How to detect MCoder II games?

This is the place for general discussion and updates about the ZXDB Database. This forum is not specific to Spectrum Computing.

Moderator: druellan

marenja
Microbot

Re: How to detect MCoder II games?

Post by marenja »

druellan wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:49 am I can give you access to the spreadsheet if you want to take a look an add notes. The big issue we have is really Aquasquad, that is marked in the ZXDB as MCoder II, but I can't confirm it.
I don't think i can do a lot this time as my method of comparing takes significant time. But i will look into Aquasquad and Tank Command during weekend to see if i can do any conclusion about these titles.

My suggestion is to add a column for sequence line numbering. It will help to restore `timeline' if you sort using any other column and need to add any other new game records a year later. A column with `notes' now contains mainly compiler names with rare real comments like

Code: Select all

Andy Remic is confirmed using MCoder II
From the Shaw brothers, they often use MCoder II
Length =  bytes     Run: enter RAND USR
I think it can be renamed to `compiler' for ease of sorting by compiler name. And all real comments can be moved to other column.
druellan
Dynamite Dan

Post by druellan »

marenja wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 10:29 am I don't think i can do a lot this time as my method of comparing takes significant time.
But i will look into Aquasquad and Tank Command during weekend to see if i can do any conclusion about these titles.
Yeah, exactly, don't worry about the other titles, there is no way we can manually check all the titles in the Spectrum collection, but for sure we are going to have a few ones that worth to check and see if we can uncover something. Thanks!
My suggestion is to add a column for sequence line numbering. It will help to restore `timeline' if you sort using any other column and need to add any other new game records a year later. A column with `notes' now contains mainly compiler names with rare real comments like
Done! It was not my intention to flag the compiler type, just to note everything I've found in the title that might or might not confirm it is a compiled code. But this way is more clear for others to take a look and contribute.
druellan
Dynamite Dan

Post by druellan »

Hi @Einar Saukas I've found more titles compiled by Super Compilatore - Softwell, I added them to the spreadsheet (near the end), just in case you are also doing the tagging once you add that particular compiler.

Also, I found another local version of the MCoder II, this time from Hungary.

Code: Select all

1984. PI-VOTY B. Compiler     Compiled OK   Program Length =  bytes   To run enter RAND USR 
But this one seems NOT to be localized, just the copyright changed.

Two games make use of this one:
Tobias Kalandjai - https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/entry/17080
Vadaszat - https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/entry/17081
marenja
Microbot

Post by marenja »

Both games contain mcoder2 library but copyrights are removed. I have compared snapshots of games with mcoder2 snapshot.
Tank Command overwrites compiler messages and copyright with game help text. Probably it is not just obfuscation but a trivial out of memory problem.
Aquasquad overwrites copyright with some binary data.
druellan
Dynamite Dan

Post by druellan »

marenja wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 1:37 pm Aquasquad overwrites copyright with some binary data.
Thanks, probably that's why I can't find the hex I'm using on the search, that is extracted from the binary immediately below the copyright text.