Iconic Character Sprites

Share graphical tips, notes and queries related to our favourite screen layout and its editors.
hitm4n
Manic Miner

Iconic Character Sprites

Post by hitm4n »

So i saw someone had made a huge lego Atic Atac piece for their wall and was inspired (he said it was over 1m wide, spotted it on Facebook).
Since seeing it i have been putting together a sprite sheet and have enquired about lego costs buying in bulk.
If done with 1x1 bricks we are at almost 23,000 bricks with the current image dimensions. So this may end up being printed and framed instead, lol.

Would be nice to combine 2 loves, speccy and lego together, but well, that much lego just costs a fortune.
I've really tried to find the original image again too, its awesome, i'll edit the picture in if i do find it.
Shout up if it was "you"!

So i'm not showing off this art, its literally me pasting sprites together, this is more a request...
I'm going for early Spectrum, iconic and identifiable sprites. Who is missing here? Ideas please.

I need more charcters from games that played on white backgrounds too for the left half. These are harder to find as the majority of Speccy games played on a black background.

This is a personal piece too, so please don't be upset if i ignore any suggested icons :) Ta.

edit// i found it.
I don't have anything cool to put here, so i'll just be off now to see a priest with yeast stuck between his teeth and his friend called Keith who's a hairpiece thief...
R-Tape
Site Admin

Re: Iconic Character Sprites

Post by R-Tape »

That Lego piece is great. I imagine it took a bit of negotiation for wall space!

I like your dark/light split screen idea too. Ikari Warriors?
hitm4n
Manic Miner

Post by hitm4n »

The orange and brown is to match my living room. This is going to be a thing eventually, i'll post a pic of the framed art when done.

Ikari Warriors - good call, for me it was always Commando though, so i've picked up a sprite from that instead and added it in :)
Layout is subject to change as it fills up...

I don't have anything cool to put here, so i'll just be off now to see a priest with yeast stuck between his teeth and his friend called Keith who's a hairpiece thief...
toot_toot
Manic Miner

Post by toot_toot »

Anything that’s 3D Isometric feels quite iconic, it’s also a style that’s used in modern games or imagery to kind of replicate an 8-bit or 16-bit era.

https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/list?group_id=11004

Some off the top of my head that you don’t have

Alien 8

Ant Attack (not a great image of the sprite, mind)

Fairlight

Great Escape

Knight Lore

Where Time Stood Still

Mpk
Dynamite Dan

Post by Mpk »

Hunchback?

I'd have Bugaboo and the dragon on opposite sides.
Left side has Batman, Ikari guy, Cobra, I think they're going to take the right side out pretty easily.
hitm4n
Manic Miner

Post by hitm4n »

This is not a war... They are all gonna have a big lovefest in the middle...
Maria has a bit of a thing for men in white coats, thats why she's pointing out Mr. Rockit :)

Ant Attack and Fairlight are going in. Thx.

Knight Lore is essentially Sabreman and he is represented, so i have thought about this one. Was trying to steer clear of Isometric characters too, but Head and Heels are in there, so i think...... yeah, the Werewolf is going in too.

brb
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

Movie
Kokotoni Wilf
Firelord
Dan Dare
Gunfright
Nightshade
hitm4n
Manic Miner

Post by hitm4n »

Wolfman, Ant Attack, Technician Ted, Fairlight all added. I can expand more...

Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Marsport
Android One
Android Two
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Sir Fred
g0blinish
Manic Miner

Post by g0blinish »

hitm4n
Manic Miner

Post by hitm4n »

Movie, Dan Dare, Android Two added. Canvas expanded.

hitm4n
Manic Miner

Post by hitm4n »

Brilliant. Gonna be VERY useful that...

Bugaboo swapped over. Gonna go through the sprite pack that g0blinish kindly linked me to. Updates later.
bluespikey
Manic Miner

Post by bluespikey »

Gotta have a chaos wizard or two in there.

Skool daze and match day were none black background.
Mpk
Dynamite Dan

Post by Mpk »

Antiriad guy?
Bomb Jack?
Football manager?
Evil Genius
Manic Miner

Post by Evil Genius »

For the light side:

Saboteur
Exploding Fist
Lords of Midnight
Robocop (II)
Spy vs Spy

For the Dark Side:

Jetman
"Daley Thompson"
Thanatos (might be too big of course, unless you can balance it up with one of similar size on the other side)
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

Some iconic characters here:

hitm4n
Manic Miner

Post by hitm4n »

Excellent images, i've grabbed those for later, thanks.

I found a site that can create a pixel art (buyable) kit of your photos. They use 24x24 plates and 1x1 bricks. Far from cheap, but not quite as scary prices as i thought. Its maybe doable... The website has a built in app for uploading your image and seeing a price instantly... https://app.brick.me/

As it is using fixed plates of 24x24, keeping the image as sharp as possible means using a pixel value divisible by 24. This has resulted in me shuffling things around, removing the coloured bars, making it 168x120 in the end. I've dropped Dan Dare and added Cookie and i have just 1 gap left.

Einars posted pictures will probably give me my last character, i'm leaning towards Project Future, loved that game.

Anyway, latest version is...

patters
Manic Miner

Post by patters »

Jet Pac guy
Nitrowing
Manic Miner

Post by Nitrowing »

"Loading Facebook SDK. You will need to disable any adblocker, privacy extension, or built-in tracking protection."

Ah :?
Evil Genius
Manic Miner

Post by Evil Genius »

Nitrowing wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 9:37 pm "Loading Facebook SDK. You will need to disable any adblocker, privacy extension, or built-in tracking protection."

Ah :?
Yeah. Obllocks to that. But if you quote the post you can see the original FB link, and just copy that to a new tab.

This is the pic

It's not a 1:1 reproduction so it's a bit glitchy in places, like on the Ultimate logo. I don't think I'd want to spend all that on it when a nice print would look better and be less expensive.
Nick
Manic Miner

Post by Nick »

Axil The Able from Heavy On The Magick
hitm4n
Manic Miner

Post by hitm4n »

This is the website, showing cost and size. OMG the size. Although i have the ideal bit of wall space...
So 168 pixels wide is 1.35m in lego! And a bargain at £350. lol.

If i made it 4x6 plates instead of 5x7 it'd be £240, but still 1.1m wide.
MatGubbins
Dynamite Dan

Post by MatGubbins »

With my Lego in front of me, 128 studs is 98cm.
That makes 256 studs being just under 2 metres wide, 192 studs is just under a metre and a half.
Now that is huge and rather heavy.
It would fit on one wall, but it will be from the ceiling downwards and be hidden behind a few bits such as the TV.
worcestersource
Manic Miner

Post by worcestersource »

I’d propose Space Cadet Farley from Project Future.