Diagnostics card help.

For experts to discuss very technical stuff and newbies to ask why the Spectrum they bought off ebay doesn't work.
rich_r
Drutt

Re: Diagnostics card help.

Post by rich_r »

Spoke too soon :(

It did pass the Dylan Smith diagnostics, and boot normally so I could get my diagnostics card to swap to Brendan Alford's ROM and run that. That also passed all tests. So I turned it off, swapped to my DivMMC and booted into ESXDOS menus fine. However when I selected a tape to load and it rebooted back to the copyright message.

Pressing the menu button on the DivMMC just rebooted. So I tried the diagnostics card again and now it reports a failure in the upper RAM multiplexer. Which is rather annoying given that's a brand new ZX8401.

Ah well, it did work normally for a good 15 minutes today.
rich_r
Drutt

Post by rich_r »

I'm going to park this Spectrum for a bit. I have another that I think needs just a new keyboard connector, so I'll sort that out and come back to this one at some point in the future. Maybe swapping all the components to a new undamaged pcb might be the best option.
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Post by 1024MAK »

It's possible that it is just a single fault now. Maybe a poor connection somewhere.

But yes, have a break and then come back to it.

Mark
:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :dance
Looking forward to summer later in the year.