Arson About - platforming puzzler

Show us what you're working on, (preferably with screenshots).
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Arson About - platforming puzzler

Post by PeteProdge »

Nowhere near finished and barely even started. Arson About is a game where you play a fire starting singer who must collect objects and not be trapped. Yeah, that makes it sound very exciting, I know. Alright, the game concept is entirely in my head, has been for decades and was actually rendered in BASIC in the early 90s about three or four times as different games (including an Amstrad CPC effort). I know what it is, but can't really/won't really describe it fully. I keep changing my mind about various bits of it. It's a bit like Ralph On Alpha 2 but loads better. Honest.

Anyway, I've got two main sprite animations done, in Photoshop.

Walk cycle left

Jump/climb

In whatever time I get over this Merryneum (and I've still got a three-month-old Reheated Pixels video to edit), I'll try and get more sprite action animations done. Obviously, the sprite gets to spark a fire and I've got to think about falling, injury, unlocking doors, those kind of things.

The new year's resolution for 2022 was to get this game made. Then I carried it over to 2023. And here I am still without it existing, except for these graphics. Ah well. Maybe end of 2024.

Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
Mpk
Dynamite Dan

Re: Arson About - platforming puzzler

Post by Mpk »

Early contender for GOTY 2024
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

Mpk wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 1:29 pm Early contender for GOTY 2024
More likely to be GOTY 2067.
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
Daveysloan
Manic Miner

Post by Daveysloan »

This reminds me of the time I got in trouble in primary school.

I was ALWAYS the good kid, but when the teacher asked "what were the causes of the Great Fire of London" my hand shot up & I couldn't resist the urge to say "it was because there was too much arson about" got a total bollocking for it...but I also got a huge laugh & regret nothing.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Nice graphics and concept Prodge. Also if there aren't many sprites on the screen, it'll be fairly easy to have it moving behind platforms like that. You're in the right place if you need any dev help!

Now then, I wonder what the music will be...
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

R-Tape wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 2:52 pm Nice graphics and concept Prodge. Also if there aren't many sprites on the screen, it'll be fairly easy to have it moving behind platforms like that. You're in the right place if you need any dev help!
Well, yeah, I'm aiming for there to be no other moving sprites other than the player sprite, but that could change. I'm trying to keep it rooted as a puzzle, and not too keen on roving baddies. However, a few could give it some excitement in some areas.
R-Tape wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 2:52 pm Now then, I wonder what the music will be...
Well, here's the thing. Although I've composed original AY music in SoundTracker and had it working in prior versions of this game, I feel this game needs... well... a certain inspiration. I'm going to have to look into how to deconstruct a MIDI file into SoundTracker notes.
Wall_Axe
Manic Miner

Post by Wall_Axe »

Daveysloan wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 2:17 pm This reminds me of the time I got in trouble in primary school.

I was ALWAYS the good kid, but when the teacher asked "what were the causes of the Great Fire of London" my hand shot up & I couldn't resist the urge to say "it was because there was too much arson about" got a total bollocking for it...but I also got a huge laugh & regret nothing.
When you're the good kid you get destroyed for doing just one bad thing