PlusD: upgrading G+DOS, and patching Beta DOS

Anything relating to non Sinclair computers from the 1980's, 90's or even before.
flatduckrecords
Manic Miner

PlusD: upgrading G+DOS, and patching Beta DOS

Post by flatduckrecords »

I contributed a few changes to ZXDB to help any PlusD users who want to apply Miles Kinloch's patches for Beta DOS. (If you're not already using Beta DOS, I'd recommend it).

The betafix program is now available as a standalone disk, and the instructions have been extracted to a plaintext file.

I've also submitted similar changes to the ZXDB entry for Miles’ earlier Bugfixes program. You don't need to use both patchers (Betafix 2 contains everything) but it includes a useful program that demonstrates the bugs (and shows the patches working if you apply them). The filenames aren't clear* but there is "BUGTEST", "BETAFIX" and "GDOSFIX" on separate tape images if you need them.

ZXDB already has a ready-made Beta DOS disk image (which has been patched, although I'm not sure how it was derived) but it's configured for a single drive so it might not be what you need. I prefer to start from a fresh copy of G+DOS 2a from the System Tape, run the configuration tool (to set up specific drive parameters and printer options), then convert it to Beta DOS 1.3 using Beta DOS Maker ("BDM"), and finally patch the resulting system file with Betafix 2. (…and then save a working copy of that somewhere safe…)

Hat-tip to Simon N Goodwin for mentioning these patches elsewhere, and kudos to the mighty minds of Bruce, Andy and Miles!

* I've gone back and submitted "notes" on the files to tell them apart.
jamesh
Dizzy

Re: PlusD: upgrading G+DOS, and patching Beta DOS

Post by jamesh »

flatduckrecords wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:36 pm ZXDB already has a ready-made Beta DOS disk image (which has been patched, although I'm not sure how it was derived) but it's configured for a single drive so it might not be what you need. I prefer to start from a fresh copy of G+DOS 2a from the System Tape, run the configuration tool (to set up specific drive parameters and printer options), then convert it to Beta DOS 1.3 using Beta DOS Maker ("BDM"), and finally patch the resulting system file with Betafix 2. (…and then save a working copy of that somewhere safe…)
I was always asking myself why would they implement a highly unusual approach with the second part being loaded from disk. Surely, Beta (and Uni) DOS had a good use for that, but MGT didn't do this to ensure Beta DOS success, didn't they?

Anyway, I believe you actually wanted to link to the Beta DOS 1.3 + Beta Basic 3 #ID: 14011 record as a source of the "vanilla" Beta DOS Maker.
flatduckrecords
Manic Miner

Re: PlusD: upgrading G+DOS, and patching Beta DOS

Post by flatduckrecords »

jamesh wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 2:32 pm Anyway, I believe you actually wanted to link to the Beta DOS 1.3 + Beta Basic 3 #ID: 14011 record as a source of the "vanilla" Beta DOS Maker.
Thanks, yes that's the one I meant!
jamesh wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 2:32 pmI was always asking myself why would they implement a highly unusual approach with the second part being loaded from disk. Surely, Beta (and Uni) DOS had a good use for that, but MGT didn't do this to ensure Beta DOS success, didn't they?
Do you mean why did it need a system-disk at all? Yeah (the aforementioned) Simon argued it was unnecessary in his review of the PlusD for Crash #49 it does make it more flexible though, and you can customise your drive and printer settings; even mix drive-types if you want.

MGT went on to make the SAM Coupé and similarly it needs a DOS boot-disk as well, so they must have thought it was a good idea!