Why yellow?

Share graphical tips, notes and queries related to our favourite screen layout and its editors.
Sol_HSA
Microbot

Why yellow?

Post by Sol_HSA »

Why are so many spectrum games so... yellow?
bluespikey
Manic Miner

Re: Why yellow?

Post by bluespikey »

Cos its The Spectrum. If you want earthworm brown or vaguely light purple, go and play on a C64.
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

One of the mysteries of the universe, I guess.

I'm now waiting for someone to start up a project to count how many games in the archive are PAPER 6.
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
+3code
Manic Miner

Post by +3code »

highrise
Manic Miner

Post by highrise »

Likely because there's no pink or brown, so it's often used for skin tone.
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Post by 1024MAK »

Yello, 'cus it's the colour of the Sun and it brightens your day... :D

Reasons to be cheerful, part two.

Mark

First reason of course being that you got a Speccy :D
:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :dance
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

I think it's a nicer contrast than the harsh yin-yang of black/white glaring at you. It looks a lot crisper in yellow/black.

Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
AndyC
Dynamite Dan

Post by AndyC »

Yeah, I think it's because it offers good contrast if the secondary colour is black, without feeling entirely colourless in the way a pure black/white version often does.
Sokurah
Manic Miner

Post by Sokurah »

AndyC wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 5:24 pm Yeah, I think it's because it offers good contrast if the secondary colour is black, without feeling entirely colourless in the way a pure black/white version often does.
I was just about to say the same - high contrast with black but less boring than white.

But also showing C64 users, that our games can look like p!ss and still be better than their offerings ;) :D
Website: Tardis Remakes / Mostly remakes of Arcade and ZX Spectrum games.
My games for the Spectrum: Dingo, The Speccies, The Speccies 2, Vallation & Sqij.
Twitter: Sokurah
Oloturia
Manic Miner

Post by Oloturia »

ZX Spectrum's palette is made of the primary colours of both systems, additive (Red, Green, Blue and White) and subtractive (Cyan, Magenta, Yellow and Black).

Besides, once I read on this forum about this table:
1 Blue + 2 Red = 3 Magenta
1 Blue + 4 Green = 5 Cyan
2 Red + 4 Green = 6 Yellow
1 Blue + 2 Red + 4 Green = 7 White
spider
Dynamite Dan

Post by spider »

bluespikey wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 2:51 pm Cos its The Spectrum. If you want earthworm brown or vaguely light purple, go and play on a C64.
Best answer. I did like that machine in a way however the brownish and purple shades did not inspire.

Talking of yellow, the BBC has a bright enough one... (If it had it, I'd say "BRIGHT 2") :D
Spoiler
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Post by 1024MAK »

Oloturia wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 7:40 pm ZX Spectrum's palette is made of the primary colours of both systems, additive (Red, Green, Blue and White) and subtractive (Cyan, Magenta, Yellow and Black).
It's all additive colour. Subtractive colour is for colour absorbing systems, like ink on paper.

For those watching in black and white...
Spoiler
Red + Green = Yellow
Red + Blue = Magenta
Green + Blue = Cyan.
Red + Green + Blue = White.
Mark
:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :dance
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

The ZX Spectrum. Giving you both of the 4-colour palettes of a CGA-equipped PC from 1982 onwards.
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
Juan F. Ramirez
Bugaboo

Post by Juan F. Ramirez »

On the contrary, I have the feeling most games have black background.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Oddly the archive for "yellow" brings up The Yellow Umbrella Shop. I was hoping it was the most niche bit of software for the most niche shop ever, but it looks like it was a charity shop that stocked more than just yellow umbrellas :(
Timmy
Manic Miner

Post by Timmy »

I like bright colours in my life. Yellow really does help.

Also, because it's a nice song. :lol:
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

All the very best ZX Spectrum games were made in ye...

...erm... well... uh... nearly all. Well, some of them.
Wall_Axe
Manic Miner

Post by Wall_Axe »

Why didn't they use dithered red and white pixels for skin tone?
AndyC
Dynamite Dan

Post by AndyC »

Wall_Axe wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:40 am Why didn't they use dithered red and white pixels for skin tone?
Usually because it means you have to have either white or red around the edges because of attributes and humans typically not being very square shaped.
+3code
Manic Miner

Post by +3code »

Morkin wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 3:09 pm I'm now waiting for someone to start up a project to count how many games in the archive are PAPER 6.
Totally agree. Maybe a thread of "Your favourite Yellow Game?"

Edit: most of them started in yellow and then in the next levels changed to "all cyan", "all green", and so, but some of us only played the first levels, I assume.
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

+3code wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 11:04 am Totally agree. Maybe a thread of "Your favourite Yellow Game?"

Edit: most of them started in yellow and then in the next levels changed to "all cyan", "all green", and so, but some of us only played the first levels, I assume.
Knowing the Speccy users at school who only ever indulged in football, football, football (yawn), I wonder if their CRTs were doing overtime with all the PAPER 4?
4thRock
Manic Miner

Post by 4thRock »

Yellow is a colour with a high Luminance (close to white) and low Chroma difference so it encodes well in PAL. Cyan is also good in this regard.
Other colors create more artifacts and lower resolution, as most of the information is on Chroma (colour difference) signals (red and blue being worse).

An image from the Wikipedia PAL article illustrates this:

In short, yellow simply looks better on RF or composite ;)
TMD2003
Rick Dangerous

Post by TMD2003 »

PeteProdge wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 8:44 pm The ZX Spectrum. Giving you both of the 4-colour palettes of a CGA-equipped PC from 1982 onwards.
Better still, without the washed-out pastel-shading caused by using #55 as the "low" level for the colours instead of #00.

You want Spectrum colours on a 1980s PC - you need EGA!

Strangely enough, CGA and EGA palettes are what I've spent far too much time fannying about with on the Next, which has 512 colours to choose from.
Spectribution: Dr. Jim's Sinclair computing pages.
Features my own programs, modified type-ins, RZXs, character sets & UDGs, and QL type-ins... so far!
equinox
Dynamite Dan

Post by equinox »

R-Tape wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 9:51 am

Oddly the archive for "yellow" brings up The Yellow Umbrella Shop. I was hoping it was the most niche bit of software for the most niche shop ever, but it looks like it was a charity shop that stocked more than just yellow umbrellas :(
Ah yes, I was given some old Spectrum kit in the mid-'90s by my dad's friend, and this was on one of the tapes. The author's name is fairly uncommon and I managed to track him down online and get permission to put it on WoS!
equinox
Dynamite Dan

Post by equinox »

+3code wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 11:04 am most of them started in yellow and then in the next levels changed to "all cyan", "all green", and so
Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis has a level that is all blue on black. Not cyan but blue! Nearly invisible on the typical fuzzy TV.