Dungeons & Dragons Computer Fantasy Game

People are still making stuff for the Sinclair related machines. Tell us about new games and other software that runs on the Spectrum, ZX80/ZX81, Pentagon and Next.
Gusman
Drutt

Post by Gusman »

I'm back!

Has been a while since my last release, but here it is a new one:

Is a recreation of a handheld by Mattel. This time is targeted to the 128k as I have used the development to test some new features that I'm adding to ZXBasicStudio and a new tool that I created to embedd Arkos Tracker songs to any ZX Basic program.

I tried to be faithful to the original handheld with minor changes to the screen to fit on the game engine that I created for the game.

The game has some full-color bitmap screens and 128k music.

Hope you like it :)

PROCESSED
DH 10/03/2024
arjun
Microbot

Re: Dungeons & Dragons Computer Fantasy Game

Post by arjun »

Very nice! Especially loved the graphics and sound - seems to be quite faithful to the original based on the videos I saw online.

I'm quite intrigued by the mention of ZX Basic studio. I haven't heard of that before. I checked out the github repo but there are zero details on what the project is about. I downloaded the beta release on my mac but can't appear to run the program. The video link posted on the github page point to a private video page. lol. Why??
Gusman
Drutt

Post by Gusman »

arjun wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:04 pm Very nice! Especially loved the graphics and sound - seems to be quite faithful to the original based on the videos I saw online.

I'm quite intrigued by the mention of ZX Basic studio. I haven't heard of that before. I checked out the github repo but there are zero details on what the project is about. I downloaded the beta release on my mac but can't appear to run the program. The video link posted on the github page point to a private video page. lol. Why??
Thank you :)
I tried to be as faithfuil as possible, there are small changes to the screen disposition just to fit the char matrix in the spectrum's screen (the game never redraws the screen, I play with the attributes so what I did was to fit each "symbol" into full chars), but except for that I tried to mimic the original handheld.

About ZX Basic Studio, is an IDE that I'm developing.

Not sure what happened to the videos, aren't mine, I will remove the links as they seem to be dead...

About running in the mac, as it's not a signed program you need to remove it from quarantine, this instructions are from another of my projects but apply the same to it if you want to run the IDE: Notes for Linux and MacOS users

Cheers.
TMD2003
Rick Dangerous

Post by TMD2003 »

It looks like a Game & Watch with LCD segments in fixed places. There's been a few such conversions in recent years - and it must be one of the few occasions where the Spectrum's colour-clash cells aren't a problem as all the segments can be carefully drawn to fit inside the 8×8 cells.
Spectribution: Dr. Jim's Sinclair computing pages.
Features my own programs, modified type-ins, RZXs, character sets & UDGs, and QL type-ins... so far!
arjun
Microbot

Post by arjun »

Gusman wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:24 pm About running in the mac, as it's not a signed program you need to remove it from quarantine, this instructions are from another of my projects but apply the same to it if you want to run the IDE: Notes for Linux and MacOS users

Thanks. That did the trick!
WhatHoSnorkers
Manic Miner

Post by WhatHoSnorkers »

That looks lovely! I had a go at converting the same game a few years back, but in BASIC and not as beautiful as this!
I have a little YouTube channel of nonsense
https://www.youtube.com/c/JamesOGradyWhatHoSnorkers