Tipshop Updated

Y'know, other stuff, Sinclair related.
spider
Dynamite Dan

Tipshop Updated

Post by spider »

https://www.the-tipshop.co.uk/
Wednesday 27 December 2023
Merry Xmas, SpecChums. Blimey.. The last update was well over a year ago - that's... depressing

* Why the delay? Simple - I've had almost no new material sent in since the last update.
It's only relatively recently that I was sent a decent amount of new tips.
This update of 15 months is about the same size as a month's update used to be.
This is fairly disheartening, seeing as it seems there are new games being brought out all the time.
Is nobody doing tips/cheats/maps/POKEs these days? Or is Tipshop no longer useful nowadays?
Come on, folks - get them sent in.. Or email with a note of where I can find them.
That bit of self-pitying moaning over... Thank you - as ever - to the people who did send
in new tips... These fine people are....

* Alberto Garcia sent in an update to an existing bug report he sent in for Cozumel - this time, how to fix it!

* Andy Ryals sent in POKEs for Pac Hic.

* Ben Geeves put together a load of tips for Micronaut One. Thanks to Einar Saukas for sending them onto me.

* Eq sent in a map and solution for Adventure in Bristol. The solution was provided by Garry Lancaster.
He also sent in a corrected version of his map for Karniferous Forest, The.

* Hiker sent in maps for Bog of Brit and Boggit, The.

* Jose Roberto sent in a POKE for Cobra.

* JPNZ provided a cheat for S.D.I..

* Kevin McGrorty kindly sent in images of his fanzine "Tipster" from back in the day.
I used maps for Barbarian II: The Dungeon of Drax, Battle Command and Super Robin Hood.
The pictures provided were sent via Facebook Messenger, so have been scaled down from the original.
Hopefully Kev will provide full sized scans at a later date.

* Lampros Potamianos sent in POKEs for Android Two.

* Martin Moller Skarbiniks Pedersen sent in a hack and POKEs for Project Vaelius;
POKEs for Bomber Pengo, H.E.R.O. Returns, and Yoyo's Revenge and POKEs/tips for Colonos III.

* Pgyuri sent in POKEs for Flying Shark.

* Phil Ruston provided a cheat for Freddie Laker's Airline Capers.
I found a note of it on an old WoS forum post.

* Rui F Ribeiro provided a hack for Jumping Jack to allow the use of Kempston instead of keys.
This was sent on WoS Facebook. I've copied the assembly modifications that he posted.
So it's not a type-in hack, as such - but hopefully it's of use.

* Slider provided corrections for existing POKEs for Gunrunner and Turbo The Tortoise.
They also sent in new POKEs for Binary Land, Bruxolico, Devwill Too, Duckstroma,
Goblin, The, Hakkenkast, Korova Milk Bar, Ms. Nam-Pac, Ovocnici,
Paleto Jones, Bartolo's Flute, Paleto Jones, the Grave of Uncle Ramon,
Popas Si Sania Lui Mos-Craciun, Popas Si Savantul X,
Ramiro, El Vampiro en el Bosque del Suspiro, Savage Princess,
Shovel Adventure, Summer Santa 2022 Update, Virgil's Purgatory,
Waldo's Life, Yokai Monk, Zamolxe Patria Insectelor and Zombi Mall

* Smogit - from the same forum post as above - provided POKEs for Freddie Laker's Airline Capers.

* And that's it. Hope you all enjoy.. Now get sending new stuff in

DATABASE SIZE: 21939 ENTRIES FOR 6064 GAMES
Posted with Gerard's permission.
lexi
Dizzy

Re: Tipshop Updated

Post by lexi »

Yay for the Tipshop!

I have a question regarding mods/remixes - i see there are bugfixes and pokes for remixes, but do you also want mods/remixes which are pokes? It's kinda funny assembling z80 machine code into dozens of lines of pokes, though at the same time it seems the most elegant way to distribute them currently - e.g. for ChaosCE i'm combining optional new features with bug-fixes:
  • Turmoil Spell bug-fix (i thought i had seen reference to an existing poke for this already, but am re-doing since i can't find it)
  • Slightly expanded play area
  • Pre-defined playable and AI characters with new graphics/traits
  • Other folks' base-game pokes i hoarded from elsewhere and just emailed to Gerard
Also, and predictably subsequently, when working with .pok files, i keep getting frustrated with the lack of features, e.g. copy/fill blocks of memory, indexed offsets, defined working value ranges, conditional logic. Although an improved .poky file format/script with more user-configurable options seems an improbable hurdle for majority emulator adoption, and would require at least some basic code to convert it back to run on .pok supporting hardware, it's something i've been pondering as it could lower the barrier of entry for anyone who wants to peek and poke at things, and catalyse more activity. (but may have already been debated to death elsewhere)

Apologies if i'm straying out of scope - the YS Tipshop pokes were my introduction to the concept of modding games, and i've yet to find a source listing all the mods for existing Spectrum games.
spider
Dynamite Dan

Re: Tipshop Updated

Post by spider »

lexi wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 4:42 pm Yay for the Tipshop!

I have a question regarding mods/remixes - i see there are bugfixes and pokes for remixes, but do you also want mods/remixes which are pokes? It's kinda funny assembling z80 machine code into dozens of lines of pokes, though at the same time it seems the most elegant way to distribute them currently - e.g. for ChaosCE i'm combining optional new features with bug-fixes:
  • Turmoil Spell bug-fix (i thought i had seen reference to an existing poke for this already, but am re-doing since i can't find it)
  • Slightly expanded play area
  • Pre-defined playable and AI characters with new graphics/traits
  • Other folks' base-game pokes i hoarded from elsewhere and just emailed to Gerard
Also, and predictably subsequently, when working with .pok files, i keep getting frustrated with the lack of features, e.g. copy/fill blocks of memory, indexed offsets, defined working value ranges, conditional logic. Although an improved .poky file format/script with more user-configurable options seems an improbable hurdle for majority emulator adoption, and would require at least some basic code to convert it back to run on .pok supporting hardware, it's something i've been pondering as it could lower the barrier of entry for anyone who wants to peek and poke at things, and catalyse more activity. (but may have already been debated to death elsewhere)

Apologies if i'm straying out of scope - the YS Tipshop pokes were my introduction to the concept of modding games, and i've yet to find a source listing all the mods for existing Spectrum games.
Not sure what the Turmoil fix is ? :)

Might be better to ask Gerard himself to see maybe what the requirements are. But your "work" sounds interesting Lexi.