Rockfall 3

People are still making stuff for the Sinclair related machines. Tell us about new games and other software that runs on the Spectrum, ZX80/ZX81, Pentagon and Next.
equinox
Dynamite Dan

Rockfall 3

Post by equinox »

Bonjour,
I have finished my little Rockfall 3 project. And here it is.

What's old:
  • the Rockfall 1 game engine
What's new:
  • font and loading screen
  • unlike previous Rockfalls, works properly in 128K mode (it's a nasty multiload on 48K only)
  • menu system with trophies, per-level high scores, and gradual unlocking of the 6 worlds (you can move between them)
  • 6 themed worlds × 10 maps × 2 modes = 120 levels to solve
  • Each level has a basic jewel quota, plus a special challenge which might involve a larger quota, time or scoring restrictions, invisibility, or changes to the map
  • some really bad puns, oh, I love puns
The earliest levels should be quite easy (if you've played Rockfall or Boulder Dash, which I know you have). But the last few get into real "Kaizo" territory... :evil: However, there is no lives system, so you can keep playing until you get bored or crazy.
equinox
Dynamite Dan

Re: Rockfall 3

Post by equinox »

Damn, just found a bug where memory is shared that shouldn't be, and it can stomp over the high scores while you are playing.
Ugh.
Never mind, nobody has really played it yet. The only feedback so far has been that the graphics suck. NOSTALGIA, GUYS, IT'S NOSTALGIA.

Await a correct version for the archive.
Andre Leao
Bugaboo

Post by Andre Leao »

Hum... I'm playing it. Two puzzles every day.
Andre Leao
Bugaboo

Post by Andre Leao »

equinox wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 4:49 am
Never mind, nobody has really played it yet. The only feedback so far has been that the graphics suck. NOSTALGIA, GUYS, IT'S NOSTALGIA.

Await a correct version for the archive.
Step by step... ;)
equinox
Dynamite Dan

Post by equinox »

Andre Leao wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:56 pm Step by step... ;)
Total horror. Thanks man.
I've done an RZX but I refuse to publish it. (I also had to do it "per world" because there are six long worlds, and Spectaculator fucks it up if you record longer than a few hours.)

(By the way, high-score issue was a lie. I thought I was confusing a byte with eight bytes; but I was confusing a byte with eight bits, therefore nothing was overwriting anything. God how embarrassing. Can you imagine I do programming in my day job? I literally just did "touch" on the rockfall3 files so that people would assume they had been fixed.)

I will add that there's a little anti-cheat sh*t in there to stop Gerard Sweeney POKEing my game into the Tipshop. Gerard: "But you're the only person who has submitted anything to the Tipshop since 2022". Oh damn why do I keep digging my own hole
Andre Leao
Bugaboo

Post by Andre Leao »

I'm enjoying the diversity of the worlds, each one completely different from the others. Wonderful job you've done.
Andre Leao
Bugaboo

Post by Andre Leao »

$#%& :o :o :o

equinox
Dynamite Dan

Post by equinox »

Andre Leao wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 5:54 pm $#%& :o :o :o
Oopsy, you did something very special.
Pro-tip: if you want to "remove" an enemy, make a tiny T shape, because then they will run there and never come out again.
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

equinox wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 4:49 am Await a correct version for the archive.
Is this finalised @equinox? Was this made using the Rockfall Designer, or is it a custom MOD?
Jbizzel
Dynamite Dan

Post by Jbizzel »

@equinox I had a lot of fun with this game. Nice at 300% cpu in fuse.
equinox
Dynamite Dan

Post by equinox »

R-Tape wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 4:36 pm Is this finalised @equinox? Was this made using the Rockfall Designer, or is it a custom MOD?
Yes, it's finished. The Rockfall Designer is only a map editor: I had to add a lot of code for the menus, trophy system, graphics etc., so it's really a new game with the same "engine".
equinox
Dynamite Dan

Post by equinox »

Jbizzel wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:46 am @equinox I had a lot of fun with this game. Nice at 300% cpu in fuse.
300% is DARING. You won't be able to do some later levels that way :)
Yeah I would like the basic engine to run faster: 200% is all right. I would favour 150 or 180%. But I didn't code that, I'm just borrowing it from the author.
Thank you for playing!
equinox
Dynamite Dan

Post by equinox »

Incidentally, Rockfall 3 has been a challenge for some emulators. lol. Go figure. I made it like a quilt, putting stuff together. But I find this discussion really funny. (Yes I'm famous for boozing on the Discord as well as here. Forgive me.)

https://ibb.co/MVnWR5t

In this case I think the issue was AY chip detection by listening to the port. But I borrowed that bit from Rockfall 1 (quilt) so I'm blessed if I know. I wrote: "the Rockfall games seem like a perfect storm for breaking emulators. there's the weird jumps back and forth between BASIC & machine code; the Currah microspeech stuff; and i also remember years ago there was a [bank-related] bug in multiple emulators that consistently manifested while trying to record an RZX of Rockfall II. but i forget what the bug was. very strange game. (the only winning move is to beat level 20)"
equinox
Dynamite Dan

Post by equinox »

Andre Leao wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:03 am I'm enjoying the diversity of the worlds
That's how I got the funding