New Zealand Speccy (not the New Zealand Story)

Y'know, other stuff, Sinclair related.
equinox
Dynamite Dan

New Zealand Speccy (not the New Zealand Story)

Post by equinox »

Following on from here:
viewtopic.php?t=11010&start=30
and quoting my private message to @Stefan which I decided might be worth a thread instead (also, hi @TakuikaNinja ) -- not sure if I'm doing the name tagging correctly.
Interesting to see your post with evidence of the elusive NZ Speccy scene!

Re distribution: New Generation and J K Greye were both (I think) better known for ZX81 stuff, so that would be very early Spectrum days. When you said "briefcase full of wares" I suddenly had a vivid flashback of a briefcase full of ZX81 games that I purchased very cheaply at a car-boot sale circa 1995... but my second-hand ZX81 never worked (knackered keyboard -- and I have no electronics skills) so I didn't get to play 'em.

What was the Manukau "Sinclair club" like? Did people bring their own machines and plug them in?

Also... laughed at the unusable $100... the curse of the gift card... I've heard these tales before
I would be particularly interested to hear about any software made in NZ at that time. Again I'm sure I've never seen any. (Is there an archive search for "country of origin"? Might be a bit of a grey area sometimes, e.g. demoscene works by an international team.)
PeterJ
Site Admin

Re: New Zealand Speccy (not the New Zealand Story)

Post by PeterJ »

@equinox,

On the advanced search on the homepage there is 'Country'. Brings back three results. If there any any others please report to Einar. Thanks
equinox
Dynamite Dan

Post by equinox »

PeterJ wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:53 pm @equinox,

On the advanced search on the homepage there is 'Country'. Brings back three results. If there any any others please report to Einar. Thanks
Thanks. But I note that those results are all very modern productions: from 2006, 2007, and 2020, i.e. some Internet collaboration may very well have been involved.
(Hmm, it would be nice if the search results pages were linkable URLs, but it's HTTP POST, so not.)
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

@equinox,

When the forum first started I posted some instructions on how to copy links to search results. I will try and find it.
equinox
Dynamite Dan

Post by equinox »

PeterJ wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:27 pm @equinox,

When the forum first started I posted some instructions on how to copy links to search results. I will try and find it.
Just do it with HTTP GET instead of POST. Then the results page will be like results.php?name=Jet+Set+Willy&year=1984
And put the meta tags to tell search engines not to harvest those pages.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

I'm not changing it, but will find the notes for anyone interested.
djnzx48
Manic Miner

Post by djnzx48 »

PeterJ wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:27 pm @equinox,

I guess it was this post? viewtopic.php?p=9980#p9980
PeterJ
Site Admin

Post by PeterJ »

Thank you @djnzx48
Stefan
Manic Miner

Post by Stefan »

equinox wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:32 pm Following on from here:
viewtopic.php?t=11010&start=30
and quoting my private message to @Stefan which I decided might be worth a thread instead (also, hi @TakuikaNinja ) -- not sure if I'm doing the name tagging correctly.

I would be particularly interested to hear about any software made in NZ at that time. Again I'm sure I've never seen any. (Is there an archive search for "country of origin"? Might be a bit of a grey area sometimes, e.g. demoscene works by an international team.)
Well, my friend's dad did start with the ZX81 - 3D Monster Maze, UFO and the BBC B - Monsters. His suitcase also (at various points in time) had:

- Manic Miner (Bug Byte)
- Wheelie
- Travel's with Trashman
- Everyone's A Wally

and then my memory said that's enough.

For the ZX81 releases he was sent a master tape and inlays from the UK, he would spend weekends duplicating the master (he was a painter by trade).

I went to the Manukau(?) meet a few times, it was a community hall / school class room type of affair where there was a small group (10-20? people) with their Spectrums set up.

Later when I migrated back to The Netherlands there was a general computer club in 's-Hertogenbosch in a BIG hall with what seemed like hundreds of mostly Amigas / Atari STs / MSXes and me with my lone Speccy. I wrote in to Crash Tech Niche how I could amplify the sound of my beeper to get Trantor's tune above the blaring Amigas.