Game Of The Year 2023 Final Vote

People are still making stuff for the Sinclair related machines. Tell us about new games and other software that runs on the Spectrum, ZX80/ZX81, Pentagon and Next.

Choose up to 3 for your Game of The Year 2023 winner

Poll ended at Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:37 pm

Wycheweald
17%
Seraphima
22%
EXO-TICAL
4%
Johnny The Ghost
7%
Super Bomberman 2 Remix
2%
Bruxólico
6%
FOREST ESCAPE - A KNIGHT'S QUEST
3%
Haoken
3%
Bomber Pengo
2%
Speccy Soccer Community Edition 2023
8%
Tuerkas the White Cat
1%
Pacman
4%
Ramire the Vampire and the Mystery of the Papyrus
1%
COINZ are Mine!
4%
ZX Robots
2%
Tenebra 2
3%
Storm Over Valhalla
1%
Jam!
3%
Area 51 - The Roswell Incident
2%
The Mijadore Vase
6%

Total votes: 183

Mpk
Dynamite Dan

Game Of The Year 2023 Final Vote

Post by Mpk »

Here we go, Spec-chums - the final vote.
20 games have made it through to this stage - You make vote for up to 3.
Vote for the game or games that you enjoyed playing most this year.
You may alter your votes at any time until the poll closes.

Games are presented in order of seeding - the 4 group winners appear first, then the group 2nd place finishers etc.

Note that votes from users who registered after the first poll started on December 10 will be discounted from the final total. Sorry about that.

Congratulations to everyone who managed to get a game out in 2023, and good luck to all the finalists.

Wycheweald
This fantasy epic does a great job bringing a first-person Bard's Tale style RPG to the Spectrum. This is not a genre with a huge number of titles on the Spectrum, but in the year that Baldur's Gate made CRPGs cool again, this was there keep the Speccy's end up. Atmospheric and satisfying.

Seraphima
Big, colourful, responsive sprites, a big Dun-Darachy map to explore, cool guns, speech. Technically this an absolute powerhouse. I can't get along with the jumping mechanics ( Flap your wIngs, luv! ) and the sudden death, but this is a definite contender.

EXO-TICAL
The first obstacle in this bright and colourful Cybernoidesque shooter is a set of vines that you have to blast through, in what feels like an homage to Airwolf's infamous wall. The vines are trivially easy, but the don't let that put you off guard. The rest of the game is absolutely unforgiving, but there's enough variety to keep you coming back. Top notch.

Johnny The Ghost
Johnny the Ghost is a little-known Atari 400/800 puzzle game, released in 1994 long after the 8-bit hayday. Given a bright and colourful new life by this conversion, it's easy on the eye, controls are spot on and puzzles are increasingly devious, and as satisfying as they were 30 years ago.

Super Bomberman 2 Remix
Despite the clear copyright infringement, this costs $3. That's the spirit! And if you like Bomberman, this is a very professional and slick production.

Bruxólico
Visually unique sidescroller, like a vapourwave goth Rygar, with a marvellous big-footed attack animation. For me, visually the best game of the year. Gameplay is simple, but offers up variety in each short level and boss encounter, not unlike a 2-D Mario.

FOREST ESCAPE - A KNIGHT'S QUEST
This is a colourful exploratory platformer with an interesting mushroom-eating powerup system. Sequel to 2022's Castle Escape, with all proceeds going to charity.

Haoken
Slashy, dashy, double-jumping ninja platform action. Adds enough to the basic traversal to make this stand out from the platforming crowd.

Bomber Pengo
A top quality arcade game. Looks, plays and sounds great. Tough as nails, but fair.

An extraordinary Sensible Soccer remake. How can this possibly be this smooth? Immediately playable but very difficult to master, this is very accurate to the original in that regard.

Tuerkas the White Cat
Pretty slick cat-themed platformer with some unique traversal gimmicks. Will set you back to the start if you lose a life, which is harrowing, but this is a unique design.

Pacman
Buttery-smooth, this is a fine and accurate Pacman conversion. The movement and pre-turning works perfectly, the established arcade patterns seem to work, the inter-level animations are there. Stellar work, really.

Ramire the Vampire and the Mystery of the Papyrus
A characterful platformer with good presentation and music, and a variety of challenges that elevate the gameplay beyond simple jumping puzzles.

COINZ are Mine!
Excellently animated single-character sprites in a fast moving and devious platform puzzler. A hoot, and offers a 2-player mode that promises mayhem.

ZX Robots
Sharp-looking isometric game with fun block-pushing robot-smashing action. Back in the Spectrum's heyday, you couldn't move for isometric games, but they're few and far between these days. Refreshing.

Tenebra 2
Terrific puzzle sequel that looks like a rogue-like but isn't. My only complaint about Tenebra was there there wasn't enough of it, and now there's more of it. Huzzah!

Storm Over Valhalla
Live-action Video trailer? Check! 80s hair metal soundtrack? Check! Cool cover art and loading screens? Check! Tough, exploratory platforming with neat combat? Check! Occasional issues with jumping and ladders that will get you killed unfairly, undermining the whole thing? Check! Almost great, this one is very much worth a look despite its issues.

Jam!
This is a sound adaptation of the Rush Hour board/puzzle game, where you have to slide the block-shaped cars around to allow one car to move out of the maze. By Clive 'Saboteur' Townsend, this delivers a classic puzzle game in a classily presented package.

Area 51 - The Roswell Incident
One of several mutiple-choice text adventure from Furillo, this one has a 50s b-movie/x-files style and story. One of the best-looking games this year for me, with is slightly ironic for a text game.

The Mijadore Vase
Super-smooth movement, a double jump and a killer soundtrack all elevate this very tricky platformer. A bit of a treat this one, although you can expect to be restarting a lot.
Jbizzel
Dynamite Dan

Re: Game Of The Year 2023 Final Vote

Post by Jbizzel »

vote cast! Come real quality here!!
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Tricky. I've got it down to seven. Now I need to get it to three :|
gabriele amore
Microbot

Post by gabriele amore »

What a great selection!
but wait! I was expecting Speecy Soccer to compete for the podium... Come on people! it's a fantastic soccer game! vote it! vote it! :D
Mpk
Dynamite Dan

Post by Mpk »

gabriele amore wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 2:26 pm I was expecting Speccy Soccer to compete for the podium...
It's joint 3rd, so all to play for.
J. Pirés
Drutt

Post by J. Pirés »

There are very good games on that list!!
The almost Solomon-like task that the SC administrators place on us is to choose only three games :)
I plead with the site admins to allow choosing at least 5 games.
Honestly, I believe it would be a bit fairer for all the creators.
RANDOMIZE USR 1333
Mpk
Dynamite Dan

Post by Mpk »

Voting has been neck-and-neck at the top all week, with Seraphima opening up a small gap at the top ahead of the weekend.

3rd place could go a few ways, with Speccy Soccer just ahead by a nose from The Mijadore Vase and Johnny the Ghost.

Bruxólico disappointing a bit : maybe the €10 price for the full multimedia experience is holding it back.

Anyway, Don't forget to vote!
J. Pirés wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 3:51 pm I plead with the site admins to allow choosing at least 5 games.
Are you saying you're not wise enough? Tsk.
Joefish
Rick Dangerous

Post by Joefish »

Seraphima looks great, and I love the way there are several different parallax effects for different areas. But it has some very poor jumping - particularly for a character with such obvious wings, poor level design with too many downward leaps of faith, and a lot of pointless wandering in and out of doorways that seem to link totally unrelated areas. There's just not really a lot of game to it. At least Valley of Rains had some action going on.

That said, I can also only play so many AGD variants on a theme. If it was the toolkit itself that was up for the award, then that would be something to celebrate!
Mpk
Dynamite Dan

Post by Mpk »

Joefish wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:59 am Seraphima looks great, and I love the way there are several different parallax effects for different areas. But it has some very poor jumping - particularly for a character with such obvious wings
They're not functional wings, she's clearly a moonlighting Victoria's Secret Angel.
I feel the same about it. It's technically amazing, but doesn't play as well as some others.
Joefish wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:59 am That said, I can also only play so many AGD variants on a theme. If it was the toolkit itself that was up for the award, then that would be something to celebrate!
Maybe next year, who knows.
J. Pirés
Drutt

Post by J. Pirés »

Mpk wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 9:07 am Are you saying you're not wise enough?
Well, you know, wisdom does have its limits.
I figured a bit of mathematical generosity could spice up the voting process.
After all, why settle for a mere three choices when we can let the numbers dance a bit more
Will your wisdom extend to grasping the nuances of this mathematical symphony of options?
Mpk wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 9:07 am Tsk.
How unfortunate that we can't discuss this more maturely
RANDOMIZE USR 1333
Mpk
Dynamite Dan

Post by Mpk »

J. Pirés wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 2:11 pm Well, you know, wisdom does have its limits.
I figured a bit of mathematical generosity could spice up the voting process.
After all, why settle for a mere three choices when we can let the numbers dance a bit more
Will your wisdom extend to grasping the nuances of this mathematical symphony of options?

How unfortunate that we can't discuss this more maturely
I was joking, playing on the Wisdom of Solomon cliche.

We had 5 votes in the 4 group voting, and wanted to tighten it up a little for the final. 3 votes amongst 20 is a good balance, I think. As the votes aren't weighted, I wanted to be sure that we were only voting for options we really liked, and avoid the chance that a game wins because it's everyone's fifth choice.

I could have asked the admins to implement transferable preferential voting, I suppose, but I imagine they'd have had me killed instead.
J. Pirés
Drutt

Post by J. Pirés »

Mpk wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 2:40 pm I was joking, playing on the Wisdom of Solomon cliche.

We had 5 votes in the 4 group voting, and wanted to tighten it up a little for the final. 3 votes amongst 20 is a good balance, I think. As the votes aren't weighted, I wanted to be sure that we were only voting for options we really liked, and avoid the chance that a game wins because it's everyone's fifth choice.

I could have asked the admins to implement transferable preferential voting, I suppose, but I imagine they'd have had me killed instead.
No problem, I didn't catch the Salomon joke. Everything's fine!
RANDOMIZE USR 1333
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

Joefish wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:59 am There's just not really a lot of game to it.
But it will probably win anyway, for obvious reasons.
J. Pirés
Drutt

Post by J. Pirés »

Einar Saukas wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:23 pm But it will probably win anyway, for obvious reasons.
Well, it looks like the game has not only nailed the parallax scrolling in the X-axis but also attempted to keep us scrolling on the Y-axis! It all depends on preferences. A true winner, whether it's for the gameplay or those, uh, extra features.
RANDOMIZE USR 1333
Mpk
Dynamite Dan

Post by Mpk »

Last chance folks, to submit / review your votes.
Seraphima has opened up a lead, but the race for 3rd is still very close.

Poll closes tonight. Keep in mind that we will be checking the data after the poll as mentioned :
votes from users who registered after the first poll started on December 10 will be discounted from the final total. Sorry about that.
Hopefully that won't change the results.
akeley
Dynamite Dan

Post by akeley »

I did vote for Seraphima, along Wychewald and Speccy Soccer. I think it's got enough meaty gameplay going on there too alongside the eye candy and tech tricks. I'd prefer Wychewald to win, but am happy that a game from this underrepresented on the ZX genre got such big recognition anyway and gave Seraphima a run for her money.
Matt_B
Manic Miner

Post by Matt_B »

Yeah, I think we've got the three best games out front, if not necessarily in the right order.

I'd lean toward Speccy Soccer myself, as the gameplay-over-graphics option. It also looks way better in action than it does in the screenshot.
Mpk
Dynamite Dan

Post by Mpk »

Please stand by while votes are checked for, like, hanging chads or whatever.
Mpk
Dynamite Dan

Post by Mpk »

Finally, out of the 166 entrants, you've gone and picked your top 3.

In 3rd :
The beautiful game has never been so frantic or so smooth as it is in
ImageImage

In 2nd :
Battling through the mud, defeating all but one opponent with tactical nous, it's
https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/entry/3 ... Wycheweald
Image Image

And your 2023 Game of the Year is
https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/entry/3 ... /Seraphima
Image Image

Congratulations to our winners, and indeed to everyone who published one of the 166 titles.

Thank you all for voting, and for putting up with a few hiccups asking the way.
Red Zebra
Drutt

Post by Red Zebra »

Wow! Thanks for all the votes everyone!
The positive reception to Wycheweald has been both unexpected and gratifying :)
Joefish
Rick Dangerous

Post by Joefish »

Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

Haha...! Love MST3k...
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
Manu128k
Dizzy

Post by Manu128k »

I think that Seraphima and Wycheweald are awesome games and they deserve to be amongst the best of the year. I'm myself a small part of the team of Speccy Soccer and that third place makes me quite happy. That and also knowing that so many people played it and liked it.

Thanks to all those who released a game for our wonderful machine the last year :D (and also to Mpk for all the hard work involved in making and running these GOTY polls)
catmeows
Manic Miner

Post by catmeows »

Manu128k wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:12 pm I think that Seraphima and Wycheweald are awesome games and they deserve to be amongst the best of the year. I'm myself a small part of the team of Speccy Soccer and that third place makes me quite happy. That and also knowing that so many people played it and liked it.

Thanks to all those who released a game for our wonderful machine the last year :D (and also to Mpk for all the hard work involved in making and running these GOTY polls)
It is really unfortunate when there are three titles of such qualities in single competion. Each of them could easily win GOTY another year.
Proud owner of Didaktik M
voxeltower
Drutt

Post by voxeltower »

Third place for Speccy Soccer, I didn't expect it, thank you all very much for voting for us. It is an honor for us to be among these wonderful games.