Diagnosing strange 'black screen' video issue

For experts to discuss very technical stuff and newbies to ask why the Spectrum they bought off ebay doesn't work.
Snipey
Drutt

Diagnosing strange 'black screen' video issue

Post by Snipey »

Hello,

Firstly, let me introduce myself:
I am of the age that I bought a brand new ZX-Spectrum with my hard-earned first pocket money back in the 1980s.
Countless hours of playing games and writing BASIC programs followed.
After about 40 years I found this ZX-Spectrum in the attic and decided to make it work again. My intention is to keep it as original as possible.

My Speccy is an Issue3 - 48K. Only IC1 (ULA) is socket-ed.

So far, I have executed the following works:
- replaced the keyboard membrane & put an insulating tape over the RF-convertor,
- recapped the axial capacitors (btw: the old ones measured still OK)
- performed the Composite mod. (with the capacitor)
- after the Composite mod, I replaced TR1 & TR2 with BC549C's (rotated) in order to enhance the contrast and brightness
- measured resistance/continuities and the various power-voltages, which are all fine
- tested the ZX-Spectrum functionally OK.

Now all is well, apart from a strange video problem. I've done some research but couldn't find this particular issue let alone the solution.

The problem is as follows:
- when I turn on the Spectrum it works fine. All functions work well.
- after a while (varies between 30s to up to 15min) there are stutters and flashes on the screen
- and a little (seconds to minutes) later the image 'dims' ; the background and border gradually turn black (within 5 - 15 seconds) until it is completely black. And if I let it go even longer, eventually the video-convertor gives up and stops giving video signal.
- strangely enough, occasionally it suddenly recovers to its normal video state, but eventually it always ends up in the 'black screen' state.
- in the mean time, the Spectrum remains fully functional, even after the screen is black
- After the Spectrum has been powered-down (sometimes more than an hour), it has recovered to normal operation

I have done quite some measurements with a multimeter and an oscilloscoop. In the 'dark state' all signals appear to be OK as far as I have measured, apart from one: the signal on the base of TR2 - originating from IC14 - pin 13 appears to be the guilty party: in the 'dark' state this signal is a (almost) flat 4.25V signal, while in the normal working state it gives a nice waveform.
The attached screenshot shows the signal at the base of TR1 (yellow) and the base of TR2 (red), in the 'black screen situation'.

This leads me to suspect that IC14 may be defective.

However, since I do not yet have a replacement and prefer to do as little soldering as possible, my question is if my diagnoses appears to be OK? Or may there be other possible causes and if so, which other tests/measurements could I perform in order to check these?

Many thanks in advance for your thoughts...
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Re: Diagnosing strange 'black screen' video issue

Post by 1024MAK »

Hello Snipey and welcome :D

Question, was this failure mode present before you started work on this board. Specificity, before you renewed TR1, TR2 and the axial electrolytic capacitors.
Snipey wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 5:34 pm - in the mean time, the Spectrum remains fully functional, even after the screen is black
Can you please expand on this. Do you mean that BASIC / programs / games continue to run? The bleeper works etc.?

Are you sure that in your 'scope image, TR1 base is the yellow trace and TR2 base is the red trace?

Can you please record the DC voltages at the following points before the symptoms start, then during the black screen fault condition:

IC1 ULA
Pin 13
Pin 14
Pin 15
Pin 16
Pin 17

IC14 LM1889
Pin 14

TR1 base
TR1 collector

TR2 base
TR2 collector
TR2 emitter

Also it's useful to use you 'scope to monitor IC1 ULA pin 17

IC14 - pin 13 only supplies the colour encoded sub-carrier. It does not supply the sync aignals or the grey scale monochome signal. To prove that IC14 is not the cause, disconnect one end of C65. The computer will then only produce a grey scale picture.

See if the screen still fades to black.

What is the type/part number of the ULA that is fitted?

Can you please post a photo of both sides (top/component side and bottom/underside) of the board.

Mark
:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :dance
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
Snipey
Drutt

Post by Snipey »

Hello Mark,

Thank you for the quick reply.
1024MAK wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 7:14 pm Question, was this failure mode present before you started work on this board. Specificity, before you renewed TR1, TR2 and the axial electrolytic capacitors.
Honestly, I do not know. Before and during the work, I have only switched it on for short periods of time. The problem may have been present but not seen.
1024MAK wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 7:14 pm Can you please expand on this. Do you mean that BASIC / programs / games continue to run? The bleeper works etc.?
It is indeed as you describe. As a matter of fact, I was playing a game when I experienced this issue for the first time. The screen went black but the sound of the game continued. Keyboard clicks can be heard when the Spec is in this fault.
1024MAK wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 7:14 pm Are you sure that in your 'scope image, TR1 base is the yellow trace and TR2 base is the red trace?
Yes I am sure. For comparison, I have re-created the exact same measurement and made an additional scope image in the normal working mode:
CH1 = yellow = base TR1
CH2 = red = base TR2

The normal working mode: Image
The faulty dark mode: Image
1024MAK wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 7:14 pm Can you please record the DC voltages at the following points before the symptoms start, then during the black screen fault condition:
pin - before - after
IC1 ULA
Pin 13 - 3,521 - 3,540
Pin 14 - 5,014 - 5,018
Pin 15 - 2,231 - 2,240
Pin 16 - 2,000 - 2,009
Pin 17 - 1,858 - 1,865

IC14 LM1889
Pin 14 - 11,70 - 11,70

TR1
TR1 base - 1,744 - 1,744
TR1 coll. - 3,745 - 4,782
TR1 emit. - 1,117 - 2,578

TR2
TR2 base - 3,746 - 4,782
TR2 coll. - 4,882 - 4,835
TR2 emit. - 3,098 - 4,093
1024MAK wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 7:14 pm Also it's useful to use you 'scope to monitor IC1 ULA pin 17
Here it is; it remains the same in the working and non-working mode:
ImageImage
1024MAK wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 7:14 pm To prove that IC14 is not the cause, disconnect one end of C65.
This was interesting. I disconnected C65; the problem remained.
To be sure I also disconnected R72 which leaves Pin 13 of IC14 completely disconnected according to the schematics. Result; the problem remained. So I guess that this proves that IC14, at least pin13, is NOT the problem, right?

The ULA is a type 6C001E-6

Pictures of the board:

Image Image
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Post by 1024MAK »

So, from what I can tell, IC1, the ULA and IC14, the LM1889 are okay.

The problem appears to be TR1, R52 or the components or PCB tracks in this part of the circuit.

Mark
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :dance
Snipey
Drutt

Post by Snipey »

So I replaced TR1 and the problem is gone. Still a bit puzzled how a new transistor got defective so quickly, I hope that my own carelessness has caused it somehow. But so far so good.

Many thanks for the tips which saved me the time and effort to replace IC14.

P.s. it was rather impressive to see how much sharper and noise-less the mono-chrome-only signal was.
And there is quite some dot-crawl in some color-combinations. But there is not so much what can be done about this, right? Apart from using an additional interface... Or is there?
How likely is it that replacing IC14 may bring significant improvements?

Next job: make my old Opus Discovery work again...
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Post by 1024MAK »

Replacing IC14 is unlikely to make much, if any difference to the dot-crawl. The real problem is a design limitation. The 16K/48K/+ uses two different oscillators to produce the pixel clock and the colour sub-carrier/encoder. Hence they are not locked to each other. That's the problem (well, the main problem).

The fix is to either obtain a 128K/+2/+2A/+3 machine. Or modify a 16K/48K/+ board with a S-Video module. You do then need a TV that supports S-Video (these are becoming increasingly rare).

Mark
“There are four lights!”
Snipey
Drutt

Post by Snipey »

Hello Mark,

Although I am curious how it will look like after such S-video mod, I think I'll leave it as it is this moment. After all, my objective was to restore this Spec in working condition as much as possible in original state.