TileMap v1.0

Struggling with Fuse or trying to find an emulator with a specific feature. Ask your questions here.
ZXDunny
Manic Miner

Re: TileMap v1.0

Post by ZXDunny » Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:33 pm

Just gonna add a vote for Auf Monty...
0 x

Pobulous
Berk

Post by Pobulous » Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:21 pm

I wonder how far it can be pushed.
How about:
Nonterraqueous
Tantalus
Explorer
0 x

Morkin
Manic Miner

Post by Morkin » Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:14 pm

Quite an intriguing idea. Nice for those of us who struggle to get off the first screen in Technician Ted.. :roll:
Pobulous wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:21 pm
Explorer
:lol:
0 x

obo
Berk

Post by obo » Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:35 pm

Auf Wiedersehen Monty does seem well suited. Though I don't have an AY emulation at the moment, so no music :(

Tantalus shouldn't be a problem size-wise, though I'm not familiar with the gameplay, which useful to know it's working properly. I remember Nonterraqueous 1 from back in the day, which was big but pretty sparse.

I'm hoping tempt someone else to have a go at porting, once I've got a description of how to do it. Soon...
0 x

druellan
Manic Miner

Post by druellan » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:35 pm

Something interesting might be Robin of the Wood, since it is a game based almost purely on random positions on the map.
I'm not sure if the positions are resolved before the player enters a room, but if that is the case, could be interesting to watch realtime 8-)
0 x
Un buen día me puse a probar juegos de ZX Spectrum a ciegas en Youtube, terminó siendo:
📺 Retroarqueología en Youtube

obo
Berk

Post by obo » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:36 pm

All cases I've seen so far generate the item locations when the game starts, and that seems the best place to do when there are limits to the number of certain items types that can appear. That's certainly true for Dynamite Dan, Dynamite Dan II, Starquake, and Sabre Wulf. Dynamite Dan II does that for objects on all 8 islands at the start of the game, so you can look ahead to see where the record will be!

TileMap waits until the game state has initialised before cloning across all rooms, so they're given the same starting state. That ensures the same items are in each room when the player finally enters them.
0 x

djnzx48
Manic Miner

Post by djnzx48 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:20 am

Can this work for games where enemies and objects move between the rooms? I've got a game in mind that I'd be interested in porting with this if it's possible.
0 x

obo
Berk

Post by obo » Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:55 am

djnzx48 wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:20 am
Can this work for games where enemies and objects move between the rooms? I've got a game in mind that I'd be interested in porting with this if it's possible.
Yes, though it will require some knowledge of the data involved in the object's state, and maybe the code that manages it.

In Sabre Wulf the Wulf is effectively a global object that moves between rooms, as it runs back and forth at the bottom of the map. In TileMap the active room containing Sabreman owns the Wulf state data, and takes snapshots after it is updated. That data snapshot is global to the game, and before each room runs the Wulf code it takes a fresh copy to synchronise it. It gives the overall effect that there is only one and it's moving between rooms.

It might still depend on the game you have in mind, but I believe it should be possible. There's some flexibility to change the approach if that doesn't quite fit.
0 x

djnzx48
Manic Miner

Post by djnzx48 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:07 am

Thanks, I've got a build working now and found the room address, so I'll see if I can make any progress on this.
0 x

obo
Berk

Post by obo » Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:49 am

If you're at the stage of building TileMap itself, make sure you've pulled the latest code. I simplified the code hooking yesterday, so existing hook handlers will need adjusting. There are still some build issues with the Z library it uses as a sub-module, which doesn't yet play nice with recent Visual Studio versions. It just means ignoring some link warnings until it gets fixed.

Shout if you need any more details.
0 x