A question about entries without a genre

This is the place for general discussion and updates about the ZXDB Database. This forum is not specific to Spectrum Computing.

Moderator: druellan

martingzzz
Drutt

A question about entries without a genre

Post by martingzzz »

I notice there are a smallish number of `entries` records (1499) where `genretype_id` is `null`

Does this suggest:
1) Those entries in reality do have a genre, but it is not yet known/recorded?
2) Those entries in reality do have a genre, but it isn't one of the existing ones in `genretypes` table?
3) The entry really doesn't have a genre at all (whatever that means) and `null` is the correct value.

I am asking because a few of those entries chosen at random seem to have reasonably obvious genres to me. If the answer is (1), perhaps I will find time to make suggestions for some of the missing values.

It would be nice if ultimately all entries had a genre.
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Re: A question about entries without a genre

Post by Einar Saukas »

martingzzz wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 5:39 pm I notice there are a smallish number of `entries` records (1499) where `genretype_id` is `null`

Does this suggest:
1) Those entries in reality do have a genre, but it is not yet known/recorded?
2) Those entries in reality do have a genre, but it isn't one of the existing ones in `genretypes` table?
3) The entry really doesn't have a genre at all (whatever that means) and `null` is the correct value.
Option 1.

Most of them are ZX81 titles imported from Martijn's old WoS, that didn't store much detailed information about the ZX81.

martingzzz wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 5:39 pm I am asking because a few of those entries chosen at random seem to have reasonably obvious genres to me. If the answer is (1), perhaps I will find time to make suggestions for some of the missing values.
Please go ahead! You can submit your suggestions using the HELP form.

martingzzz wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 5:39 pm It would be nice if ultimately all entries had a genre.
Agreed!