Retroarcadia article about Amaurote on the Spectrum

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
Turtle_Quality
Manic Miner

Retroarcadia article about Amaurote on the Spectrum

Post by Turtle_Quality »

Takes a while to get to the point but interesting read. I didn't really understand what was going on when I played this back in the day, but I remember the in-game 128K music was so spooky and atmospheric ; the first time I heard in-game music that really worked like a film soundtrack

https://retroarcadia.blog/2024/02/21/re ... -spectrum/
Definition of loop : see loop
SteveSmith
Manic Miner

Re: Retroarcadia article about Amaurote on the Spectrum

Post by SteveSmith »

For those that haven't seen it, Rose Tinted Spectrum did a good video about Amaurote recently.

blucey
Manic Miner

Post by blucey »

Good to see this game get some hate. It was absolute cack.
toot_toot
Manic Miner

Post by toot_toot »

I thought this was great for its time, especially considering it was a budget release.

But it could definitely have done with some improvements. Something even simple like press the fire button to launch the bomb and then press it again to detonate it, which would have got round the issue of having to wait for the ball to eventually hit something off screen before being able to launch another bomb.

Would it be possible to add this as a poke?

I also thought there was an enhanced version of this with other enhancements, but maybe I’m wrong.
Woodster
Drutt

Post by Woodster »

toot_toot wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 6:44 pm Would it be possible to add this as a poke?
POKE 40605, 175 seems to let you keep launching a new bomb again but I haven't tested it a great deal. No idea if it works with the superbomb too.

Edit: Never mind, seems like it doesn't always work!
Timmy
Manic Miner

Post by Timmy »

Well, I remember playing it, and likely finishing it too. Probably with a poke, but that's because I was a bit lazy.

I guess when you're young and have all the time in the world for just one game, you can learn some easy tricks for it.

One is that, while it's true that there can only one bullet at a time, you can make sure that bullet dies very quickly, so that you don't wait all the time. You'll have to figure that trick if you want to finish the game in a reasonable time anyway.

Secondly, if you played long enough, you can pretty well guess how many sqaures it needs until it hits the ground and the insects, and after that you can almost always just hit those nasties every single time. Not always though, so you still need to make sure those bullets die quickly.

If you mastered those skills, then all you need is just patience to finish all those levels. All the levels play the same though, so I kinda got bored at some point.

But those are advance playing tips and I agree people playing this in 2024 won't get it. :)
Matt_B
Manic Miner

Post by Matt_B »

I'd also point out that most of the bugs move quite predictably, so are easy to take out once you've got good at anticipating where the bombs will land. There are only a few on each level that flutter around randomly and they can be left until you've dealt with the others.
Vampyre
Manic Miner

Post by Vampyre »

Did I imagine this? In the 128K version I'm sure if you took the Supabomb to the fence surrounding the area and fired it into the fence it would kill the queen.

The guy in the video is right about the mopping up of the flies after killing the queen. Super-boring.
ZX Spectrum Reviews REST API: http://zxspectrumreviews.co.uk/
Woodster
Drutt

Post by Woodster »

toot_toot wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 6:44 pm Would it be possible to add this as a poke?
POKE 38542,175 = can relaunch bomb
POKE 38552,0 = infinite bombs

Tested on AmauroteV1.0.tzx.zip from https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/entry/1 ... m/Amaurote