Long lost game

Y'know, other stuff, Sinclair related.
DoctorJools
Drutt

Long lost game

Post by DoctorJools »

I know this is a bit of a million-to-one shot, but did anyone here happen to be given, or pick up in a charity shop, a ZX Spectrum with a few books, tapes, etc. and a game called “Spectrix”?

I wrote it as a space invaders type of thing as a schoolboy – I must have spent hours and hours on it and, as I recall, it was actually pretty good if you like that sort of thing. But then I left home, went to university, got a job, got married etc. A few years ago, I was visiting my parents and was gobsmacked to be told by my mother that she’d “had a bit of a clearout” and had got rid of my Spectrum, the books … and the game I wrote!

That would have probably been in the 1990s in or around Birkenhead (near Liverpool).

I would love to be reunited with my old game! Thanks everyone.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Re: Long lost game

Post by R-Tape »

Sorry for your loss @DoctorJools
DoctorJools wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:01 am I know this is a bit of a million-to-one shot
Hopefully not. I'd like to think cassettes obtained from job lots or charity shops are increasingly likely to be investigated and preserved (rather than binned) so fingers crossed.

It could be fun trying to recreate it from memory? Coding has never been easier for the speccy!
cmal
Manic Miner

Post by cmal »

DoctorJools wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:01 am I would love to be reunited with my old game! Thanks everyone.
With the internet, recovery is way more likely than it would have been otherwise. Hopefully it's not sitting at the bottom of some landfill right now.
It would be an awesome thing to recover the game and preserve it on this site - along with a story of how the game was recovered.
spider
Dynamite Dan

Post by spider »

R-Tape wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:37 pm Sorry for your loss @DoctorJools

Hopefully not. I'd like to think cassettes obtained from job lots or charity shops are increasingly likely to be investigated and preserved (rather than binned) so fingers crossed.

It could be fun trying to recreate it from memory? Coding has never been easier for the speccy!
The only things I ever found (on one C15 tape) that were not my own creation/saves were a couple of saved 'Poke Listings' , but your point is hugely valid, I think there's still a lot to be unearthed. :)

In that old "games that were not" (or similar) for home brew, I posted a mock screenshot of my scrolly, using partial Laser Basic and other things, I do know (or as I recall) there was a bit more 'game' there than I first thought but that tape I cannot find, the only recollection I have of it was a plain white tape aka a recycled (dead?) game tape. I did unearth a couple of Boots C15's the other week although their contents I've not checked yet, they are my own tapes not things found. Best guess until I try likely listings from Sinclair Programs perhaps , or similar maybe ones I've typed in and modified. So long ago I can't recall :o :D

Spoiler
:snowman < too early ?
@DoctorJools I do hope something turns up for you in your case too. :)