'never released' 'not a Spectrum game' trash

This is the place to request ZXDB corrections (add missing data or fix incorrect information)

Moderators: druellan, pavero

Lethargeek
Manic Miner

'never released' 'not a Spectrum game' trash

Post by Lethargeek »

I see Ultima7, Ultima Underworld and Wizardry5 appearing at the bottom of the score page (maybe there are more like these with higher scores, who knows). I didn't even suspect there were entries like these. What are they doing in the ZXDB? These are not just "never released" but almost 100% never even thought to be released, being way to big even for the 128k. The linked articles i checked also have nothing Spectrum-related.

So is it ok now to bring %any-random-peecee-game into the database? Why are people allowed voting for them? These entries are just polluting the database (and the scores page). While at the same time some of the actual Spectrum games are hidden.

And even if i overlooked something and there were actual release announcements i think at the very least the voting has to be disabled for al the unreleased software (to save at least the already messy enough scores pages).
+3code
Manic Miner

Re: 'never released' 'not a Spectrum game' trash

Post by +3code »

Agree. I'm one of these that have voted 0 for these titles to mark the freakiness of having it in the database. Im sure never was a planned version of Ultima 7 for zx.

Edit: we have an interesting clone of Ultima 1, The Ring of Darkness, and at least one recent remake of Akhalabeth, but Ultima 7? No, for sure.

Edit2: a different case could be titles like Toki or The Gianna Sisters, of course.
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

Lethargeek wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 5:23 pm So is it ok now to bring %any-random-peecee-game into the database?
Nobody's bringing any-random-peecee-game into the database. These items came from Martijn's WoS, that obtained the magazine references from SPOT/SPEX.

The idea here is to recheck each of these titles. For instance, if plans for a Spectrum version was ever mentioned, it's probably worth it to keep an entry so we can properly clarify the details. Otherwise the entry should be removed.

We didn't do it yet because, when we wrote the ZXDB Roadmap years ago, this task was considered low priority in comparison to everything else. But we will eventually get there...
8BitAG
Dynamite Dan

Post by 8BitAG »

We have discussed many of these entries in past threads, such as this one...
viewtopic.php?p=26260
8-bit Text Adventure Gamer - games - research.
Lethargeek
Manic Miner

Post by Lethargeek »

Einar Saukas wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:23 pm Nobody's bringing any-random-peecee-game into the database. These items came from Martijn's WoS, that obtained the magazine references from SPOT/SPEX.
So what? These items are still random non-spectrum games with random non-spectrum references.
Einar Saukas wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:23 pm The idea here is to recheck each of these titles.
My idea here is that unchecked "never released" & "non-spectrum" should not be visible until checked. And never votable.
Einar Saukas wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:23 pm For instance, if plans for a Spectrum version was ever mentioned, it's probably worth it to keep an entry so we can properly clarify the details.
IF. But it wasn't checked either it seems.
Einar Saukas wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:23 pm Otherwise the entry should be removed.
a hidden entry could be removed just as easily
Einar Saukas wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:23 pm We didn't do it yet because, when we wrote the ZXDB Roadmap years ago, this task was considered low priority in comparison to everything else. But we will eventually get there...
So it could take forever and meanwhile the garbage will be left rotting in plain sight under the sun. Put a lid over it at least. After all, the adult tagged titles were all hidden overnight, so why not these?
Lethargeek
Manic Miner

Post by Lethargeek »

8BitAG wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:03 pm We have discussed many of these entries in past threads, such as this one...
viewtopic.php?p=26260
yet another proof that something needs to be done now, not "eventually"
or the drowned corpse will resurface over and over again