Devfinitive Edition (Steve Crow): discussion

General software. From trouble with the Banyan Tree to OCP Art Studio, post any general software chat here. Could include game challenges...
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Devfinitive Edition (Steve Crow): discussion

Post by PeteProdge »

I believe Stephen J Crow has done these ZX Spectrum games...

Eliminator by Hewson
Factory Breakout by Poppy Soft
Firelord by Hewson
Hewvy Metal by US Gold
Laser Snaker by Poppy Soft
Netherworld by Hewson
Starquake by Bubble Bus
Uridium by Hewson
Uridium Plus by Hewson
Wizard's Lair by Bubble Bus
Zynaps by Hewson

...and this is the bit where you correct me before I run the poll next week!
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
R-Tape
Site Admin

Re: Devfinitive Edition (Steve Crow): discussion

Post by R-Tape »

Defo Steve Crowe's:
Firelord by Hewson
Starquake by Bubble Bus

Don't know, there's a lot of primary authors listed here:
Heavy Metal by US Gold
Netherworld by Hewson

Listed as in-game graphics in the DB
Eliminator
Uridium by Hewson
Uridium Plus by Hewson
Zynaps by Hewson
toot_toot
Manic Miner

Post by toot_toot »

According to the interview with him in Retrogamer issue 72 (here: https://issuu.com/roylazarovich/docs/retro_gamer_072 ) , the last game he programmed/developed was Firelord. After that he concentrated on graphics, working at Hewson and then Probe. He also did a lot of graphics on the C64.
Audionautas
Manic Miner

Post by Audionautas »

toot_toot wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:50 pm According to the interview with him in Retrogamer issue 72 (here: https://issuu.com/roylazarovich/docs/retro_gamer_072 ) , the last game he programmed/developed was Firelord. After that he concentrated on graphics, working at Hewson and then Probe. He also did a lot of graphics on the C64.
Exactly. Firelord was the last game Steve worked on. From then on he focused on graphics for Hewson, Probe and others to this day.
PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

Audionautas wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 2:25 pm Exactly. Firelord was the last game Steve worked on. From then on he focused on graphics for Hewson, Probe and others to this day.
Okay, Firelord came out on 29th Oct 1986 according to ZXDB.

Eliminating all games from 1987 onwards gives us:

Firelord by Hewson
Starquake by Bubble Bus
Uridium by Hewson
Uridium Plus by Hewson

The questionable ones still in there are just two: Uridium (28th Oct 1986) and its upgraded version, Uridium Plus. Stephen's name is in there, along with Andrew Braybook, Dominic Robinson, John Cumming and Steve Turner, and I think it's very likely this was just graphics, but I'd like to be sure.
Reheated Pixels - a combination of retrogaming, comedy and factual musing, is here!
New video: Nine ZX Spectrum magazine controversies - How Crash, Your Sinclair and Sinclair User managed to offend the world!
Stefan
Manic Miner

Post by Stefan »

PeteProdge wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 4:41 pm The questionable ones still in there are just two: Uridium (28th Oct 1986) and its upgraded version, Uridium Plus. Stephen's name is in there, along with Andrew Braybook, Dominic Robinson, John Cumming and Steve Turner, and I think it's very likely this was just graphics, but I'd like to be sure.
If you look further down on the page you see his role, loading screen, on both.

PeteProdge
Bugaboo

Post by PeteProdge »

Stefan wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 4:56 pm If you look further down on the page you see his role, loading screen, on both.

D'oh!

Right, so this has become like the Clive Townsend debacle today!

The refreshed list:

Firelord by Hewson
Starquake by Bubble Bus
hitm4n
Manic Miner

Post by hitm4n »

Starquake, Wizards Lair and Firelord. His list may be short, but these are 3 of the finest games to ever grace the Speccy.
Starquake is insanely good.
I don't have anything cool to put here, so i'll just be off now to see a priest with yeast stuck between his teeth and his friend called Keith who's a hairpiece thief...
Andre Leao
Bugaboo

Post by Andre Leao »

hitm4n wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:15 pm Starquake, Wizards Lair and Firelord. His list may be short, but these are 3 of the finest games to ever grace the Speccy.
Starquake is insanely good.
Starquake is a masterpiece :)
Lee P
Microbot

Post by Lee P »

I have a feeling he wrote the actual loader for Uridium as well as designing the screen. Same loader as Firelord (but not used on any other games) and it custom loads all 48K in one block, as do both of his Bubble Bus games. We have Hewson Slowload, so perhaps that's Hewson Crowload.

Never got into Wizard's Lair but spent many an hour exploring both Starquake and Firelord.