ZX Spectrum Emu - Booting issue

The place for codemasters or beginners to talk about programming any language for the Spectrum.
OhhJordy
Drutt

ZX Spectrum Emu - Booting issue

Post by OhhJordy »

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone was able to point me in the right direction. It's my first time working on emulation and I have been working on a ZX Spectrum Emulator. I have got to a point where I am completely stuck after debugging and logging the hell out of it I still cannot figure out what the issue is. Not asking for anyone to do it for me, possibly just to find people with more experience to help me figure it out. I'm not the most experienced programmer and have no history with emulation, so please if you can help at all I would be so grateful :) .

When I run the emulator, it boots the ROM and gets stuck on a grey screen which has "C Sinclair Research Ltd" at the bottom. I'm aware that it is supposed to move on from this screen but unsure why it does not even with keypress. I believe the issue may be related to my interrupts but at this point, I have been looking at it for so long that I have no idea.

Not sure If this is even the right place to receive support on this, but it is kind of my last hope.

https://github.com/OhhJordy/ZX-Spectrum-Emu
AndyC
Dynamite Dan

Re: ZX Spectrum Emu - Booting issue

Post by AndyC »

I've only had a quick squint at the code, but can't quite see how your interrupts are supposed to work. halt seems to set an internal variable but I can't see where it is used. The actual implementation of maskable interrupts seems to be inside an nmi function (which seems weird) but I can't see where that is triggered from.

Might be worth a few pointers to how you think it is supposed to work, then doubtless someone can put you back on the right lines
arjun
Microbot

Re: ZX Spectrum Emu - Booting issue

Post by arjun »

AndyC wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:03 pm Might be worth a few pointers to how you think it is supposed to work, then doubtless someone can put you back on the right lines
He had reached out on discord and some suggestions have been put forth to him, in case anyone was wondering about the apparent lack of response from emulation authors. :)