Treasure Island (Mr. Micro) credits might be wrong

This is the place to request ZXDB corrections (add missing data or fix incorrect information)

Moderators: druellan, pavero

druellan
Dynamite Dan

Treasure Island (Mr. Micro) credits might be wrong

Post by druellan »

Treasure Island by Mr. Micro - https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/entry/5 ... ure_Island has the following credits:

Jim Greg (UK)
Issi (UK)

Those are most certainly extracted from the loading screen:

But I don't think Jim Greg is a real person, I think both "Jim" and "Greg" are other developers at Mr. Micro.

Greg must be Greg Duddle, he worked on several conversions by Mr Micro
Jim might be James McDermott, he is active in the C64 conversions by Mr. Micro, but we learned recently he might be involved in Spectrum titles like Karnov.

EDIT: partial fix for now, we know that Jim Greg is Jim Gregory, the founder.
Stefan
Manic Miner

Re: Treasure Island (Mr. Micro) credits might be wrong

Post by Stefan »

How about Jim Gregory (the founder) using nickname ISSI. The letters are stylized like rock band KISS and in the interview https://archive.org/stream/home-computi ... 7/mode/1up with him in Home Computing Weekly (linked on Mr Micro page) he started with electronics for a kiss simulator (completely unrelated to the band, but heh).
✓ Reviewed
druellan
Dynamite Dan

Post by druellan »

In Mobygames we have the following credits:

Game Design by Greg Duddle (as Greg)
Coding by Greg Duddle (as Greg)
Loading Screen by Issi

I do think Gred Duddle is ok, but I don't think Issi did the loading screen alone, we can see the signature inside the game under "design & code".
druellan
Dynamite Dan

Post by druellan »

Stefan wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 4:11 pm How about Jim Gregory (the founder) using nickname ISSI. The letters are stylized like rock band KISS and in the interview https://archive.org/stream/home-computi ... 7/mode/1up with him in Home Computing Weekly (linked on Mr Micro page) he started with electronics for a kiss simulator (completely unrelated to the band, but heh).
Oh, that might be it! I was wondering who ISSI could be inside Mr. Micro.
There is a lot of confusion regarding Mr. Micro credits, I saw John Boy, that I think might be actually John May, credited as John "ISSI" Boy.
Stefan
Manic Miner

Post by Stefan »

There’s a Jim Sheehan owning up for creating and coding the Vic 20 version https://www.mocagh.org/loadpage.php?get ... iousisland
druellan
Dynamite Dan

Post by druellan »

I bet you're right about Jim Gregory being ISSI, I want to learn more, but all the first games by Mr. Micro, and one of them mentioned in the article, are signed by ISSI.
Stefan
Manic Miner

Post by Stefan »

ISSI is ISSI… see foreword in https://www.andreaszapf.de/media/CPC/Se ... CPC464.pdf
Since you have read this far I hope that we can count on your support for game playing! Remember to speak out in favour of fun whenever you can. If people say that game playing is a waste of time, then remind them that watching TV, reading a novel, or even going for a walk, could be described the same way. We all have a need to relax. Let each do it in his own way. For me the fun is in designing and developing games that others can enjoy playing. 1 hope that you will enjoy this collection.

In producing this book I have been particularly keen to ensure that a wide range of games are included. Equal importance has been placed upon the graphics and presentation to ensure that each one is well worth the typing effort.

The production of this book has been a team effort requiring a great deal of dedication and application by all concerned. I am pleased to record my thanks to programmers 'ISSI’, whose skill is well represented, and to ‘Andy’ who also has fine examples of his work included. The other key members of the team were Janet and my wife Val who typed, and re-typed, until the task was complete.

Finally I record my thanks to Ann Berne and Richard Miles of Collins Professional and Technical Books for commissioning the book and guiding it through the convoluted channels of publishing to reach your hands.

Jim Gregory
Although I still have a suspicion that Jim Gregory may be moonlighting as ISSI.

But then doing quite a good job of it since in the listing some entries are credited to ISSI and others to ISSI/Jim.
Stefan
Manic Miner

Post by Stefan »

oh... but the cpc folks have already figured ISSI out as being John Boy.
druellan
Dynamite Dan

Post by druellan »

I have a strong suspicion that everybody was playing with names inside Mr. Micro. Credits always look incomplete. I already mentioned John Boy, that sometimes is replaced by John May, even when the ingame credits specifically say "John Boy", and sometimes is credited as John "ISSI" Boy in database sites.

https://cpcrulez.fr/GamesSF_not/auteur-john_boy.htm

So without trusting that source, we have another contender to be ISSI.

It is all @Gears of Games fault :snowman He posted Karnov's credits and uncovered the can of worms Mr. Micro credits are!
druellan
Dynamite Dan

Post by druellan »

Stefan wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 5:01 pm oh... but the cpc folks have already figured ISSI out as being John Boy.
Oh, we posted the same thing at the same time. Yep, but I want another source, if we can find it.
Stefan
Manic Miner

Post by Stefan »

druellan wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 5:08 pm Oh, we posted the same thing at the same time. Yep, but I want another source, if we can find it.
I completely agree, the cpc entry has no source reference that I can find, not being able to search their forums does not help.
firelord
Manic Miner

Post by firelord »

I know that this is not related to the topic of this thread but is related with Treasure Island. (I didn;t want to start another topic for the same game)

Which game was the same as Treasure island but releashed with another name and company ? Same graphics and gameplay.
I saw it somewhere but I can't find it again.

(edit)
I think it was https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/entry/5 ... ow_Pattern ...unless there is a third game.
Lee Bee
Dynamite Dan

Post by Lee Bee »

I love how much everyone cares about these details being correct! :D Wonderful.
druellan
Dynamite Dan

Post by druellan »

firelord wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:43 am Which game was the same as Treasure island but releashed with another name and company ? Same graphics and gameplay.
I saw it somewhere but I can't find it again.

(edit)
I think it was https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/entry/5 ... ow_Pattern ...unless there is a third game.
Yes, Willow Pattern is also the one I remember, same game but with different graphics and some variations in the map and minigames.
firelord
Manic Miner

Post by firelord »

Is there a story why the same company released an almost identical game with a new name?
druellan
Dynamite Dan

Post by druellan »

firelord wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:39 pm Is there a story why the same company released an almost identical game with a new name?
I was intrigued as well, but there is only one interview with the company available, and was before both Willow Pattern and Treasure Island. Based on the dates, Treasure Island was first, and seems that then they got the opportunity to release the game with Firebird, so they changed a bunch of things.
Stefan wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 4:41 pm Although I still have a suspicion that Jim Gregory may be moonlighting as ISSI.
Just to throw more information to discard this theory, seems that Mr. Micro got some issues with Century regarding the game Hunchy, and this is the company statement:
Jim Gregory, managing director of Mr Micro has agreed to withdraw the title but vigorously denies that his game is an infringement of Century's copyright. “There is no question of passing-off Our programmer Issi has seen the Century arcade game, but we have changed the graphics,
So, the best lead we have right now is John "ISSI" Boy on the Amstrad database.