New multi platform emulator - Speculator

Struggling with Fuse or trying to find an emulator with a specific feature. Ask your questions here.
Turtle_Quality
Manic Miner

New multi platform emulator - Speculator

Post by Turtle_Quality »

The author mentioned this on FB -

Developed on a Mac environment, ZX Speculator is also tested on Windows and passes all the ZEXDOC tests and FUSE emulator tests.

Features
Sound: Utilizes OpenAL on Mac and Windows for sound emulation.
Integrated Debugger: Includes a built-in debugger for examination of the Z80 CPU state, including:
Instruction stepping.
Breakpoints.
Instruction history.
Rollback: Die in your favourite game? Accidentally delete a line of code? Continuous recording allows you to 'roll back' to an earlier time. (F1 will roll back 5 seconds.)
Drag and drop file opening.

https://github.com/deanthecoder/ZXSpecu ... pkuEV32Lec
Definition of loop : see loop
Ralf
Rick Dangerous

Re: New multi platform emulator - Speculator

Post by Ralf »

I've tried it and it is really promising - nice looking, easy to install and use.

Currenlty it supports only basic 48kB model but I guess it may change in the future.

Just the name is unfortunate, easy to confuse with Spectaculator.
Turtle_Quality
Manic Miner

Post by Turtle_Quality »

"Just the name is unfortunate, easy to confuse with Spectaculator."

I did a search here to check it hadn't already been discussed here, and found about 4 or 5 hits where people had mis-typed Spectaculator, plus a couple referring to the Spectrum game Speculator
Definition of loop : see loop
GRC7800
Drutt

Post by GRC7800 »

This looks great!

One question, however:

How does one load a multi-load game like R-type? After side 1 loads, it asks to flip to side 2, which I obviously can’t do. Interestingly, the same .tap fie loads up straight to the game on Fuse.

I like the simplicity of this new emulator, but I can’t figure out how to play my favorite game!
arjun
Microbot

Post by arjun »

Looks spiffy! Love the keyboard and time travel options.I've never heard of the Avalonia framework before, but it seems like a very cool multi platform C# framework. But bugger me, 99 Euros a year? Wow. Makes sense (kinda) if you're a professional .net developer.

Anyway, some feedback:
* The lack of a tape browser or some ways to manually load in blocks of tape data is sorely missed. As GRC7800 pointed out, multi-loads won't work without that - unless you plan to implement an auto-loader of some sorts based on tape loading detection. Maybe just an option to "play tape" (continuing to the next block) would be a good start.

* The emulation speed option doesn't seem to latch on correctly if I switch tapes. I moved it to higher speeds but on switching it would sometimes drop back to 1x (or at least the icons suggested so).

* The emulation speed also seems to trip up some programs from playing correctly if I loaded in the tape at high speeds.

* Flags for some instructions aren't being set correctly and so it fails some tests from Z80 Test Suite program that can be found - along with other useful tests - here.

* Looks like there is no contention support but that can wait!

* I couldn't get Aquaplane to load.

* Zynaps crashed randomly after I started level 1.

Look forward to further updates. Promising start so far. Keep going!
DeanTheCoder
Drutt

Post by DeanTheCoder »

Hi there,

* For the most part Avalonia is free - It's only 'out of the box' cross-platform WPF support that is paid-for. It's a great library and definitely worth checking out.
* Multi-load tape support is near the top of my 'to do' list. Most games I like to play don't need it, but it'd be good to support the others.
* The dodgy emulation speed bug was fixed a couple of days ago. I'll make a new release soon.

Thanks very much for the feedback! I have spent soooo long writing it that it's good that others like it too. :)
Woodster
Drutt

Post by Woodster »

DeanTheCoder wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 3:01 pm * The dodgy emulation speed bug was fixed a couple of days ago. I'll make a new release soon.
Feel free to join our discord where dodgy emulation bugs are often discussed!
https://discord.gg/Ur4JgYCf
arjun
Microbot

Post by arjun »

Woodster wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 3:16 pm Feel free to join our discord where dodgy emulation bugs are often discussed!
https://discord.gg/Ur4JgYCf
Along with other nonsense, so it's all good fun. :)
Woodster
Drutt

Post by Woodster »

arjun wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 1:23 pm Along with other nonsense, so it's all good fun. :)
It's bits of everything. General chat, throw emulation info at each other, help solve each others' problems, talk sh*t, pick on Richard..
Main thing is everyone's welcome to come and join in. Or even just lurk and read up on all the old emulation chat history.
mjwilson
Dizzy

Post by mjwilson »

Turtle_Quality wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 5:58 pm Rollback: Die in your favourite game? Accidentally delete a line of code? Continuous recording allows you to 'roll back' to an earlier time. (F1 will roll back 5 seconds.)
Ooh that sounds like it could be interesting for reversible debugging.
ZXDunny
Manic Miner

Post by ZXDunny »

It's looking promising, certainly. Getting a few errors in the test suites but if this is an early stage of development, it's going real well so far.

I do hope the author decides to join the speccy discord, the emulation chat in there is incredibly helpful.
druellan
Dynamite Dan

Post by druellan »

I was also testing it (Windows 10) and looks really nice, really surprised how good the beeper emulation is at this stage. Besides things mentioned above, I also found that loading a zip file, sometimes misses the first block.
zxbruno
Manic Miner

Post by zxbruno »

Turtle_Quality wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:13 pm "Just the name is unfortunate, easy to confuse with Spectaculator."

I did a search here to check it hadn't already been discussed here, and found about 4 or 5 hits where people had mis-typed Spectaculator, plus a couple referring to the Spectrum game Speculator
I could swear there used to be an emulator for Mac named Speculator, around 20 years ago. Something that ran on System 7? I can't find it right now. And there was one for the Amiga with the same name: https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/tool/98/Speculator

edit: The one for Mac was called Spectacle

https://macintoshgarden.org/apps/mac-spectacle