The Quest for the Staff of the First Moon

Whether it's Mire Mare or a BASIC tape you found in the attic, it needs to be preserved digitally. Post here and experts can help to do so.

Moderator: pavero

Andre Leao
Bugaboo

The Quest for the Staff of the First Moon

Post by Andre Leao »

A very old game found and preserved by his author...

https://planetasinclair.blogspot.com/20 ... -moon.html

PROCESSED
DH 08/02/24
druellan
Dynamite Dan

Re: The Quest for the Staff of the First Moon

Post by druellan »

Love how it instantly feels like a classic adventure game. Giving a try for sure!
Joefish
Rick Dangerous

Post by Joefish »

I heard the staff of the first moon all quit when they learned the staff of the second moon were getting paid more for shorter hours... :lol:
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

It's great to see these old attic recoveries :dance

Is anyone in touch with the author? I'd like to ask some questions if so.
Elegor
Drutt

Post by Elegor »

Hi, I'm the author of the game and would be more than happy to answer any questions you have!
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Welcome @Elegor! PM sent.
Andre Leao
Bugaboo

Post by Andre Leao »

Elegor wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 6:46 pm Hi, I'm the author of the game and would be more than happy to answer any questions you have!
If you send me the wav file (you can record the audio with Audacity), I can preerve a .tzx version. Does the game has a loading screen?
Elegor
Drutt

Post by Elegor »

Andre Leao wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:19 pm If you send me the wav file (you can record the audio with Audacity), I can preerve a .tzx version. Does the game has a loading screen?
I didn't create a .wav file - I loaded the tape directly into my Spectrum Next and then created a .z80 snapshot using the built-in NMI tools.

When I get time though, I'll see if I can record a .wav and then let you know.

There's no loading screen I'm afraid - I don't think that was an option in The Quill. And even if there was, it I don't think I'd have been able to create a worthwhile one back then :⁠-⁠)
Elegor
Drutt

Post by Elegor »

For anyone who might be interested, I've now added a .tzx version to the itch.io page.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Elegor wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 3:29 pm For anyone who might be interested, I've now added a .tzx version to the itch.io page.
Cheers - that's a 1Mb direct recording. Does anyone know how to convert that into a simple cleaned-up TZX? (I'm ashamed to say that after all these years... I still don't).

Here's the link to the itch page.
equinox
Dynamite Dan

Post by equinox »

Elegor wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 3:29 pm For anyone who might be interested, I've now added a .tzx version to the itch.io page.
Have you got the Quill source for your game?
Elegor
Drutt

Post by Elegor »

equinox wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 6:34 pm Have you got the Quill source for your game?
I'm still trying to recover it I'm afraid, but if I do manage it I'll upload it to my itch.io page.
Elegor
Drutt

Post by Elegor »

R-Tape wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 6:01 pm Cheers - that's a 1Mb direct recording. Does anyone know how to convert that into a simple cleaned-up TZX? (I'm ashamed to say that after all these years... I still don't).

Here's the link to the itch page.
Ah, I'm very new to these file formats, so I just assumed that was normal! I'll research it a bit more to see if I can improve it.
ParadigmShifter
Manic Miner

Post by ParadigmShifter »

Elegor wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 7:37 pm I'm still trying to recover it I'm afraid, but if I do manage it I'll upload it to my itch.io page.
Pretty sure there's a utility which can extract the Quill source from a compiled database? (Unquill rings a bell?). Maybe not if it also uses The Press compression thing though, dunno...
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Elegor wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 7:40 pm Ah, I'm very new to these file formats, so I just assumed that was normal! I'll research it a bit more to see if I can improve it.
Most TZX and TAP files are Speccy-sized (<40Kb in your case). I've managed to convert it into a WAV, but I can't find a WAV to TZX/TAP converter that works on a PC - can anyone advise?

I'm afraid I haven't got round to playing this properly yet, but it's on the list!
equinox
Dynamite Dan

Post by equinox »

ParadigmShifter wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 7:45 pm Pretty sure there's a utility which can extract the Quill source from a compiled database? (Unquill rings a bell?). Maybe not if it also uses The Press compression thing though, dunno...
Yes, UnQuill and other tools are here: https://www.seasip.info/Unix/UnQuill/
This may be the easiest route to create a "clean" tape file. I don't know if it would be 100% identical but I don't see why not.
Elegor
Drutt

Post by Elegor »

equinox wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 7:54 pm Yes, UnQuill and other tools are here: https://www.seasip.info/Unix/UnQuill/
This may be the easiest route to create a "clean" tape file. I don't know if it would be 100% identical but I don't see why not.
That's great, thanks for finding this out! I'll have a go at extracting the original data using it.
Andre Leao
Bugaboo

Post by Andre Leao »

Send me the .wav, I will convert it
8BitAG
Dynamite Dan

Post by 8BitAG »

UnQuill is more for extracting the game's database to a text file. I don't think it will do what people are suggesting it will. (I use UnQuill & UnPAWs all the time)

What do you have of the original game? Does it exist on tape? You could make a nice clean version of it by loading the game file back into the Quill and saving it out as a standalone adventure, but that's probably what you have anyway. The issue seems to be saving it as a proper TZX/TAP file.

If you've got a suitable wave file of the tape then it would be easy to turn it into a TZX. I can see André has volunteered to do this above.
8-bit Text Adventure Gamer - games - research.
Elegor
Drutt

Post by Elegor »

Okay, I'm learning a bit more about what is possible with the Spectrum Next (a lot!) and have now been able to add two .tap files to the itch.io page:

TQFTSOTFM.tap is a .tap version of the original game, which I think should be compatible with most emulators.

TSOTFM.tap is the actual game database. It is compatible with version A03 of The Quill.​ I've only been able to test it on the ZX Spectrum Next, loading it by setting the NMI tape input to be this file. I imagine similar functionality is available in emulators, but haven't tested it.
Supamax
Drutt

Post by Supamax »

R-Tape wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 6:01 pm Cheers - that's a 1Mb direct recording. Does anyone know how to convert that into a simple cleaned-up TZX?[/url]
Hi :),
here's the correctly interpreted .tzx file.
The content is different from the .tap file (I compared them with Tapir). They are slightly different releases, but I cannot tell which is more recent...

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/938fk6ga ... jowtf&dl=1
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Supamax wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:40 am here's the correctly interpreted .tzx file.
Cheers! Added
PROCESSED
DH 20/02/24