"Alfa Een" Afrikaans adventure game

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
mydoghasworms
Drutt

"Alfa Een" Afrikaans adventure game

Post by mydoghasworms »

This is probably a long shot, but I am looking for anyone with knowledge of an adventure game that was written in Afrikaans called "Alfa Een" (Alpha One) - not to be confused with the Portuguese game "Alfa 1".

The only reference I can still find online to this game is in a page of an archived publication that used to come out in South Africa (ZX Mushroom Club) from April 1987:

https://archive.org/details/zx-mushroom ... 5/mode/2up

From what I remember it was actually pretty good (alternate font, some nice pictures) but I never managed to finish it.
Morkin
Bugaboo

Re: "Alfa Een" Afrikaans adventure game

Post by Morkin »

Wow, that must be one of the more obscure titles I've seen mentioned round these parts.

Any idea roughly how many copies might have been made/sold?

No idea about the game I'm afraid but good luck with the search - this possibly beats the search for that decades-long obscure Finnish Golf game (that was found eventually) in obscurity terms. Never give up hope though, it might randomly turn up..! :)

Hope your dog gets better
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

South Africa, you say? Well, you put the difficulty bar really high :) I guess it could never reach other parts of the world.

Is there any retro community in South Africa? I've never heard about it. But you should probably start with them if they exist.
TMD2003
Rick Dangerous

Post by TMD2003 »

Eish! Maybe you can tempt it out of hiding with bait made of boerewors.

Might be worth asking any Dutch-speaking Spectrumheads as well...? I'm sure they'd be able to understand the text.
Spectribution: Dr. Jim's Sinclair computing pages.
Features my own programs, modified type-ins, RZXs, character sets & UDGs, and QL type-ins... so far!
ParadigmShifter
Manic Miner

Post by ParadigmShifter »

SJOE! ;)

A great word in Scrabble. I translated it as "crikey" since CUSS mode is off by default.

I also considered WAQF and MZEE for the name of my game but SJOE won since it's easier to pronounce (like "shoe" I believe).

SJOE is more useful in Scrabble than those other 2 since JO and JOE are valid words and it's got an S in it so it is easy to connect to other words.

Probably need someone Greek to explain pronunciation of EUOI though...
cmal
Manic Miner

Post by cmal »

TMD2003 wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:23 pm Eish! Maybe you can tempt it out of hiding with bait made of boerewors.
Biltong also makes good bait for South Africans!
My early Speccy days were in South Africa but I’ve never run into that title. I do recall the ZX Mushroom club. I think one of my Speccy friends was part of the club.
8BitAG
Dynamite Dan

Post by 8BitAG »

This would be the very first (text?) adventure I've heard about written in Afrikaans, so hopefully it can be found eventually. I've only previously come across games from South African that were written in English.
8-bit Text Adventure Gamer - games - research.
mydoghasworms
Drutt

Post by mydoghasworms »

Thanks for all the replies. I've done some searching but I cannot find anything resembling a ZX Spectrum enthusiast club in South Africa. It's possible that all former ZX Spectrum owners in South Africa have emigrated (ha ha).

Also tried reaching out to a guy on Facebook (stalkish, I know) who has the name and seems to fit the profile of the guy who ran the Mushroom Club but so far no reply.

Unfortunately I remember precious little else about the game itself. It was an illustrated adventure game and surprisingly enjoyable (but then, I was a kid, perhaps it would be awful now).
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ralf »

Well, good luck with your quest!
I've checked it now and actually Google returns some possibly useful links about retro stuff in South Africa (not necessarily Spectrum). Maybe you'll find something useful there???

https://www.google.com/search?client=fi ... uters#ip=1