Run and take screens from Planet Protector by Nigel Stuart (UK)

Whether it's Mire Mare or a BASIC tape you found in the attic, it needs to be preserved digitally. Post here and experts can help to do so.

Moderator: pavero

druellan
Dynamite Dan

Run and take screens from Planet Protector by Nigel Stuart (UK)

Post by druellan »

Hi! Can someone with experience take a look at Planet Protector? https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/entry/21845
The game was compiled or is a save from MCoder II. The tape image has two code blocks repeated one after the other, and they sound identical.

I want to try and execute it so we can take a screenshot and validate that the image works (and provide instructions in a note).
Hope someone can lead a hand, thanks!
catmeows
Manic Miner

Re: Run and take screens from Planet Protector by Nigel Stuart (UK)

Post by catmeows »

In my opinion the tape is incomplete.
I was looking what is on the tape (some sound routines, at least one screen fx routine, udgs and the compiler) and I think, it contains just last code block from game. When I was looking on some other games by same author I noticed the games usualy contain three parts: Basic, Compiled Basic, block with assembler routines for sound and fx, udgs and compiler runtime.
And I think the code block on Planet Protector tape is the last block only and compiled Basic is missing.
Proud owner of Didaktik M
druellan
Dynamite Dan

Re: Run and take screens from Planet Protector by Nigel Stuart (UK)

Post by druellan »

Thanks! I was looking around but seems that all the tape images I can find are the same. I'm going to add a note in the entry stating that the tape image is incomplete and the game probably MIA.
✓ Reviewed