Questions about aliases table

This is the place for general discussion and updates about the ZXDB Database. This forum is not specific to Spectrum Computing.

Moderator: druellan

martingzzz
Drutt

Questions about aliases table

Post by martingzzz »

1) aliases contains a column `release_seq`. Should this sequence be called `alias_seq` instead?

2) The values in this sequence seem odd sometimes. For example, some entries have many records with sequence 0. (see entry_id 9292)
I expected (entry_id, release_seq) to be unique. Is my assumption correct? If so, maybe we can fix the data and add a unique constraint on the table?

EDIT: or maybe I mis-understood what aliases is, and it really is aliases that relate to a particular release?
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Re: Questions about aliases table

Post by Einar Saukas »

Yes, aliases relate to a particular release.

For instance, the original release of this game (by Entertainment USA) is called "Bump, Set, Spike!" (that's how it appears in the game inlay). This original release is also called "International Volleyball" (that's how it appears in-game) and "Double Volleyball" (that's how it appeared in the Your Sinclair review). Therefore this game is stored with title "Bump, Set, Spike!", but it also has 2 aliases with release_seq=0 (i.e the original release) for "International Volleyball" and "Double Volleyball". If you visit this page, you will see both aliases near the top under the title.

Another example, the 2nd Spanish re-release of this program (by OCP) was sold under 2 new titles: "Adress Manager" (with a single "d") and "Gestion de Fichier". Therefore this program has 2 aliases with release_seq=2 (i.e 2nd re-release). If you visit this page you will see these aliases as "alternate title" under section RELEASES.