Anyone made any 2024 Speccy-related New Year Resolutions?

Y'know, other stuff, Sinclair related.
Morkin
Bugaboo

Anyone made any 2024 Speccy-related New Year Resolutions?

Post by Morkin »

...So what Speccy-related resolutions have we all made for 2024?

I'm going to try to play a few more of the newer Speccy games released this year. The 2023 GOTY thread made me realise that I didn't play many last year.

Also I'm going to try to play (and hopefully complete) more Speccy text adventures - both classic and new. Just because I tend to enjoy these once I get going.
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
PROSM
Manic Miner

Re: Anyone made any 2024 Speccy-related New Year Resolutions?

Post by PROSM »

Mine is 256 by 192, same as last year :mrgreen:

More seriously, I'd like to get at least one new game out this year. I spent some of 2023 working on porting my Spectrum games over to the PC, so I hope to finish that. In the process, I've had a few PC game ideas that would probably be feasible on the Spectrum as well, so it would be nice to do a multi-format release.
All software to-date
Working on something, as always.
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

My main one was the same as I said I'd do for 2022 and 2023 (but obviously didn't). The aim to finally give THE WORLD (alright, the internet) my own ZX Spectrum game - created/designed/coded purely by me.

And already in this month, I've put more work into that than the entirety of those two years, so I'm actually on to something. It has to happen.

Oh and yeah, echoing @Morkin's thoughts, it's about time I got up to speed with properly modern homebrew - the class of 2024! I feel like doing a binge at the end of each month.

According to this site's search, the only thing to have come out for the ZX Spectrum this year so far, is Psyqo Santa.

Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Likewise, I'd like to complete more Speccy games this year. I want to get match-fit again at playing text adventures - I was hopeless when I tried some in December. I'd like to make one too, though I'm not sure whether to make my own parser or use one of the makers like PAW.

There have been a fair few more in the Brand New Software section yet to be added to the DB @PeteProdge
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

R-Tape wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:25 pm There have been a fair few more in the Brand New Software section yet to be added to the DB @PeteProdge
I'm not too surprised! We seem to get a new Speccy game every week!
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
Mpk
Dynamite Dan

Post by Mpk »

My resolution is to start the GOTY process earlier than the last week of November. I played 150 games in like 5 weeks. What a fool.
bluespikey
Manic Miner

Post by bluespikey »

Learn Z80 mcode, just to the level needed to move a sprite around the screen with keys.

Just like the 10 previous years.
Prodatron
Drutt

Post by Prodatron »

My Speccy-related resolution for 2024 is to port the SymbOS operating system to the Spectrum Next.
Then I will finally be at least a little bit part of the legendary Spectrum scene.
sn3j
Manic Miner

Post by sn3j »

I'm hoping to get some cool things done in Z80 assembler. Recently I've published a demo showing off my point-and-click mouse driver for Basic. It's one puzzle piece to get to a playable game one day. (One day, cause I'm not fast). Currently I'm developing a way finding library based on the A*-algorithm. You'll need this to get the quickest path in an arbitrary terrain.
POKE 23614,10: STOP      1..0 hold, SS/m/n colors, b/spc toggle
Hedge1970
Manic Miner

Post by Hedge1970 »

I had plans last year for a survival game but after spending a short while building it in basic it turned out to be far too slow. Therefore i’d like to do this game in machine code but I need to learn machine code first which I’m finding quite challenging - to say the least. I’ve also collected most of the parts needed to assemble an IO card for the 48k and would like to get a basic Scalextric lap counting system up and running.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

If anyone is casually thinking about starting Speccy coding, I can thoroughly recommend making a Crap Games Comp game. It’s got all the creative fun and none of the pressure!
catmeows
Manic Miner

Post by catmeows »

I have three:
1) To finish coding of shmup planned for WOOT 2023 (that is less or more sure thing)
2) Move on with Telebugs project (there is some uncertainity what we want to do)
3) Make a beat-em up game (I have very clear idea about WHAT and HOW, though I doubt my capability to draw sprites for the game).
Proud owner of Didaktik M
Namtip
Drutt

Post by Namtip »

Hedge1970 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 4:42 pmI’ve also collected most of the parts needed to assemble an IO card for the 48k and would like to get a basic Scalextric lap counting system up and running.
I'd be interested in following this project if you document it somewhere. What chips and circuit diagram etc...
TMD2003
Rick Dangerous

Post by TMD2003 »

I have no resolutions. I could say "I will spend time programming the Next", but after it took as long as it did to arrive, that's just what I'm going to do anyway, time of year irrelevant.

It has proved to be a useful distraction from the cold conditions outside, even if this does mean breathing in more carbon monoxide than I'd otherwise want to do. Still, 19 ppm isn't a concerning level...
Spectribution: Dr. Jim's Sinclair computing pages.
Features my own programs, modified type-ins, RZXs, character sets & UDGs, and QL type-ins... so far!
EdToo
Manic Miner

Post by EdToo »

Finish off the last two adventures in my series. One 80% coded, the other 30% but I've mislaid the book of notes I made on it last year.

Survive C.S.S.C.G.C.

Learn z80 machine code.

Repair my poor rubber keyed 48k.
TakuikaNinja
Drutt

Post by TakuikaNinja »

My main one this year is to learn Vortex Tracker 2 for AYM music. I'm also thinking of getting back into learning Z80 assembly.
Oloturia
Manic Miner

Post by Oloturia »

Make a size comparison chart of every robot or android ever appeared on a Spectrum game like this one:
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_YF1tNfQVN8w/T ... 1600/1.jpg
From Pixy to El Poder Oscuro.

Maybe I'll start a thread about that, it could be fun.
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

Cool to see a few resolutions about learning assembly/machine code. It's never too late..! 8-)
Hedge1970 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 4:42 pmI’ve also collected most of the parts needed to assemble an IO card for the 48k and would like to get a basic Scalextric lap counting system up and running.
Let us know if you need any playtesters... ;)
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
Timmy
Manic Miner

Post by Timmy »

I haven't played that many new Spectrum games last year. I should probably do that.

Also I am currently writing a tutorial about ZX81 C programming.

And hopefully I have time to make at least 1 spectrum game this year. (But that's still only a hope.)

Of course also, 256x192. ;)