Recap Problem.

For experts to discuss very technical stuff and newbies to ask why the Spectrum they bought off ebay doesn't work.
Adrian45
Drutt

Recap Problem.

Post by Adrian45 »

Hi Folks.

Got my box of goddies from retolium and recapping my 48K issue 4a

My first spectrum recap.

All going good until I got to this cap ( yellow box in picture , just under the 2 new caps up by the power jack )

The cap i removed was a 1uf 50 volt - When I removed it , on the board it says d18 ( think its D18 )

Anyway I installed the new 1UF with the same polarity ( + to the right) and now my machine wont work !!

removed this cap , still wont work

Had 7 caps replaces until this happened

I have carefully checked the board and traces and cant see any mistake I could have made - i cant see any shorts

The cap i removed from here had its legs bent down and back in , under the cap a bit , as the holes are not far enough apart for this cap to fit in here.

lost here !!

Adrian45
Drutt

Re: Recap Problem.

Post by Adrian45 »

Got it sorted people.

The smallest flake of solder I have ever seen from one of the holes to a trace

New cap is in place and machine working again

4 or 5 more to go
1024MAK
Bugaboo

Post by 1024MAK »

Beware, the thinnest hair width solder splash can cause utter chaos... :twisted:

Mark
:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :dance
Looking forward to summer later in the year.
dfzx
Manic Miner

Post by dfzx »

You wait until you get tin whiskers. Then you'll be puzzled. :lol:
Derek Fountain, author of the ZX Spectrum C Programmer's Getting Started Guide and various open source games, hardware and other projects, including an IF1 and ZX Microdrive emulator.
oO cozy Oo
Manic Miner

Post by oO cozy Oo »

dfzx wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:01 am You wait until you get tin whiskers. Then you'll be puzzled. :lol:
My cat likes tin whiskers :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Glad you got it sorted, its a pain when this happens..
Be Safe! Be Happy! and have some Speccy FUN!!!
Adrian45
Drutt

Post by Adrian45 »

Just to report back on the outcome - Got the little machine running 100% - IC 19 replaced ( thanks Mark ) , new switching 5 volt regulator , caps , membrane , feet

retrolium does a mighty fine job - hats off to that man

Really having fun loading up the memories from 40 years ago - amazed at how addictive 'death chase' still is - even her good self had a try

'highway encounter' - one of the very few games i ever completed - i remember being almost angry when first hearing that people were completing jet set willy ......... without loosing 1 life !!!!......... never came even close to completing that game either - who cares !!!!...... was all good fun back in the day

Big thank you from backward EU Ireland !!!

Is there a place on here to ask about software , like how in hell these guys wrote these games , the actual code , how they 'stored all the different screens in memory' sort of thing........... ive been truly fascinated as to how they managed to achieve such feats within their code , for decades. I had an Oric Atmos back then , 14 years old learning 6502 assembly from the one book that came with it , no internet and nobody to ask for help , advice - software for the oric was pityfull and i struggled on with it , all the time watching the zx spectrum explode with software - then one day I saw jet set bloody willy ........ blew my mind !!!!! - all those screens - to this day in my 50's im still asking " How did smith store all the screen data within 48K along with the game data and sound data "

cheers people