed mods/versions of the two original games. Please see my summary if you're interested :) .
Mpk
Dynamite Dan

Post by Mpk »

Hi. Thanks for posting.

Jet Set Willy: Role Reversal was in Group 2 - viewtopic.php?t=10674&start=10

Leon Willy and JeT SeT JnR aNd ThE CuRsE oF ThE PhArAoH are both scheduled for Group 4, starting Tuesday.

Manic Miner 40th Anniversary Tribute seems more like a mod of the previous 2 games, so I'm leaning towards leaving it out.

On the other hand, it's Christmas, so maybe I'll stick it in group 4. It's pretty cool, and as started in the announcement thread ( viewtopic.php?t=10626 ), the poll is as much about getting visibility for the games as it is about finding a winner.
Oloturia
Manic Miner

Post by Oloturia »

Omg I can't believe that my game got 1 vote!
(and I didn't vote for myself, I swear!)
Mpk
Dynamite Dan

Post by Mpk »

And we have a tie!

We can't separate Exo-tical and Crazy Forest at the top with 15 votes each.
Forest Escape trots home in 3rd with 11 votes.
Crazy Christmas flies the Woot! flag high in 4th with 10 votes.
ZX Bomb Sweeper takes the last final slot with 9.

Lil' Ninja was robbed

The final vote for Group 4 is open here :
viewtopic.php?t=10782
jetsetdanny
Dizzy

Post by jetsetdanny »

Mpk wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 7:35 pm Hi. Thanks for posting.

Jet Set Willy: Role Reversal was in Group 2 - viewtopic.php?t=10674&start=10

Leon Willy and JeT SeT JnR aNd ThE CuRsE oF ThE PhArAoH are both scheduled for Group 4, starting Tuesday.

Manic Miner 40th Anniversary Tribute seems more like a mod of the previous 2 games, so I'm leaning towards leaving it out.

On the other hand, it's Christmas, so maybe I'll stick it in group 4. It's pretty cool, and as started in the announcement thread ( viewtopic.php?t=10626 ), the poll is as much about getting visibility for the games as it is about finding a winner.
Hi, thank you so much for your explanation! This all sounds great :) . Also, I would happily agree that getting visibility for the games is as (or more ;) ) important as/than finding a winner.
Martin Page
Drutt

Post by Martin Page »

Good to see that I got four votes for my game, Return to Long Shadows. Thanks to those that voted for the game.

Cheers, Martin.
Andre Leao
Bugaboo

Post by Andre Leao »

I voted on your game. :xmas
Martin Page
Drutt

Post by Martin Page »

Thanks André, much appreciated.
Andre Leao wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 6:15 pm I voted on your game. :xmas
Mpk
Dynamite Dan

Post by Mpk »

Unfortunately, we've had to adjust the results after some voting shenanigans came to light. See commentary on viewtopic.php?t=10782

Top 5 for group 3 are adjusted to :
EXO-TICAL
Tuerkas the White Cat
ZX Robots