Cricket?

This is the place for general discussion and updates about the ZXDB Database. This forum is not specific to Spectrum Computing.

Moderator: druellan

Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Cricket?

Post by Einar Saukas »

These games have similar graphics:

https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/entry/2 ... st_Cricket
https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/entry/2 ... st_Cricket

They appear too similar to be just a coincidence...

Also both were originally released as "Test Cricket", but later Bug-Byte renamed its release to "International Cricket".

Does anyone have more details?
flange
Drutt

Re: Cricket?

Post by flange »

Just had a quick play of both and have to say they are two totally different games which may share a similar graphic for the players but given that it's cricket there isn't a whole lot of design choice graphic wise.

Controls, menus and the way the players actually play are all different between the two games so in my opinion just a slight graphical coincidence.
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

Yes, the code is completely different, but I still suspect the graphics are too similar to be just a coincidence.

Perhaps the same artist created the graphics for both. Or perhaps one of them copied graphics from the other.
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

No idea. I'm completely stumped.

sorry
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
Rorthron
Dynamite Dan

Post by Rorthron »

To me the graphics look far too similar to be chance resemblances.

The Graham Gooch game might have been an update of the 1986 Bug-Byte version to fill the licence. (Cf World Cup Carnival.) The "Original by M J McLean" text on the loading screen is interesting.

I might have missed something, but is there actually any material relating to the 1986 Test Cricket game in the archive? I could only see content for and references to the rereleases (as International Cricket).
StooB
Dynamite Dan

Post by StooB »

Graham Gooch is a conversion of the C64 original and is from 1985, not 1986 as is currently listed, although there is also an updated 1986 version with a sticker saying "new 1986 version" on the front.

Argus didn't start using the Bug-Byte label until late 85, but based on the cover style and barcode their game actually appears to be from early 1988. This is the same time as Argus was becoming Grandslam which is presumably why this version is particularly rare.
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

Rorthron wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 5:38 pm To me the graphics look far too similar to be chance resemblances.
Agreed.

Rorthron wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 5:38 pm I might have missed something, but is there actually any material relating to the 1986 Test Cricket game in the archive?
No, we don't have any material from the first Bug Byte release. That's explained here.
Einar Saukas
Bugaboo

Post by Einar Saukas »

StooB wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 6:25 pm based on the cover style and barcode their game actually appears to be from early 1988.
Agreed. The second Bug Byte release was already marked as 1988.