Super rare old Spectrum game discovered!

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
Gears of Games
Drutt

Super rare old Spectrum game discovered!

Post by Gears of Games »

Found this in my attic the other day! Wonder what it could be worth?! :D

cmal
Manic Miner

Re: Super rare old Spectrum game discovered!

Post by cmal »

Interesting find! Never heard of "Monstertronic". Looks like it's trying to copy Mastertronic.
lister_of_smeg
Microbot

Post by lister_of_smeg »

Gears of Games wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 4:52 pm Wonder what it could be worth?! :D
It'd be worth checking the screenshot for attribute cells with 3 colours ;)

Great job all the same, though! :D
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

Looks like I slept right through March. They'd be onto a winner if they took a proper sportsman like Jack Charlton.

(Fine work btw :mrgreen: )
Gears of Games
Drutt

Post by Gears of Games »

lister_of_smeg wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 7:30 pm It'd be worth checking the screenshot for attribute cells with 3 colours ;)

Great job all the same, though! :D
Thanks! :) I do put an effort in to make the attributes correct, but usually make one that has more than two colours! Just not to disappoint anyone that looks closer! But can't remember which one I messed up here, it's a couple of years ago I made this. :D
Gears of Games
Drutt

Post by Gears of Games »

cmal wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 7:18 pm Interesting find! Never heard of "Monstertronic". Looks like it's trying to copy Mastertronic.
They are pretty lazy though, just blatantly ripping of the Mastertronic logo like that!
XTM
Manic Miner

Post by XTM »

The young padawan (in regards to correct Speccy gfx) needs to know that you can't have bright 1 and bright 0 in the same 8x1 pixel row, or in the same 8x8 pixels attribute cell under "normal" circumstances (=not using any sort of multicolour routine/engine). In any case, Paper and Ink will always have the same brightness level.

So for example, your bright 1 yellow sun or the bright 1 white clouds on a bright 0 white sky are impossible.
Gears of Games
Drutt

Post by Gears of Games »

XTM wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:17 am The young padawan (in regards to correct Speccy gfx) needs to know that you can't have bright 1 and bright 0 in the same 8x1 pixel row, or in the same 8x8 pixels attribute cell under "normal" circumstances (=not using any sort of multicolour routine/engine). In any case, Paper and Ink will always have the same brightness level.

So for example, your bright 1 yellow sun or the bright 1 white clouds on a bright 0 white sky are impossible.
Damn! I have no memory of that! :lol:
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

We didn't think it was possible, but maybe... life found a way.
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
Gears of Games
Drutt

Post by Gears of Games »

Morkin wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 1:21 pm We didn't think it was possible, but maybe... life found a way.
and NHL always finds a way! To make more $$$! :)
Timmy
Manic Miner

Post by Timmy »

Gears of Games wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 4:52 pm Found this in my attic the other day! Wonder what it could be worth?! :D
I'd definitely give you -50 quid for it. :D
XTM
Manic Miner

Post by XTM »

Timmy wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 5:04 pm I'd definitely give you -50 quid for it. :D
Mate, that is quite unreasonable. You should at least add -5 packets of Rolo, or, seeing as you are Dutch, -5 stroopwaffels, mmkay?
Gears of Games
Drutt

Post by Gears of Games »

Timmy wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 5:04 pm I'd definitely give you -50 quid for it. :D
Awfully decent of you! :D
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

There’s a couple of typos that need to be fixed in the loading instructions: tap —> tape, “symbol” in “symbol SHIFT” needs to be capitalized, and I’m not sure if the “R Type Loading Error” is a nod to Dave or also a typo. ;)

P.S. I’d use straight quotes (shocker!) for the LOAD "" instruction. Sacrilege, I know, but correct for the Spectrum. Now, in the game instructions themselves, all quotes and apostrophes should be curly, though.
:D
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
XoRRoX
Manic Miner

Post by XoRRoX »

Ast A. Moore wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:30 pm There’s a couple of typos that need to be fixed in the loading instructions: tap —> tape, “symbol” in “symbol SHIFT” needs to be capitalized, and I’m not sure if the “R Type Loading Error” is a nod to Dave or also a typo. ;)

P.S. I’d use straight quotes (shocker!) for the LOAD "" instruction. Sacrilege, I know, but correct for the Spectrum. Now, in the game instructions themselves, all quotes and apostrophes should be curly, though.
Good advice from Ast - The Master Forger :)
Gears of Games
Drutt

Post by Gears of Games »

Ast A. Moore wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:30 pm There’s a couple of typos that need to be fixed in the loading instructions: tap —> tape, “symbol” in “symbol SHIFT” needs to be capitalized, and I’m not sure if the “R Type Loading Error” is a nod to Dave or also a typo. ;)

Given how the texts often were back in the day, I was rather thinking I needed more typos to make it look legit! :D
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

Gears of Games wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 4:38 pm Given how the texts often were back in the day, I was rather thinking I needed more typos to make it look legit! :D
Fair enough, but then you need to emulate the halftone grid in the colored portions of the J-card, apply some relicing, and convert the whole thing to CMYK. :lol:
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
Gears of Games
Drutt

Post by Gears of Games »

Ast A. Moore wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 7:08 pm Fair enough, but then you need to emulate the halftone grid in the colored portions of the J-card, apply some relicing, and convert the whole thing to CMYK. :lol:
Had this been a paying job, absolutely! :D
Mpk
Dynamite Dan

Post by Mpk »

In a similar vein, this popped up on The Socials the other day