The best Speccy game by Software Supersavers: discussion

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

The best Speccy game by Software Supersavers: discussion

Post by PeteProdge »

It's a bit worrying when the USP and brand name of your label is focused on utter cheapness, isn't it?

Anyway, a mention of Ziggurat on page 86 of YS #19 brings this budget brand to my attention, and here are eight games they put out from the year 1984, all the way to the year... er... 1984:

Flip Flap
Fred's Fan Factory
Freex
Loony Lander
Moonlighter
Shuttle Shock
Super Chopper
Ziggurat

(Also, sticking a £2.99 price tag on your games doesn't quite make them the 'supersaver' when Mastertronic and others undercut by a quid.)

Anyways, if I've made any errors, alert me before next Sunday! Tara a bit.
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
Nick
Manic Miner

Re: The best Speccy game by Software Supersavers: discussion

Post by Nick »

spectrumcomputing.co.uk/entry/5010/ZX-S ... er_Chopper

According to the remarks entry, it seems that Super Chopper could be Ocean's unreleased version of Airwulf?
toot_toot
Manic Miner

Re: The best Speccy game by Software Supersavers: discussion

Post by toot_toot »

They were the budget label of Software Projects and used the same cover illustrator (Roger Tissyman), although the covers for these felt a bit more rushed than the likes of Jet Set Willy! Still, probably good for a collection as all the covers followed a format.

I haven’t played that many games by them, so I’ll give them a try. I do remember when they came out and they were one of the few budget publishers in 1984. Mastertronic was the famous one, I think Firebird had also started by this point but for some reason I remember Virgin’s games being cheap, my friend picking up Quetzalcoatl for a couple quid. But maybe that was just the newsagent selling them cheap!