The Domdaniel!

Whether it's Mire Mare or a BASIC tape you found in the attic, it needs to be preserved digitally. Post here and experts can help to do so.

Moderator: pavero

jlsoler
Drutt

The Domdaniel!

Post by jlsoler »

Is there anybody here who could recognise this game? José Manuel Claros, from the Spanish preservation group around SPA2 has found it and, being a z80 file, not much can be seen from it. We don't know if this is a well known game or if it is already preserved.

To download it: DOMDANIE.Z80

Image Image

Thanks in advance!
equinox
Dynamite Dan

Re: The Domdaniel!

Post by equinox »

jlsoler wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 8:16 pm Is there anybody here who could recognise this game? José Manuel Claros, from the Spanish preservation group around SPA2 has found it and, being a z80 file, not much can be seen from it. We don't know if this is a well known game or if it is already preserved.
I was able to decompile it with UNPAWS32:
https://privatebin.io/?f904cef9f2777257 ... o89xoN3Pdk

It looks quite well written and has a generic fantasy setting. (Wikipedia tells us that Domdaniel is "a fictional cavernous hall at the bottom of the ocean where evil magicians, spirits, and gnomes meet".)

I can't seem to find anything on the Web. Searching for the game's magic word
Spoiler
ABARA KAZAPP
locates nothing.
8BitAG
Dynamite Dan

Post by 8BitAG »

It's not an already known game.

It was produced with the earlier version of the Quill by the looks of things. Feels like unpolished homebrew... I think the author probably ran out of space as a huge chunk of memory is take up by those location descriptions.
8-bit Text Adventure Gamer - games - research.
C.Born
Manic Miner

Post by C.Born »

fuse mentions it needs IF1.2 rom for this snap.
was the original on MDR ?
is the font equal to the startrek type-in ??
edit, NO, its not
equinox
Dynamite Dan

Post by equinox »

C.Born wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 1:20 pm is the font equal to the startrek type-in ??
edit, NO, its not
I've seen that vertically-challenged "sci-fi" font in a million Speccy adventures. It was bundled with the Quill, presumably. I think you also got the cod-Irish one used on O'Neill's pubs.
8BitAG
Dynamite Dan

Post by 8BitAG »

It wasn't bundled with the Quill, but there was a Characters pack from Gilsoft which had a lot of the fonts you'll see commonly used in homegrown adventures. The font pack was also released in an earlier form by Kevin Maddocks (Sigmasoft/King) and many of the same fonts were later licensed and bundled with the PAW. It was quite common for authors to rip a font from another game too. Fergus' Delta 4 font was a popular one to steal, I think. ;)

It's Kevin's set #4 used here.

8-bit Text Adventure Gamer - games - research.