RAM disk capacity

For experts to discuss very technical stuff and newbies to ask why the Spectrum they bought off ebay doesn't work.
equinox
Dynamite Dan

RAM disk capacity

Post by equinox »

I was surprised to notice recently that the 128k Speccies don't all have the same size of RAM disk. If you try this on a 128 or +2:

Code: Select all

FOR n=0 TO 99: PRINT n: SAVE ! STR$ n CODE 0,1024: NEXT n
it gets up to number 72 before failing with "4 Out of memory". However, running the equivalent on a +2a or +3:

Code: Select all

FOR n=0 TO 99: PRINT n: SAVE "m:"+STR$ n CODE 0,1024: NEXT n
only reaches 29.

Of course the +2a and +3 have a significantly different ROM from the 128 and +2, but it's the same size ROM. I assumed the RAM banks were basically empty when you switched on (other than the screen display, system variables etc.), so why the big difference in capacity?
zup
Manic Miner

Re: RAM disk capacity

Post by zup »

+3 uses 2k of bank 1 as a disk cache, so they are unavailable as RAM disk.
AndyC
Dynamite Dan

Post by AndyC »

It's not actually the same size ROM, the +2A/+3 has 64K of ROM, where the +2 has just 32K, although I don't think that matters here.

The RAMdisk on the +2 is a very minimal implementation and can use all 5 extra 16K pages on the 128. I'd assume the directory structure is also pretty minimal. The RAMdisk on the +3 is a more fully featured disk emulation as it's provided by +3DOS, but that's limited to only 4 of the banks as +3DOS reserves page 7 for internal use and the second screen, it also reserves some of the RAM for the disk cache (configurable by calling DOS SET 1346)
equinox
Dynamite Dan

Post by equinox »

Hmm, so, relatedly: are there any games that work on a 128/+2 but not on a +2/+3 purely because there isn't enough RAM?
AndyC
Dynamite Dan

Post by AndyC »

equinox wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:37 am Hmm, so, relatedly: are there any games that work on a 128/+2 but not on a +2/+3 purely because there isn't enough RAM?
I doubt it. The Syntax for using the RAMdisk is entirely incompatible between the two, so that'd break thing in BASIC long before running out of RAM.

In a pure m/code game, you can happily trash all the +3DOS reserved memory, unless you're loading from disk. But if someone's done a disk conversion, they've likely already worked around any +3DOS issues.
spider
Dynamite Dan

Post by spider »

Ah yes "!" vs "M" if I recall.

As one bank is used by +3DOS , I wonder what happens with that on the +2A/B , if its got anything in it or used, as in for the ram-disk.
TMD2003
Rick Dangerous

Post by TMD2003 »

equinox wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:37 am Hmm, so, relatedly: are there any games that work on a 128/+2 but not on a +2/+3 purely because there isn't enough RAM?
I spy a challenge on the horizon...
Spectribution: Dr. Jim's Sinclair computing pages.
Features my own programs, modified type-ins, RZXs, character sets & UDGs, and QL type-ins... so far!
AndyC
Dynamite Dan

Post by AndyC »

spider wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 2:08 pm Ah yes "!" vs "M" if I recall.

As one bank is used by +3DOS , I wonder what happens with that on the +2A/B , if its got anything in it or used, as in for the ram-disk.
It's the same. +3DOS still reserves some for a disk cache and keeps the second screen free regardless of whether a disk drive is attached or not.
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Post by 1024MAK »

The +2A/+2B/+3/+3B use essentially the same ROM code, hence work the same (more or less) when it comes to common features.

Mark
:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :dance
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
equinox
Dynamite Dan

Post by equinox »

TMD2003 wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 2:34 pm I spy a challenge on the horizon...
Yeah, unfortunately my Rockfall 3 mod may prove to be the first one. So I'm going to have to do a standard +3 multiload version too (in which case I might as well also allow it to work on a 48K or +2a with tape or +D)... zzz...
At least if I can work out that bloody issue in the other thread, else it's all off.

I can remember a very few utilities that worked with the RAM disk, btw. The 128 version of the (Wham!) Music Box was one (and actually used BASIC for the RAM load & save), Superfile was another. Art Studio 128 offers RAM save but there's presumably no BASIC involved there.