The latest ZXDB update will be applied this evening at 1800 BST. The update takes around 30 minutes, and the site goes down whilst this happens.

Celeste Classic remake for Spectrum Next

The Speccy's spritely young offspring. Discuss everything from FPGA to ZX
dcrespo3d
Drutt

Celeste Classic remake for Spectrum Next

Post by dcrespo3d »

Hi, I have published a Spectrum Next remake of Celeste Classic (the Pico-8 iconic platformer). You can download it for free from this link:

https://davidprograma.itch.io/celeste

I've tried to make an accurate recreation and I think I've succeeded, it's as fun (and difficult) as the original.

It's best played with a controller; and although I've always been a keyboard guy, this time I prefer an old Megadrive gamepad with its super-precise diagonals.

I hope you enjoy it!!! :dance
DavidPrograma on YouTube, GitHub
stupidget
Dynamite Dan

Re: Celeste Classic remake for Spectrum Next

Post by stupidget »

This looks excellent. This original is a great game and looks like a brilliant remake.
dcrespo3d
Drutt

Post by dcrespo3d »

Hello, I have published the source code for my Spectrum Next port of Celeste Classic:

https://github.com/dcrespo3d/CelesteNext
clebin
Manic Miner

Post by clebin »

dcrespo3d wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 5:25 pm Hi, I have published a Spectrum Next remake of Celeste Classic (the Pico-8 iconic platformer). You can download it for free from this link:

https://davidprograma.itch.io/celeste

I've tried to make an accurate recreation and I think I've succeeded, it's as fun (and difficult) as the original.

It's best played with a controller; and although I've always been a keyboard guy, this time I prefer an old Megadrive gamepad with its super-precise diagonals.

I hope you enjoy it!!! :dance
This is brilliant work. Thanks for releasing the source code as well!

I spent an embarrassing amount of time on the first screen before I realised I could "dash' upwards as well as across, and a little while longer before realising how to use the balloons. You absolutely need that second fire button at easy reach. I'm using Interface II keys (67890) + Space which I find works well without needing a controller. Lovely to play a PICO-8 game on "real" hardware.
arjun
Microbot

Post by arjun »

Great job! Celeste is such a wonderful game. It can't have been easy porting to the Next! Unfortunately, I don't own a Next so can't actually check it out but I appreciate the effort just the same.
dcrespo3d
Drutt

Post by dcrespo3d »

clebin wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:03 am This is brilliant work. Thanks for releasing the source code as well!
I spent an embarrassing amount of time on the first screen before I realised I could "dash' upwards as well as across, and a little while longer before realising how to use the balloons. You absolutely need that second fire button at easy reach. I'm using Interface II keys (67890) + Space which I find works well without needing a controller. Lovely to play a PICO-8 game on "real" hardware.
Back in the day I always played games on my Speccy with keyboard, typically QAOPspc or QAZXC. But in this game, with its heavy use of jump/dash I find it difficult to use one hand for dash and other for jump... I prefer a more "modern" approach of one hand for movement, and other hand for jump/dash, as the default keys are set (IKJL for movement, ZX for jump/dash). I also like WSAD movement, NM jump/dash.

Thanks for playing!!!
dcrespo3d
Drutt

Post by dcrespo3d »

arjun wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:11 pm Great job! Celeste is such a wonderful game. It can't have been easy porting to the Next! Unfortunately, I don't own a Next so can't actually check it out but I appreciate the effort just the same.
You're right, It wasn't an easy port due to having to use 16 bit fixed point (8.8) for physics calculations. The original Pico-8 version uses lua and floating point arithmetic, I had to do a lot of testing to ensure the behaviour (height reach, horizontal jump distance, etc) was the same.
jamesh
Dizzy

Post by jamesh »

dcrespo3d wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 1:29 pm I have published the source code for my Spectrum Next port of Celeste Classic:
First of all, thank you very much for sharing the source code. It is invaluable learning resource for a beginner like me :) Second, thank you very much for sharing the actually "working" source code. This week I am playing the copy I compiled myself. Third, thank you very much for porting the game!