Ubuntu Fuse: Full Screen Issues

Struggling with Fuse or trying to find an emulator with a specific feature. Ask your questions here.
GreenCard
Dynamite Dan

Ubuntu Fuse: Full Screen Issues

Post by GreenCard »

Hi everyone!

Does anyone here use Fuse in Ubuntu, by any chance? If so, how do I make it full screen without stretching the image? I've had it set up in Ubuntu before and managed to get it go full screen whilst still keeping the correct aspect ratio, but I cannot for the life of me seem to do it now.
PeterJ
Site Admin

Re: Ubuntu Fuse: Full Screen Issues

Post by PeterJ »

Evening @GreenCard,

Nice to have another Linux User!

From memory there are two versions in the Ubuntu repositories. Gtk and SDL. The SDL version is full screen only and I believe it shows the correct perspective.

https://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keyw ... ulator-sdl
GreenCard
Dynamite Dan

Post by GreenCard »

PeterJ wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:05 pm Evening @GreenCard,

Nice to have another Linux User!

From memory there are two versions in the Ubuntu repositories. Gtk and SDL. The SDL version is full screen only and I believe it shows the correct perspective.

https://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keyw ... ulator-sdl
I wouldn't really call myself a Linux user just yet, I basically got my hands on mini PC recently and thought I'd turn it into a RetroPie machine. I already have a Raspberry Pi (two, in fact), but there are emulators I can run on this that I can't run on those. I've got almost everything set up and working great, just got Fuse to go. I have no idea what to do with these files, but I will have a tinker and see what happens. :lol: Thanks Peter, really appreciate the help. :)
jamesh
Dizzy

Post by jamesh »

GreenCard wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:54 pm I've got almost everything set up and working great, just got Fuse to go.
man fuse is quite helpful, too :) However, one important bit -- you definitely want to use --graphics-filter/-g. Without it the default (up)scaling looks horrible.
sn3j
Manic Miner

Post by sn3j »

There's an option <strictaspecthint>0</strictaspecthint> in your .fuserc which seems to keep the aspect ratio if set to 1, but I can't confirm - don't even know how to go fullscreen. :D
POKE 23614,10: STOP      1..0 hold, SS/m/n colors, b/spc toggle
GreenCard
Dynamite Dan

Post by GreenCard »

Cheers for the tips, people. I've come to the conclusion that I have no idea whatsoever as to what I'm doing, despite reading up on things and following various tutorials. I've decided it's not worth giving myself a brain aneurysm over it, I'll just use Fuse on the Pi instead. :lol:
jamesh
Dizzy

Post by jamesh »

sn3j wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 12:20 am There's an option <strictaspecthint>0</strictaspecthint> in your .fuserc which seems to keep the aspect ratio if set to 1
Technical nitpick (for those reading it later): both strictaspecthint and aspecthint are available as command line switches (--no-strict-aspect-hint / --no-aspect-hint), but window resizing logic ultimately relies on filters/scalers and affects the window size only. Emulator screen output size is still controlled by "filter"/scaler (--graphics-filter or Options->Filter...) -- that is the one you need to change to fine tune the appearance and directly control the output window size. As a bonus you can get nice retro scanlines :)
GreenCard
Dynamite Dan

Post by GreenCard »

I thought I'd beat myself up a bit more and have another crack at this. Again, I have no proper idea what I'm actually doing, so if someone could tell me what I'm doing wrong it'd be much appreciated.

- I first made sure I have all the dependencies installed (listed here)
- I clone the repository that Peter provided a link to
- Then I "cd" into that folder
- I enter the command "./configure --with-sdl"
- Then "make"
- I get an error saying Automake 1.16 is missing
- I check my version of Automake, tells me it's v1.16.5

I'm at a computer, tearing my hair out. Exists are: out of the window

What now?

;)
StooB
Dynamite Dan

Post by StooB »

GreenCard wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 11:53 am Again, I have no proper idea what I'm actually doing, so if someone could tell me what I'm doing wrong it'd be much appreciated
This is all you need:

Code: Select all

sudo apt install fuse-emulator* spectrum-roms
There's no need to compile anything.
GreenCard
Dynamite Dan

Post by GreenCard »

StooB wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 12:29 pm This is all you need:

sudo apt install fuse-emulator* spectrum-roms
There's no need to compile anything.
That was one of the first things I tried, but without the asterisk and without "spectrum-roms." Just tried it again, and as before, it installs, I have two icons in my apps list (one for GTK, one for SDL), but neither of them do anything when I click on them. I've tried starting them from the bin folder, nothing happens there either.
StooB
Dynamite Dan

Post by StooB »

Run it from a console with the command fuse-gtk or fuse-sdl.
GreenCard
Dynamite Dan

Post by GreenCard »

StooB wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 2:41 pm Run it from a console with the command fuse-gtk or fuse-sdl.
Thanks for the suggestion. Just tried both of those, got an error saying...

home/user/.fuserc:1: parser error : Start tag expected, '<' not found
accelerated loader=1
^
fuse: error: error reading config file
fuse: error: error initialising -- giving up!
jamesh
Dizzy

Post by jamesh »

GreenCard wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 4:45 pm

home/user/.fuserc:1: parser error : Start tag expected, '<' not found
"rm -f ~/.fuserc", it's no longer a valid XML.
GreenCard
Dynamite Dan

Post by GreenCard »

jamesh wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 5:27 pm "rm -f ~/.fuserc", it's no longer a valid XML.
Woohoo! That worked! Thanks, jamesh! :)

It's still stretched in full screen mode though. :lol: At least these releases have a "quadruple size" option in the filters menu - the one I was using before only went as high as 3x. So, even though I can't have it displaying properly in full screen without stretching, I can at least have it take up more of the screen. I'll take that. Many thanks again. :)
8BitSC
Microbot

Post by 8BitSC »

GreenCard wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 12:48 amI’ll just use Fuse on the Pi instead. :lol:
I’m using fuse-gtk on a Pi5 and it’s fine for most Speccy stuff but as soon as I try to load a TZX file, fuse grinds to an absolute crawl. Mouse pointer starts jumping around and the Speccy screen borders (loading stripes) stop updating.

Other apps still respond normally, but fuse just sits there being completely unresponsive until it eventually finishes chewing through the TZX; then everything returns to normal.

Oddly, I don’t see the same issues on a Pi4…
GreenCard
Dynamite Dan

Post by GreenCard »

8BitSC wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 7:44 pmOddly, I don’t see the same issues on a Pi4…
Yeah, I use it on a Pi4 and it works flawlessly there. :)