Pacman

People are still making stuff for the Sinclair related machines. Tell us about new games and other software that runs on the Spectrum, ZX80/ZX81, Pentagon and Next.
Andre Leao
Bugaboo

Pacman

Post by Andre Leao »

Released

Sorry, no pics, not at home

https://planetasinclair.blogspot.com/20 ... p.html?m=0

PROCESSED
DH 31/12/23
DVDfever
Microbot

Re: Pacman

Post by DVDfever »

A great, fun version :)

Grongy
Manic Miner

Post by Grongy »

Looks pretty cool, and reminds me of another pac-man clone :P It wasn't Portuguese though, so no rave reviews for it ;)
lexi
Dizzy

Post by lexi »

I can't get over how polished and responsive that looks - beautiful work! Like, even the occasional colour clash with ghosts works to advantage, giving an additional sense of urgency and danger. Every Pacman variant i played on the Spectrum growing up just left me unsatisfied and wondering what all the fuss about Pacman was, and why it was revered enough to inspire so many joyless clones - this would have have helped me understand why.
cmal
Manic Miner

Post by cmal »

Excellent conversion Marco! Great job and thanks for giving this to the community :D
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Absolutely fantastic. I love the attention to detail in keeping faithful to the arcade Pacman - and it has the cutscenes!

I especially like the forgiving collision detection. So often in other Pacman games it's strict and you get clipped unfairly (in my biased player's opinion).

There's a small bug though - occasionally a pellet is not deleted on collection and you can move over it and it remains.
Grongy wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 5:49 am Looks pretty cool, and reminds me of another pac-man clone :P It wasn't Portuguese though, so no rave reviews for it ;)
I think Marco's and your Spekku-Man must be the best Pacman games on the Speccy.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Not that I'd ever see it, but I wish he reproduced the kill screen bug where level 255 clocks over :mrgreen:
cmal
Manic Miner

Post by cmal »

R-Tape wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 10:28 am I think Marco's and your Spekku-Man must be the best Pacman games on the Speccy.
Wow, another great Pac-man remake! Thanks for pointing it out @R-Tape. This one slipped past my radar and I have to agree with you that these two are the best Pac-man games on the Speccy.
However I did encounter a crash (usr 0 type crash) with Spekku-man after playing for a short while on Kempston Joystick on SpecEmu, 48k mode. It crashed on the first level. A second attempt also crashed on level 1 and gave the "6 Number too big, 1:5" error. I tried recreating the crash using keyboard and it crashed right at the start of level 2.
gabriele amore
Microbot

Post by gabriele amore »

FINALLY!!!
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Level 5 and Hi-Score 15390 so far. This could have some 'git-gud' replay value over the year.
StanVanman
Manic Miner

Post by StanVanman »

R-Tape wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 8:10 pm Level 5 and Hi-Score 15390 so far. This could have some 'git-gud' replay value over the year.
15,390 on level FIVE? Is it even possible to score that low? :o
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

StanVanman wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 10:16 pm 15,390 on level FIVE?
It might have been 4, but I think 5. I never mastered the game so I've a lot of learning to do.
Is it even possible to score that low? :o
Only one way to find out - let's be 'aving you!
StanVanman
Manic Miner

Post by StanVanman »

R-Tape wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 10:36 pm Only one way to find out - let's be 'aving you!
Here's 16,000 a quarter of the way through level 2 :lol:

berarma
Microbot

Post by berarma »

R-Tape wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 10:44 am Not that I'd ever see it, but I wish he reproduced the kill screen bug where level 255 clocks over :mrgreen:
That's not a bug, it's a feature. I'm surprised nobody has corrected you yet. :D

I've also found that bug where some pellet doesn't disappear. I've created a snapshot but I don't know how to contact the developer in case he needs it. It isn't too hard to reproduce though. I think it happens when changing direction over a pellet. It counts as eaten but it isn't removed.

I've noticed the collision with the ghosts is pretty forgiving when I'm following the ghost. I don't if that's intentional. I can be almost completely overlapping the ghost and it doesn't kill me.

I like the way the beeper is used. It's great in all aspects.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

berarma wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 11:57 pm I've also found that bug where some pellet doesn't disappear.
I've already told the dev. Sending you a PM
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

StanVanman wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 11:32 pm Here's 16,000 a quarter of the way through level 2 :lol:
So that must mean getting all 4 ghosts on every power pill, and collecting the bonuses. That's impressive - are you using tactics that you see in vids like these? You should have a proper attempt (where you don't stop) to give us all something to aim at.
StanVanman
Manic Miner

Post by StanVanman »

R-Tape wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 11:07 am So that must mean getting all 4 ghosts on every power pill, and collecting the bonuses. That's impressive - are you using tactics that you see in vids like these? You should have a proper attempt (where you don't stop) to give us all something to aim at.
No, I don't have any patterns memorised or anything, but it's not too tough to get 16 ghosts on level 1 just scooting around normally. It gets much harder after that :D
DVDfever
Microbot

Post by DVDfever »

I see there's a v.1.1 of this. Not sure what the difference is off-hand, but it's still fun :)

berarma
Microbot

Post by berarma »

DVDfever wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:09 pm I see there's a v.1.1 of this. Not sure what the difference is off-hand, but it's still fun :)
Here's a changelog: https://marco-leal-zx.itch.io/zx-pacman ... -available

I guess the persistent dot bug will be fixed. Sometimes a dot will be eaten but still be visible.
rothers
Drutt

Post by rothers »

This is absolutely excellent, the way you've laid out the screen is perfect.

There are so many good arcade conversions now, I love to see them.