The latest ZXDB update will be applied this evening at 1800 BST. The update takes around 30 minutes, and the site goes down whilst this happens.

Blasphemy! Your favourite C64 SID chiptunes...

On the creation of AY or Beeper music, including the packages used to do so.
flatduckrecords
Manic Miner

Re: Blasphemy! Your favourite C64 SID chiptunes...

Post by flatduckrecords »

This week I've been mostly playing with HardSID on eLeMeNt ZX (hopefully allaying any fears that this topic isn't sufficiently Spectrum-related!) It works by driving the eLeMeNt's FPGA SID implementation. (It has a conventional/discrete Z80 but some tunes need it clocked at 7 or 14MHz).

There's also "SID-Emu" versions available for AY or Turbosound if you want to listen to some SID music on a non-SID-endowed Speccy! Have a look at this thread for more info, but grab the files from the eLeMeNt bundle (including the SID-Emu files) since the original links are dead.

One stand-out tune (that I had difficulty playing back, actually) is Cuts'n'Pieces by Jammer. I think it must be using every undocumented trick not in the book though as (a) it sounds incredible, but (b) even some SID players on a real C64 struggle with it! h/t to @[email protected] for bringing this to my attention:

And lets not overlook this all-time banger: