Celeste Classic remake for Spectrum Next

The Speccy's spritely young offspring. Discuss everything from FPGA to ZX
dcrespo3d
Drutt

Celeste Classic remake for Spectrum Next

Post by dcrespo3d »

Hi, I have published a Spectrum Next remake of Celeste Classic (the Pico-8 iconic platformer). You can download it for free from this link:

https://davidprograma.itch.io/celeste

I've tried to make an accurate recreation and I think I've succeeded, it's as fun (and difficult) as the original.

It's best played with a controller; and although I've always been a keyboard guy, this time I prefer an old Megadrive gamepad with its super-precise diagonals.

I hope you enjoy it!!! :dance
DavidPrograma on YouTube, GitHub
stupidget
Dynamite Dan

Re: Celeste Classic remake for Spectrum Next

Post by stupidget »

This looks excellent. This original is a great game and looks like a brilliant remake.
dcrespo3d
Drutt

Post by dcrespo3d »

Hello, I have published the source code for my Spectrum Next port of Celeste Classic:

https://github.com/dcrespo3d/CelesteNext
clebin
Manic Miner

Post by clebin »

dcrespo3d wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 5:25 pm Hi, I have published a Spectrum Next remake of Celeste Classic (the Pico-8 iconic platformer). You can download it for free from this link:

https://davidprograma.itch.io/celeste

I've tried to make an accurate recreation and I think I've succeeded, it's as fun (and difficult) as the original.

It's best played with a controller; and although I've always been a keyboard guy, this time I prefer an old Megadrive gamepad with its super-precise diagonals.

I hope you enjoy it!!! :dance
This is brilliant work. Thanks for releasing the source code as well!

I spent an embarrassing amount of time on the first screen before I realised I could "dash' upwards as well as across, and a little while longer before realising how to use the balloons. You absolutely need that second fire button at easy reach. I'm using Interface II keys (67890) + Space which I find works well without needing a controller. Lovely to play a PICO-8 game on "real" hardware.
arjun
Microbot

Post by arjun »

Great job! Celeste is such a wonderful game. It can't have been easy porting to the Next! Unfortunately, I don't own a Next so can't actually check it out but I appreciate the effort just the same.
dcrespo3d
Drutt

Post by dcrespo3d »

clebin wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:03 am This is brilliant work. Thanks for releasing the source code as well!
I spent an embarrassing amount of time on the first screen before I realised I could "dash' upwards as well as across, and a little while longer before realising how to use the balloons. You absolutely need that second fire button at easy reach. I'm using Interface II keys (67890) + Space which I find works well without needing a controller. Lovely to play a PICO-8 game on "real" hardware.
Back in the day I always played games on my Speccy with keyboard, typically QAOPspc or QAZXC. But in this game, with its heavy use of jump/dash I find it difficult to use one hand for dash and other for jump... I prefer a more "modern" approach of one hand for movement, and other hand for jump/dash, as the default keys are set (IKJL for movement, ZX for jump/dash). I also like WSAD movement, NM jump/dash.

Thanks for playing!!!
dcrespo3d
Drutt

Post by dcrespo3d »

arjun wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:11 pm Great job! Celeste is such a wonderful game. It can't have been easy porting to the Next! Unfortunately, I don't own a Next so can't actually check it out but I appreciate the effort just the same.
You're right, It wasn't an easy port due to having to use 16 bit fixed point (8.8) for physics calculations. The original Pico-8 version uses lua and floating point arithmetic, I had to do a lot of testing to ensure the behaviour (height reach, horizontal jump distance, etc) was the same.
jamesh
Dizzy

Post by jamesh »

dcrespo3d wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 1:29 pm I have published the source code for my Spectrum Next port of Celeste Classic:
First of all, thank you very much for sharing the source code. It is invaluable learning resource for a beginner like me :) Second, thank you very much for sharing the actually "working" source code. This week I am playing the copy I compiled myself. Third, thank you very much for porting the game!