New Game: Nectar

People are still making stuff for the Sinclair related machines. Tell us about new games and other software that runs on the Spectrum, ZX80/ZX81, Pentagon and Next.
luny
Manic Miner

New Game: Nectar

Post by luny »

New release is now available on https://luny666.itch.io/nectar.
This is a fast paced arcade game for the ZX Spectrum 48k.

The aim is to fill up with the special alien nectar, from the right, and take it to the bottle for process, on the left.
You can convert the nectar into potent firepower when carrying it to ward of the local aliens which are out to kill you.
Simple but fun arcade action.

PROCESSED
DH 17/03/24
I code to live (Job) and I live to code (Retro). One of them has to give!
R-Tape
Site Admin

Re: New Game: Nectar

Post by R-Tape »

Great stuff. It's got a touch of PSSST and Cookie about it :dance
Spoiler
A few little things:

Bug - the score doesn't reset to zero when you die.
If you want to, you can remove the 'Bytes' message while loading with POKE 23739,111 (if your game uses the ROM you can replenish it when the game starts with 23739,244)
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

It's deceptively hard. I've got a mental block with those bloody purple diagonal things - I can't suss when they're going to get a turbo boost. After that I managed 5 or 6 levels in when the sprite types start mixing.
luny
Manic Miner

Post by luny »

Thanks to R-Type's eagle eye, I have now fixed a score bug that he spotted and have updated the files on Itch.
Ast A. Moore
Rick Dangerous

Post by Ast A. Moore »

Ah, finally a new Spectrum game that’s hand-coded, not AGDed (if I got it right). With great graphics to boot! Much appreciated.

Bloody hard, though. :D

P.S. Not sure why the TZX file contains raw data, given that the loader seems to utilize the standard ROM routines.

P.P.S. It would be great if the pod graphics reflected the amount of nectar. Currently, you have to rely solely on the number of “fill-up” sounds (which are reminiscent of one of the sound effects from Deviants). A visual clue would be nice.
Every man should plant a tree, build a house, and write a ZX Spectrum game.

Author of A Yankee in Iraq, a 50 fps shoot-’em-up—the first game to utilize the floating bus on the +2A/+3,
and zasm Z80 Assembler syntax highlighter.
clebin
Manic Miner

Post by clebin »

Great work, Luny. Highly addictive and just a little frustrating!

Do you reckon easy/hard modes would be a possibility? In easy mode, the nectar level wouldn't reset when you lose a life to allow a bit more progress. Also, perhaps a small delay after shooting an enemy before it respawns. As it stands, there's not much reward for shooting things in terms of helping you complete the level, it's more of a last resort (plus the BONUS letters, but I've not managed that yet).

With a few little tweaks I think you're on the verge of greatness. Cookie, Pssst, The Pyramid etc are among my favourites, so it's right up my street.
luny
Manic Miner

Post by luny »

Thanks Clebin.

Some nice ideas there. I was considering keeping the nectar levels between lives. Not sure when I'll get time to work on it next, but I'll keep those ideas in mind. Thanks.
Bedazzle
Manic Miner

Post by Bedazzle »

Some dirty implementation of loader:
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/ijvfsplp ... 42q55&dl=0
Morkin
Bugaboo

Post by Morkin »

Nice shooter this :)

I like the idea that when you collect the nectar you can use it as bullets though you lose your firepower when you fill the tube thing.

Occasionally I managed to clear a wave so that no more aliens appeared, but couldn't figure out if it was random or happened after I destroying a certain number.

Level 2 is loads easier than level 1, the alien movement patterns are very predictable. I'm slightly ashamed to say I did a bit of camping and shooting just to collect the B-O-N-U-S. :oops:

Haven't managed to get past level 3 (the cyan spherical robot-y things). In fact I only got there once, then failed to get past level 1 on subsequent attempts.
My Speccy site: thirdharmoniser.com
luny
Manic Miner

Post by luny »

Morkin wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:48 pm Nice shooter this :)

I like the idea that when you collect the nectar you can use it as bullets though you lose your firepower when you fill the tube thing.

Occasionally I managed to clear a wave so that no more aliens appeared, but couldn't figure out if it was random or happened after I destroying a certain number.

Level 2 is loads easier than level 1, the alien movement patterns are very predictable. I'm slightly ashamed to say I did a bit of camping and shooting just to collect the B-O-N-U-S. :oops:

Haven't managed to get past level 3 (the cyan spherical robot-y things). In fact I only got there once, then failed to get past level 1 on subsequent attempts.
Hmm, looks like you have found a bug. I'll have to have a play.

I was hoping to find a bit of time to make a new game, but I'm starting to think maybe a version of Nectar that is committee driven, as there have been some good ideas and some interesting feedback.
luny
Manic Miner

Post by luny »

Ast A. Moore wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:28 pm Ah, finally a new Spectrum game that’s hand-coded, not AGDed (if I got it right). With great graphics to boot! Much appreciated.

Bloody hard, though. :D

P.S. Not sure why the TZX file contains raw data, given that the loader seems to utilize the standard ROM routines.

P.P.S. It would be great if the pod graphics reflected the amount of nectar. Currently, you have to rely solely on the number of “fill-up” sounds (which are reminiscent of one of the sound effects from Deviants). A visual clue would be nice.
Ok everyone, I found a bit of time to update Nectar. This one is based on Ast's suggestion of knowing how much nectar you are carrying. So I have added an 'energy' bar at the bottom of the screen to reflect this.

Thanks Bedazzle. I've now got a decent tool together for making a decent .TAP file easily.
luny
Manic Miner

Post by luny »

luny wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:37 pm Hmm, looks like you have found a bug. I'll have to have a play.

I was hoping to find a bit of time to make a new game, but I'm starting to think maybe a version of Nectar that is committee driven, as there have been some good ideas and some interesting feedback.
Bug is now fixed.
luny
Manic Miner

Post by luny »

I've added a small update to Nectar. There is now a learners mode, selected from the main menu, which starts with an easier level and you don't lose collected nectar between lives.

Find it at https://luny666.itch.io/nectar
R-Tape
Site Admin

Post by R-Tape »

luny wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:39 pm There is now a learners mode, selected from the main menu, which starts with an easier level and you don't lose collected nectar between lives.
Great idea. There's a bug though - if you complete a level in learner mode it gets stuck in a loop. It looks like it tried to start a new level, but automatically completes it as the test tube is not reset to zero (still full).
luny
Manic Miner

Post by luny »

R-Tape wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:46 pm Great idea. There's a bug though - if you complete a level in learner mode it gets stuck in a loop. It looks like it tried to start a new level, but automatically completes it as the test tube is not reset to zero (still full).
Thanks R-Tape. Now fixed and replaced.