New Upload & Edit Facility

Broken link? Feature request? Anything related to the Spectrum Computing website here.
druellan
Manic Miner

Re: New Upload & Edit Facility

Post by druellan » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:09 am

Interesting, seems that the URL needs the extra slash at the end (https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/edit/) otherwise it is invalid.
0 x
Un buen día me puse a probar juegos de ZX Spectrum a ciegas en Youtube, terminó siendo:
📺 Retroarqueología en Youtube

druellan
Manic Miner

Post by druellan » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:15 am

Also, I'm trying to upload a not-so-big file (7mb), and the upload fails with this error:

Seems that the editor resets, losing all editions.
0 x
Un buen día me puse a probar juegos de ZX Spectrum a ciegas en Youtube, terminó siendo:

R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:21 am

druellan wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:15 am
Also, I'm trying to upload a not-so-big file (7mb), and the upload fails with this error:

Seems that the editor resets, losing all editions.
Ah, sorry, that's probably over the upload filesize limit. @PeterJ what's it set to?

For the moment could we say don't upload Hi-Res inlays to via this form. They are handled differently (I don't fully understand it). For now could you make available elsewhere online and they'll be dealt with. Apologies for the vagueness; we need to get this side of things sorted.
0 x

druellan
Manic Miner

Post by druellan » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:23 am

Sorry, another suggestion. When you finish an edit, and you get this message:

A "New Edit" button there could be handy.
0 x

druellan
Manic Miner

Post by druellan » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:28 am

R-Tape wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:21 am
For the moment could we say don't upload Hi-Res inlays to via this form. They are handled differently (I don't fully understand it). For now could you make available elsewhere online and they'll be dealt with. Apologies for the vagueness; we need to get this side of things sorted.
Thanks! Yeah, I understand the idea is to have all that on Archive.org, but I think can be a good point to add an extra warning or just to display the max file size. This are PDFs, BTW, on a ZIP file, so, also in the future can be handy to have guidelines since the material can be very diverse.
0 x

PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ » Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:09 pm

Hi @druellan

I know it's not very prominent but above the upload button it does say 'File (max size: 2M)'

We should maybe put that in bold so it sticks out a bit more.

Peter
0 x

druellan
Manic Miner

Post by druellan » Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:13 pm

PeterJ wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:09 pm
Hi @druellan
I know it's not very prominent but above the upload button it does say 'File (max size: 2M)'
We should maybe put that in bold so it sticks out a bit more.
Oh! Completely missed that!
0 x

R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape » Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:53 pm

I just wanted to give my thoughts on the upload facility—generally I love it.

The best part is that I can easily keep track of, and get the files for new MIA, uMIA and new games.

It's terrible* for long lists of small corrections. I see a long list of separate entries that turn out to be a comment, and if there's more then it's easy to miss. For such things (like @druellan's list of vector graphics**), it's best to do them as a concise list in a forum comment, an email, or PM.

Also, if you're uploading a game ( @pavero @solaris104 @Ralf ), it'd be great if you could include screenshots. If it's not uMIA or a new entry, then you can also name them with the correct convention.

A last comment is that if you have a particularly interesting MIA/uMIA or new game, then it's often a good idea to mention it on the forum. That way people won't have to wait for the update, and we can enjoy it, or chat about the details.

*that's nothing to do with the form @Mike Davies, it's great.
**already done, don't resubmit :-)
1 x

PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ » Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:08 pm

All good points @R-Tape.

When the final couple of issues are addressed I will add a link to the editing page from the forum top menu.
0 x

druellan
Manic Miner

Post by druellan » Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:32 pm

R-Tape wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:53 pm
It's terrible* for long lists of small corrections. I see a long list of separate entries that turn out to be a comment, and if there's more then it's easy to miss. For such things (like @druellan's list of vector graphics**), it's best to do them as a concise list in a forum comment, an email, or PM.
Also, many of my fixes required removing of data, instead of additions or modifications, something the new system can't handle at all.
0 x