Who do you buy your spare parts from

Y'know, other stuff, Sinclair related.
Adrian45
Drutt

Who do you buy your spare parts from

Post by Adrian45 »

Hi Folks.

Just got my first spectrum working here in Ireland thanks to the great help from great people on this forum.

My 48k needs a complete overhaul - caps , power , membrane etc etc , even the screws are missing.

Just spent 20 min on Retroleum.co.uk , 16 items in my basket , went to pay and they only take paypal.

I dont use paypal.

They say that you can pay through paypal with a credit card if you log in as guest but I just cant see that option on my screen - I changed the flag to Ireland hoping that would give me the 'pay as guest' option but no luck. Anyone familiar with this ?

Ive been told going political on here is a big no no but if i was to order everything seperately on ebay i would be hit with 20 euro ( shipping and import charges) on every item i order from UK , and everything i need is in the UK ...... total stupidity ...... thanks EU !!!

Just wondering if anyone knows any other good supplier in the UK that accepts credit card payment
EdToo
Manic Miner

Re: Who do you buy your spare parts from

Post by EdToo »

You are in Southern Ireland I guess. Retroleum have been good for my purchases, but I'm based in UK. Would somewhere like https://www.micomputer.es work better for you?
Adrian45
Drutt

Post by Adrian45 »

Thanks for that edtoo

Had a look but they only have some of the stuff - its only UK companies fit the bill , UK is where the home computer revolution began and thats where the support is

ill keep looking - must be a company in UK that have all the parts that take credit card
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Hi @Adrian45,

I've never had any issues paying with credit cards on a PayPal site without needing to login.

Can I suggest contacting Phil at Retroleum. I'm sure he would talk you through it.

Peter
dfzx
Manic Miner

Post by dfzx »

Adrian45 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:05 pm They say that you can pay through paypal with a credit card if you log in as guest but I just cant see that option on my screen
I'm pretty sure it means logging into Paypal as a guest. i.e. you don't need a Paypal account.

So make your order at Retroleum, click to pay via Paypal, when the Paypal window pops up enter you email address and follow the options to make a credit card payment without logging in to Paypal. Retroleum are effectively using Paypal as a credit card service provider, it's a quite a common thing to do and I've used it with no problem.
Derek Fountain, author of the ZX Spectrum C Programmer's Getting Started Guide and various open source games, hardware and other projects, including an IF1 and ZX Microdrive emulator.
Adrian45
Drutt

Post by Adrian45 »

Ok Dfzx -

Ill try that - I was looking for a button "pay as guest" to click on

would be so much easier than buying everything seperately

Thanks folks
Adrian45
Drutt

Post by Adrian45 »

old age is getting to me !!!

yep - just put in an email and sure enough you can pay with a card , no paypal account needed

order in

good to know

Thanks again people.
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Post by 1024MAK »

Adrian45 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:05 pm Just spent 20 min on Retroleum.co.uk , 16 items in my basket , went to pay and they only take paypal.
Have you tried contacting the site owner to ask about paying by credit card. He is normally very helpful.

Mark
:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :dance
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
Adrian45
Drutt

Post by Adrian45 »

I got sorted Mark - As the lads told me above , you dont need a paypal a/c , just put in an email address and you can pay with credit card - Lots of goddies on the way , caps , diodes , transistors , switching volt regulator , 4164's , even rubber feet ....... spectrum gonna get a new lease of life ........ the original membrane gave up the ghost on me ( knew it would , every time i opened it up the 2 ribbon cables were looking worse and worse ) - so just have wait - great stuff people